What are the chances?

NVPete

Very Active Member
What are the chances of one buck shedding right on top of another's antlers? Or, say, with thousands of acres to roam, a buck shedding in an exact spot or location from one year to the next? Glassing from an opposite hillside, I was sure I'd found a match...
7247061.jpg

BUT,it was not to be...
1249062.jpg

I managed to have a good hunt,too! (albeit all "whiteys"):)
152023.jpg

Thats pretty cool! However, looking at the pictures and comparing the horns I don't think they are a match. The brow and fronts don't look very similar. I may be wrong, I don't have the horns in front of me. Cool find though.

Uh bigboney...I think that the more obvious reason that they are not a match is that they are both the same side...:)
Pete, sweet finds! When I first started antler hunting, I found 2 big 4 points right next to each other, same story, same side and the bucks were very different and one was a year older than the other. Last year I found 3 horns under the same tree, two were a year old and one was from 2 years before, all from different bucks. Pretty unusual for sure.

If you read the text above each picture you will see that Pete knows its not the same side

I have found the same thing with blacktails sheds on multiple occasions.

I believe it is a territorial thing, and the bucks do it on purpose.

I've found two deer antlers laying on top of each other that were from different bucks. I ended up finding the other halves to each buck.

I also found a match to an elk antler I'd found 3 years prior laying right on top of the bull's previous year's shed. It took me a bit to process what I'd found. I'd spotted the side about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away through the spotting scope. It's in a fairly remote spot, so I'm pretty sure no one had been there to stack them like that.

I like the territorial idea; could that explain why if you clean out a "honey hole", that it might not exist the next year.
I was thinking they had found the comfy, shaded spot under a big tree, but your pic shows just a little old bush. Throw that random thought away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom