What caliber?

TheSwede

Maybe I should post this in the guns forum, but thought I might get better feed back here.

Say I wanted to hunt a porpoise and shoot it from a boat and it was all legal to do so. Which rifle caliber do you think would be best.

I was thinking a flat, fast shooting caliber may work best as they only pop out of the water for a short amount of time. But it would be nice to have so good knockdown power from a larger bullet.

--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 01:58AM (MST)[p]Remington, i believe, has a Special Porpoise Model in stainless steel, SPS, that i hear good things about!! :)

Joey

I agree with never_catch - .50 caliber full auto mounted on the bow of your boat so you could cover both sides of the boat. Sometimes when porpoises attack they can come from all directions and you need to be ready. They are cunning and crafty but the ones you really have to watch out for are the Bottle-nose Dolphins, very dangerous and ruthless.

I have been told that they will actually come from beneath the boat and propel themselves right out of the water and bite the people in their boats. I have not personally seen this behavior but a friend of a friends uncle saw it happen so I know it to be true.

So in addition to the bow mounted .50 caliber I would have a short barreled automatic shotgun with a 10 shot magazine extension so you could get the dolphins that fly by the boat.

It's wing shooting at it's best I am told however you must use either 3" or 3.5" mag with 00 buck shot for ultimate knock down power.

I like the .50 caliber / shotgun combo for the Porpoise & Dolphins but it works equally well on Pirates and with the recent upswing of Pirate activity you should be well prepared because they suddenly appear from nowhere. Be cautious out there...

+1 70_Guy

In addition, i believe you may wish to give serious consideration to Depth Charges as well. Once shot at, crafty porpoises can and will submerge for very long periods of time making it tuff for the sportsman who may be trying to get in some sport in the afternoon, say, a evening hunt after work.

By using depth charges, you could utilize your boats electronics and keep blast away, staying active and on your game until well after losing good shooting light.

Joey

dolphins have soft skulls, just let rans chum a few in close and shot one with 22 magmun. i been doing it that way for many years

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 09:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 09:49?AM (MST)

Good call Sage.. I used depth charges for quite sometime as they really make it possible for everyone aboard to reach their limits for whatever we were fishing for however....

I have all but given up using depth charges due to the ammo shortage we are all experiencing. Every time I go online to order more from Cabelas it's the same message..

"Temporarily out of depth charges, your request has been placed on back order". Same thing for the .50 caliber ammo, never in stock.

Would you happen to know of another source? If this shortage continues I am going to remove the depth charge launchers from my boat, What is a fellow to do?

By the way we did experiment using mackerel and attaching dynamite to them but so far I have not been very successful as they are so unpredictable when you light the fuse and throw them in the water. You just never know which way they are going to swim, I have had them swim away and for no apparent reason swim right back and circle my boat. I have to tell you that really lends to the excitement when you see them swimming around the boat just under the surface and the fuse is getting shorter by the second. I'm thankful I have a large V8 powered boat as it makes it possible to outrun the mackerel that like to return to the boat.

NOTE: I failed to mention one thing concerning attaching dynamite to mackerel,

"NEVER LIGHT MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME"

It's just to difficult to keep track of more than one when they are in the water. It was during the early experiments when we released several at one time from my "old boat" that we discovered that some of the mackerel will in fact return to the boat.

Good to know Lesgo54.. Now is it the dolphins that have the soft skull or is it Ransom?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 09:23?AM (MST)

This is the only way to fly for porpoise - you can never go too big!

9442harpoon_gun.jpg

Think you could mount that on the bow of your boat rans?

You could also go for some humpbacks or right whales too!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Well, for you, there can be no other caliber than the 6.5 Swede.

However, I feel that you don't have a hair on your a$$ if you don't do the dolphin hunt as DIY, pure spot and stalk, with traditional archery equipment. Anyone can shoot 'em out of a boat with a full auto rifle but a real man would take them on on their turf. And I don't even wanna hear about any guides or finders fees or the like. And be sure to respect the animal when you take the kill sight photos. No sitting on it's back, no muscle milk bottles, wipe up the blood, have a rubber band handy to hold it's mouth shut and stuff that damn tongue back in! And make sure you are wearing your orange speedo so people so don't have to make comments about that. Good luck and bring back a good one. Post pictures whe you can!

Why waste bullets?

Follow them Kona guys around, then when JB pukes over the rail and chums on up, hit it real hard with your standard issue Harp seal bat.

I get sea sick so I just stay on shore with my .338 Lapua and shoot them out to 1200 yards. I take into consideration the wind, the waves, and the tide. I won't shoot at one unless I'm positive I can kill it.

Eel

When I first read the post, I thought it was serious! The dolphin is my daughters favorite animal and I about came unglued on you a$$es!! LOL!!

Steve

>When I first read the post,
>I thought it was serious!
>The dolphin is my daughters
>favorite animal and I about
>came unglued on you a$$es!!
>LOL!!
>
>Steve

Wiz

I was serious...

>When I first read the post,
>I thought it was serious!
>The dolphin is my daughters
>favorite animal and I about
>came unglued on you a$$es!!
>LOL!!
>
>Steve

what a rube....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Steve said, "dolphin is my daughters favorite animal and I about came unglued on you a$$es!! LOL!!"

Wiz, The original poster may well have been serious,i don't know. With that question of his though, i didn't feel that he deserved a serious answer and glad it turned out as it did.

Joey

After thinking about it, I suppose some may hunt for dolphin. I thought of others who can't see how I can shoot deer......is it right to think that in some other culture it may be ok to shoot dolphin. Do I have any right to be pissed about it or would that be completely hypocritical? Anyway, I guess I'm a rube!! Let it be known from this day forward....I will never shoot a dolphin!

By the way, anyone seen the documentary called "The Cove"?

Steve

Once, while ice fishing in Alaska, I observed Sageadvice chumming with a can of peas. When a dolphin came to take a pee, he shot him in the ice-hole--with a 300 ultra mag

WC, enough with the secrets there Bud! Even i hold some of the better stuff back! :)

Chumming with a can of peas??

Joey

I know for a fact they can be dangerous. They are looking to take back what is rightfully theirs, so extreme caution and knockdown power is needed.

simpsons12c.jpg

--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

At least none of the dolphins are getting in trouble for grabbing at tuna! My Steelers may be in some trouble if Big Ben was fishing without a license!

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom