What degree bag to get??

Rob

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-10 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]what temp rating bag would you recommend for Colorado back country hunt in September? Things to consider are I want the lightest, and most compact bag I can get away with, obviously; I don't like to sleep with full gear on, just a base layer, or even shorts; and I'd rather be a tad too warm than a tad too cold.

I use a 20 degree bag by the north face. I wish I had something around 10 degrees or so in september though. In the summer during scouting trips in the high country, 20 degrees is just right for me. I would look at bags made by Marmot or Western Mountaineering, or even Big Agnes. Expect some steep prices, but it would be worth it.

Rob,

A lot depends on your metabolism. I'm a cold sleeper and usually need at least one degree rating lower than I will be sleeping in. For me fall sleeping in the mountains means about a ten degree bag.

I would say minimal would be 15-degree. I have a Marmout Helium and love it. I am a cold sleeper and would say it is very close to rating.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-10 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]I also use the 15 degree marmot helium and have been warm even into the single digits later in the fall. People say Western Mountaineering and Montbell make good bags as well. Get a bage with 800 or higher rated loft rating.

It doesn't hurt to go a bit warmer rating with a down bag as long as it has a full 2 way zip. No real sacrifice weight wise only in the pocketbook.

I'm a warm sleeper; I have the Montbell UL2 stretch bag and love it.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences"
Robert Green Ingersoll

I don't care where I backpack I want a 0deg bag with me. You can always open the zipper!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

>I don't care where I backpack
>I want a 0deg bag
>with me. You can always
>open the zipper!
>

+1

0 degree is what I decided on. Like I said I'd rather be too warm than too cold. Thanks for all your input. I haven't decided which bag yet, but I still have time to shop around.

Just picked up a Western Mountaineering 0' bag. Real nice bag, but pricey. Good foot box room. Baffle design allows you to shift the down from the top of the bag to the bottom for warmer nights or from bottom to top on cooler nights.

I bought a 0 degree REI kilo plus a few years ago. Great bag, kept me warm in some down right cold conditions. If your backpacking and all that, get a zero and you wont regret it.

Plus 1 on the zero degree especially if you are looking for a bag to use for other trips. However, if you are looking to be more specific to this trip, figure out the historical temp ranges for that area at that time of year and pick your bag accordingly. I would error on the conservative side since being too warm is easier to deal with then being too cold.

Next question is, determine if you can keep the bag dry or not and decide on down or a synthetic insulation like Climasheild or Lamilite.

Good luck, let us know what you go with and how it works out for you.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I did look at the avg and historical temps for one certain area, but figured I'd get a take from people with real experiences.

I read the debate you guys had on synthetic vs. down. I'm leaning toward synthetic, but will not pass up a down bag that's in my budget with the right specs.

right now the northface snowshoe. Clmashield fill, 3lbs 10oz, and about $150 online. Still looking around though.

I know this discussion is over, but here's my .02.

I've got several bags, and to me the most versatile would be a 15 or 20 degree bag, especially if it's your only one. In normal fall hunting conditions it is plenty. If it's colder, buy a liner to go in your bag. They make a few different kinds and typically they add 10-20 degrees of warmth. That also means you don't have to pack around the extra weight of a colder bag if you don't need to. The added benefit is that you can take it out and wash it when it gets nasty, and you don't have to worry about washing your bag.

Here's an example.

http://www.rei.com/product/797113

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom