What Bullet Should I Use?

Broadside_Shot

This is just a general question. I am usually hunting with a bow but I am fortunate to be able to go to Saskatchwan this fall to hunt whitetails with my rifle. The guide recomends a 270 caliber or bigger but my biggest rifle is a ruger 25-06. I have killed deer and elk with it and the outfitters said if I can shot it straight that I can use it. I was just wondering if anyone has shot this gun and what bullets did you have the best success with. Just some little particulars such as brand, grain, type, etc.

Thanks
Jerry Slaugh

I have a 25-06 as well for one of my deer rifles and absolutely love it! I have had excellent luck using Hornady's "Light Magnum" in their 117gr bullet. It is by far (in my opinion) the best over the counter deer medicine out there in that caliber.

I have never owned a 25-06 although plenty of my friends have. I would recommend you use a premium bullet like the Barnes, Nosler, Accubond, etc. in the heavier bullets 120gr. class. Those Canadian deer can be big and suck up alot of lead.
I would say the most important issue is what bullet shoots well in your gun? IMHO

If you do not handload, try Federal supreme with the Nosler Partition bullet. It usually will shoot groups under one inch in most 25-06's and will be more then tough enought to do the job.
I have used the 25-06 for over 20 years, and when I do not have time to handload, Federal Supreme with the Partitiion is the factory ammo I use. It never has failed me.

RELH

I would try the accubonds if it were me. I am working up a load right now for my 25-06 using the accubonds. Should be a great load for deer and elk.

I would use any one of the "tough" bullets out there (barnes, accubond, scirocco, etc) and I would go with a heavy bullet for that caliber. Like the 120 Grain. As stated above, those Canadian Whitetails are big deer, and you don't want a bullet that will blow up and not penetrate.

My wife has a Remington BDL 25-06 and this year she shot a 180" mule deer at 363 yards with a hand loaded Sierra 117 grn. GameKing and it did the job just fine. If that is what you have and you are ACCURATE with it I'd take it no matter what the outfitter says.

I don't have much experience with the 25's so I don't have any advise based on experience with the caliber. But if I were looking I would go with the heaviest, well made bullet my gun would handle. I like the Barnes X, they hold together and you don't lose enough weight to worry about. I like them but one of my 06's does'nt, so I don't load them anymore. In regard to your guide stating you can use your rifle if you can shoot it straight, whats up with that! It does'nt matter what a persons shooting, if they can't shoot it straight they need to shoot something else that they can handle or stay on the porch!
NORKALNIMROD

I would pick a "medium" bullet; a Nosler Accubond would be perfect.

If you go to "soft" on those big whitetails, like with a 100 gr Ballistic tip, Sierra, Hornaday, you could run into penetration problems.

But even worse, I think is a bullet that is too tough in those light calibers like Trophy Bonded, Barnes X, ect. Sure, they penetrate like hell, but they have rather small frontal areas and don't do alot of damage adjacent to the actual wound channel. With something like a .270, that wouldn't be a problem, but with a .257" bullet, it the small, localized wound channel takes a while to kill large deer and the blood trail is usually weak because tissue will seal over the small exit hole pretty well. How do I know? I've shot a few whitetails with super-tough bullets, the Trophy Bonded in particular. All of the shots were placed perfectly, yet the deer always ran quite a ways, some up to 250 yards on lung shots. Use an Accubond, Interbond, Federal Fusion, Core-Lokt Ultra, Nosler Partition or a heavy "standard" bullet like a 117 gr Sierra, Hornady.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom