What are you all seeing?

Bocephus

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-19 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]So far this summer has been the toughest I have had locating not only bucks but deer in general. I am thinking all this moisture has them scattered all over and I cant find a concentration like years past. I'm in southern Utah. How you all doing in your neck of the woods?

Seeing a few decent bucks, antler growth seems later than normal this year, or maybe the bucks I'm seeing are just smaller. Some of them sure are heavy and stubby though, which is usually a good sign early.

Here in southeastern Utah, the deer seem to be a little late in growing and they are definitely more spread out with more water than normal. It looks like there are quite a few acorns too, so that should add a little extra challenge if they stay in the thick. The elk, on the other hand, seem to be finishing up already as per normal. At least the big ones anyway. It would be a good year to have a tag on the San Juan for deer or elk.

It seems like I am seeing more dry does than most years. Plenty of calf elk but not many newborn fawns. Of course the grass is 3' tall but still..

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

I saw my first 200" buck of 2019 on 7/6.
I'm hoping to relocate him this coming week to see how much he's grown in the past two weeks.

see my latest wildlife pictures on I.G.
Follow me @ antler_chaser_

The bucks I've pulled on trail cam look to be about 50/50 done with growing. Nothing big yet, a few nice up and comers. I'm hoping two of the bucks I chased last year show up again, but I did hear they were wounded during the rifle hunt. Guess we'll see. So far I have one buck from last year that's shown up. He hasn't grown much. Wish my computer hadn't crashed so I could compare things better.

if they are only half grown....ridgetops buck is gonna be HUGE!!!!!

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-19 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]>if they are only half grown....ridgetops
>buck is gonna be HUGE!!!!!
>
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Already is, at least in my book. He was about a 140" buck two years ago and probably mid 170s last year.
Oh and he had a 30" 7x6 with him that was pretty impressive too. Looking like it's going to be a good year after all.
see my latest wildlife pictures on I.G.
Follow me @ antler_chaser_

I saw this neat buck with a cool droptine yesterday.

91653aaaforumpic1.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Droptines are pretty rare too, especially droptines over a couple inches long. I wonder if the droptine is done growing? It might have more to go. That buck my hunting buddy shot last year.....his droptines were each an inch long on July 30th and ended up about 3 and 4 inches long when all done. That buck also added 4 inches on back forks during August too.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Do they seem a little behind on growth this year from what you have been seeing? Seems like they should do some good growth in August - lots of bucks still balled up on tops.

That droptine is gonna be a stud - no question. You had to be excited when he walked out!!!

>I saw this neat buck with
>a cool droptine yesterday.
>
>
91653aaaforumpic1.jpg

>
>Brian Latturner
>MonsterMuleys.com
>@mm_founder on Instagram
>LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
>on Facebook!

Ohh man... Definitely one to be excited about.

I can't really say I see anything any different from any other year. Some of the bigger ones at this point are within a week of being done growing, others could grow a nice chunk in August. It's always a bit of a guessing game in July. The buck I killed last year grew maybe an inch from July 30, but that other one picked up 4 inches on the back end and several on the droptines.
I killed one another year that put on 4 inches on all back tines from the 27th of July to September 3rd.
Just have to guess and I think and hope, I get better with the more bucks I see in July and again when they're done.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I've been looking around quite a bit. In SE Wyoming, it has been a great year. Feed and water everywhere. And mosquitoes by the hordes even in sagebrush. Best mosquito year I can remember - if you like mosquitoes.

I went out yesterday to look at some good country. Saw one rag horn bull elk with about a dozen cows and calves before sunset. After 9 pm, when it was getting way too dark to see, I saw one young 4 point muley buck skylined. And I also saw 8 more bull elk in 2 bunches.

Looked this morning and saw 5 bucks. 4 when it was way too dark to look and one about 2-3 miles away before sunrise. Life is easy, pickings are good and the critters are fat and scattered. They are around, but hard to find.

I'm starting to see a few fawns with the does now. They have been hidden or buried in feed till now. A few twins and many singles. We have some areas in eastern Wyoming with sweetclover that's 3-5 feet tall. It's an easy year to hide.

He?s one I can't hunt. No tag for me. Someone else will have to get him......if they can.

>That is a beast Brian! Good
>on ya! Is that a
>buck you can hunt this
>year or is he up
>in WY?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back