What caliber?

HuntinFoo

I am looking at getting a new rifle for small game like coyotes, bobcats etc... I want a caliber that will shoot out to 300 or 400 yards, and do the job, but I dont want to blow big holes in them. If I want to sale the furs, or have the hides tanned. What would you recommend?

out to 400 yards needs a .243 winchester. out to 300 yards would be a .222 remington or .223. The exit hole can be controlled by the type of bullet you buy.

22-250......wonderful little round,...popeyoung was right on about the bullet.

If you don't want to blow them to kingdom-come, go with the .204 ruger. Laser flat & ZERO recoil- you literally watch the impact in the scope.

i forgot, and yes, 22-250= great caliper. If You want to know alot about calibers. Buy a hardback reloading manual and read about the origin and ballistics of each. Great read>

I'd have to agree with the 22-250. Thats what I use and have been very happy with the results

I would pick .223 Rem. Similar to the .22-250, but cheaper to shoot. I've killed a few coyotes with mine, as well as countless whistle pigs and raggits. It is dead on at 300 yards, just a couple inches drop at 400. It's my favorite gun in my arsenal.

Nocked N Loaded

The 223 shines out to 300 yards, beyond that the 22-250 is hard to beat

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have a 22-250 and shoot 50 gr hornady V-Max bullets. Small entry hole and the bullet stays inside the ribcage from rapid expansion. Shot 2 bobcats and I dont know how many coyotes with them and never had an exit hole and all went right down. Anywhere from 50 yds to 500.

I wont be changing anything anytime soon.

The .223 is the same price to shoot as the 22-250 too, the 22-250 flat outperforms the .223 IMO.

Us old school guys still like the 220 Swift.

You need to shoot full metal jacket bullets in any of them if you want to save the hides.

Another vote for the 22-250. If your reloading the damn things the bullet costs the same. It just takes a few more grains of powder to fling it out there with the 22-250. But with that few more grains of power comes more velocity, flatter trajectory and more knock down when it gets there. There isn't a better round for small game than 22-250.

>I have a 22-250 and shoot
>50 gr hornady V-Max bullets.
>Small entry hole and the
>bullet stays inside the ribcage
>from rapid expansion. Shot 2
>bobcats and I dont know
>how many coyotes with them
>and never had an exit
>hole and all went right
>down. Anywhere from 50 yds
>to 500.

Ditto....Same load same results

Well thanks for all the advice, I have a 223 so I think I will try it and see how it goes, if it isnt working I will try a 22-250. I was just expecting to get more people talking about 204 and other smaller calibers.

300 RUM!!!!

I can't believe no one said it yet :D

22-250 all the way Remington 700 vsl.....Reload 40 grain Nosler ballistic tips and zero exit wounds!
4ae877bb2bf4130b.jpg

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4ae877d52cc86f16.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom