What cartridge?

EVILNR

Very Active Member
My WBY MkV in 7mm just isnt performing to my expectations (at best 2-3" 3-shot groups) so I'm retiring it after 3 yrs of trying to get it right.
I have drawn a Rhodes Canyon Oryx hunt and I am going to buy a new rifle - an old faithful Rem.700.
My ??? is what caliber? It will be used for Oryx and hopefully Barbary sheep in NM, Black Bear in AK next spring, and elk in the future. I have a 25-06 for deer/antelope, and also a .243 and a 30-06 all in Rem.700. sooooooo:
.338-06? ( re-barrel the 30-06)
.300 Win Mag?
.338 RUM?
.300 RUM?
Let's hear it guys.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-10 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]Since you mentioned you have 24, 25/06, and 30-06, I would go up to the .338 Win Mag. It will still give good range but use larger bullets for larger critters. You will be covered for anything on this continent.

If you have not been bitten by the long range bug, the 338/06 is an outstanding cartridge as is the 35 Whelen. They will kill deer, oryx, etc as dead as any RUM will.

I have been contemplating a 338 RUM myself for the past 5 years. While it looks great on paper, it does have a lot of recoil. The feed for that thing is up there also.

I thought that all Weatherby rifles were supposed to come from the factory firing tighter groups than that. Did it come with the target from the factory? Sorry but I haven't kept up with rifles for quite some time. I mostly stick to archery gear, but I remember something that Weatherby sent a target that was shot by that rifle at the factory.
WVBOWAK

Yes, the MKV is a 7-WBY. I had traded several handguns to my step-father for it. I bet he hadn't shot a box of shells through it when I got it. It was the lazermark with that fancy stock. I have since added a B&C stock. Have probably tried a dozen different factory and handloads through it all with mostly the same results. As the barrel heats up the shots "walk upwards"-vertical stringing. From a cold barrel it's pretty much dead on but goes to crap after that. I did get a 2" group last weekend from a warm barrel using E-Tips and H1000. BUT a totally different point of impact after the barrel cooled off.
That was the BEST group. And these are just 3-shot groups. Most of them were around 4-inches. I've free floated the barrel, tried pressure points on the end of the stock, different powders, bullets, primers, etc..... I'm just tired of messing with it. It's really frustrating. My straight out of the box Remingtons put this thing to shame!!!!!

I'm really leaning towards a new Rem.700 in a .338 flavor of some sorts. Something that will really "spank" an Oryx way out there if I have to. And yes, I am concerned about the recoil of the .338RUM. I had a Ruger M77 once in 300Win and it would slap the snot out of 'ya.

thanks for the comments guys!!!!

Don't feel like the lone ranger with your Weatherby, it's not that uncommon to find a bad one.

My 2 bits is get a 300 win mag since you hand load you can get great results with it at a recoil lever you can live with. I much prefer the 300 win mag over the 338 win mag, flatter shooting and more than enough energy just study the ballistics table using handload velocity from both. stay away from the 338 RUM uless you have a brake on it or love getting beat on, been there done that.

Sounds like you have a problem with the stock..Test to tee if it is floated?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

i'll say the same thing i always say. If your looking for more punch with out all the shoulder abuse that comes with it..get a 300 wsm. light weight, light recoil, and 180 gr bullets traveling 3000 fps. Your back will thank you after hicking around on a high country elk hunt with it.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

LAST EDITED ON May-01-10 AT 12:19PM (MST)[p]

Where are you at and what do you want for the MK5? do you still have the original stock?

Interested in Trades?

send it to weatherby and have them put a 340 barrel on it......since you have all the small calibers covered.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have thought about re-barreling and even in the .340, but this gun has put a bad taste in my mouth for anything
WBY.

To some of the other responses - This gun was acquired on sort of a gentlemans trade, agreeing not to get rid of either the handguns i traded or the WBY, just to keep them in the family.
So, I'm kind stuck with it, hence the re-barrel idea.

The .300 Win is near the top of the list with the .338RUM,
I'm just concerned about the recoil I keep hearing about.
Plus I'm just not sure i NEED that kind of power. BUT I sure
would not be undergunned for ANYTHING with the .338RUM.
If I didnt already have a 30-06 I would go with the .300 Win.
A .338 just seems like the next logical step up. And oh yeah, I just remembered I have a 1903-A3 springfield barreled action of Rem. mnf also in 30-06. So I'm covered on that caliber.
But yes, I do believe a 300 winny would cover everything in NA.
And I am a fan of classic calibers. Which brings up the good ole .338 win mag kind sitting in between the 300 and .338RUM.
sooooooo heck if I know. More contemplation, ..........

LAST EDITED ON May-01-10 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]Not that it means crap but did you see the article in the last Fair Chase magazine? the 300 win mag accounts for 18% of the B&C trophies in the book. more than any other cartridge, the 270 was second at 12%.

All it really tells you is it's a great round that is still very popular today because it just works.

if you are a "classic" fan, rebarrel it to 300 H&H...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

375 H&H is pretty classical too :) and aint gonna kick you any harder than a 338 ultra.

If you didnt like the 300 win's recoil...dont even consider a 338 Ultra, unless you are willing to brake it.Even then for comparison, it is gonna belt you harder than the 7mm wby you've been shooting, I say this cuz I have them both.

Yeah, I still remember the kick of that 300Winny in that all weather ruger 77. But that was close to 20 years ago, when I was a mere pup. I think I've hardened a bit since then. I consider the 7WBY's recoil rather mild today even with max loads pushing 175 grainers. But I also realize the 338RUM is a totally different animal!!!
The .300 Winny would probably be a better all around gun, at least for what I'll be hunting in my lifetime. No Cape Buffalo, or Brown Bear, I'm blessed but cant afford that stuff. Plus I can get it in one to match my 25-06 Rem.700 SPS stainless.
With those two guns I've got my bases covered. And, Maybe in the future I'll get my '03 springfield done up in a 35 Whelen.
We'll see what happens.
Oh, by the way somebody asked where I'm at. I live in the now tropical hades of central florida, just east of Tampa. You guys out west dont know how good you have it. I get on a commercial airliner just to go target practice. I go back home to the country in Alabama where I can shoot 3-400 yards. Going hunting is the same deal, take annual leave and get on a plane to AL, NM, TX, AK.......No after work or weekend hunts here. If I go - Its a trip!!!!
MM helps maintain the sanity!!!!
Thanks guys.

Those boat paddle Rugers were kickers. Get what you want, recoil can be dealt with.

I happen to have a great shooting 35 Whelen in a model 700...I might consider a trade for a non-shooting MK5 :)

Yep, it was one of those boat paddle jobs.
I hated that thing, it was like getting whacked
with a baseball bat everytime I pulled the trigger.
As far as a trade goes, like I said it was a "gentlemans
trade" agreement not to get rid of the guns so if I
get rid of it - it goes back to the owner.
Thanks anyway.
And yes, I do really WANT the 338RUM, I dont think I NEED
it but I would like to own a .338. I guess I could load it
down to 338WinMag velocities if I had to.

All I can tell you is this - I know for a fact that a .30-06 that consistently shoots 2 inch groups with 180 grain bullets will pole ax an Oryx at 200 yards.

Whatever caliber you choose though, you better count on it to put it down with one or two shots, the hide is so thick you it probably won't bleed out and makes it very difficult to track.

If you are looking at the Remington .700 my vote is for the XCR or Sendero in a .338.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Get the RUM. There are numerous ways to deal with recoil at the bench without a brake. Just be prepared BEFORE hand. For the long-range thump you speak of, it'll do it. I've fired all the RUMs except the .375, braked and unbraked. While I guess I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, the recoil is not intolerable when precautions are taken. mtmuley

yep, rabbit I have tried 2 different Leupold scopes, one of which now sits on my tack driving 25-06 (a 4.5-14x50) the other one(2.5-8X36) I actually pulled off and re-mounted just to be sure. I have now pulled it off for the last time.

Roy: The XCRII is actually the Remington I've had my eye on.
Just cant decide which flavor.

I'd go for the .300 win mag.

It's a super long range round, and it's big enough to go after the bears, elk, and anything you listed.

I have owned lots of rounds and after the ultra mags, stw's, and all the other stuff, I"m back to a Rem. .300 win mag. It's just a good choice for a lot of the hunting I do.

DeerBeDead

+ 1 on the 300 Win Mag, you can't go wrong with this caliber and if your not a reloader you will be able to find ammo and have a few good choices.

I did it!!
I ordered my gun last weekend, a Rem.700SPS stainless
in.......................300Win.Mag!!!!!!
Cant wait until it comes in. I've also got some
Talley bases and Q/R rings coming(also stainless).
This gun should be a go anywhere for anything gun.
Should be perfect for my NM Oryx hunt and AK Bear
next spring.

Congrats! I bet it will be a great gun, and you will love it. I was never a magnum guy, till I shot my cousins 300 win. Then I had to have one. It is an EXCELLENT caliber.

let me know how the sps is I just got a 22.250 sps and only have a box through it and not sure if i like the accuracy of it yet...they are nice looking guns though

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

I have the same gun in a 25-06 and this thing is probably a one hole shooter with a real marksman. Sub MOA with me and 110 grain accubonds. I love it. I hope I like the 300 as well.

If it has a 26 inch barrel on it why not shorten it down to 24" and have it recrowned and that may stiffen up that barrel a bit. Wby's that have the longer lighter contour barrels on them can tend to string a bit. Shortening the barrel may actually help tighten those groups up. Somethimes adjusting your powder charge can help too is you reload. Some Wbys love the top of the spectrum and others perform better at a charge that's a couple of grains off max.

As for a new gun its damn hard to beat a .300 winny mag for a good gun with plenty of punch with a good stock that won't belt the hell out of you. Ammo is easy to find, less expensive than the ultras, and will kill every single animal just as dead. In reality unless you're shooting at extended long ranges there's not much need for ultras but they'll do the job if you go in that direction.

Boskee, I need the Ultras. Well, maybe not NEED them, but they sure are a kick in the ass. I've learned a lot by loading and shooting these powder hogs. mtmuley

+1 mtmuley. I have 338 and 300 RUM and love them both. Accurate and with brakes the kick is no problem. I think a muzzleloader with 150 gr. powder kicks harder. It been alot of fun trying different loads and getting alot of shooting practice in the process. Powder and bullets are minor when you consider the cost of most good hunts these days.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-10 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]Hey boys I didn't knock them but for most shooters 200 -400 yard max they're overkill. I said they'd work and they are great cartridges but this guy stated above that he is recoil sensitive and bearing that in mind told him to look at the .300 winny mag. The ultras have their place and work well but unless you need them why go there? Too many guys have guns sitting at home now because they don't like to shoot them because they don't like the recoil etc and many of them recoil far less than the ultras. It's a suggestion guys and one that comes from experience not bias towards any caliber and giving him an honest recomendation. If you think you have to have an ultra to kill something FINE. When the ultra shooters have killed 20-50 million more animals we'll talk, until then it isn't today nor ever has been necessary to get the job done. It's a preference and you're NOT wrong shooting one any more than I am not recommending something else to meet this guys needs based on his criteria. This isn't a we VS they deal here it's a suggestion and MT. Muley you know I've stated that they're good cartridges before so take lets leave it at that because we both know they'e not for everybody.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom