What did it cost you #2?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I'd like this thread to be about those hunts where expensive tags had to be bought, maybe outfitters or Guides used, Airflight, different country, Packers, Lodging, maybe several or all the above.

The kind of hunts we all think about from time to time but somehow most, for one reason or another, don't quite make near as many of as they'd like in their lifetime. I think this thread might be eye opening and another good read if guys will speak up and tell it straight to give us a idea of what we're talking about in the way of Cost.

Could be big Muleys or Elk but also Sheep, griz, Moose, elephant, tiger... like that. Thanks Guys!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

WELL........THIS IS GOING TO HURT !!! IN ABOUT 2003 IN GOT SHEEP FEVER, IT GOT IN MY BLOOD STREAM. SAVED MY NICKLES & DIMES. I HAD A BALL, TAGGED A NICE NON TROPHY RAM (DALL SHEEP), AND TOOK A BOOK BULL CARIBOU.......A BEAUTIFUL TROPHY TO SAY THE LEAST. THE HUNT TOOK PLACE IN 2005 IN THE YUKON....THUS MY NAME ON MM.

BETWEEN TRAVEL COST, GUIDE, TIPS, HOTELS, FOOD & DRINK, TRIP INSURANCE,GEAR, TAXIDERMY, AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE....A-Z. GRAND TOTAL $17,800. I WAS REALLY SICK WITH SHEEP FEVER, TRIED NOT TO CATCH IT AGAIN.

LOOKING BACK.....I WOULD NEVER EVEN CONSIDER SPENDING THAT MUCH ON A HUNT AGAIN.......UNLESS IT WAS TO AFRICA.

IF YOU CONTRACT SHEEP FEVER.....GOD HELP YOU..........YUKONDALL.

I've been on many sheep hunts both in North America and Asia and YOU do the research to figure out what it cost me.

Sorry Joel, I can't go down that road. LOL

Zeke

First off i never try to do the math because i might quite hunting if i think about it to hard. Makes me sick just typing this. lol. I spend about 2k a year in hunting lic and draw applications that i never get back per year chasing points and tags. Arrrr. My schedule this year. I bought a cheap landowner tag in CO for archery deer. 600 for voucher and another 300 for tag and then bought elk tag too for 600. Then paid another 1k for a trespass on a good ranch.Both me and my buddy shot great archery bucks. Super happy with out come. Took kids hunting in home state in CA. Got daughter her first buck. Priceless. In all reality 500 bucks. Then drew a good late season tag in NV. 6 years of points and tag 1500 bucks plus fuel and hotel and food 1200 bucks. Saw tons of bucks but trophy hunted till the bitter end and got nothing. Totally ok with that. Just got back from a guided hunt in Alberta for muleys and whitetail. Hunt 8500 bucks air fare 700 tip 1000. Trophy hunted and with 3 hours left shot a 170s muley and did not kill a whitetail.I saw a couple bigger than what i shot. Guy in camp shot a monster 212 tp so i am defiantly in the right spot just was not my year. Last year i killed a 192 buck on same hunt. I love it up there. Last hunt i have, i have not gone on yet. Drew 2b late archery in NM. I will have about 2000 in that trip when done. I wont get into all the crap i bought to go do all this stuff. So 20k is about what i spent on this year hunts. Plus another 4k in new binos and gear. Holy crap. Im going down to get a bottle of booze to end the pain. Arrrrr. Im gonna take up bird watching or something.

After never drawing a elk tag in CA in my whole life(LONG TIME)and moving out,I spent $800 on a Tule cow hunt on a buddies nearby ranch that gets LO tags. I know,that was half price & 10 yrs ago.

I did spend 3 months hunting & fishing from CA to BC 25 yrs ago. That cost me 1/4 yr and about $40k in work,but it was my 1st vaca in 10 yrs.

Way to much to admit to my accountant and wife. Good news is the boat is still floating. Hunting is my passion so I really don't care. Most my hunts are with my boys so I hope they are enjoying the inheritance

There are no big secrets about hunt costs. Near the top of list for the most expensive North American hunt is a horseback Stone Sheep hunt in BC. Currently that boondoggle will cost an alien NR in the range of 55k+ (US Dollars), once all is said and done. Outfitter fee 28-30k, trophy fee about 15k, travel 3k, travel insurance 1k, sheep license and a couple others thrown in just in case: 1k. And then add in 10% for tips, plus export & shipping fees, misc gear, taxidermy. You're getting set back well north of 55k if you kill a ram. And prices continue to rise faster than inflation. I can't imagine what prices will do if the CAD ever turns around and starts climbing back towards 1:1 again. But there seems to be no end to strong demand for sheep hunts, regardless of the painfully high prices.

I wonder though....in 10-20 years from now, if we'll look back & chuckle at how "cheap" they were back in 2015. Better get your's now, while the gettin' is good...lol.

Sticksender,
To add to your succinct post:
Stone sheep hunt success rates are nothing like they were 25 years ago.
They currently hover in the 60% +/- range so plan on going twice.
Ouch! I can't even do "complex" math with numbers that large!
What is 2 x 55k?
Zeke

Plus, I personally know a guy who has chased Stone sheep 3 times and has yet to fill a tag or finish his "Full Curl" with the four wild sheep of North America!
This isn't as rare as one might think.
Bummer dude!
There are some hidden shenanigans with the kill "quotas" v "actual" hunters afield and most know nothing about it.
Zeke

Utah Mule deer

Yawn.....

Tag: $350,000
Guide including food and drink: $10,000
Posse Finder's fee: $5,000
Road blocker fee: $1000
Scout plane: 10 hrs. at $350/hr.
Phone bill: $300
Airline ticket: :$500
Tips: $2500

Yawn....

Zeke yeah my understanding the outfitters guard their quota status by all means necessary, considering the amount of income at stake.

3+ trips for Stone Sheep is a scary thought isn't it!

going to AK this fall for a moose drop hunt, it will be about $5900 door to door for us. that also includes shipping rack and some meat back with us.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Last year was the first year putting in for New Mexico. I am responsible for putting my 14 year old son in now. 2 deer tag apps, 3 elk apps (I paid for my Dads cuz he's too cheap to front the $$ required in NM). I planned on putting in for an oryx tag as well but my credit card was maxxed from the deer and elk tags. Maybe I'll up my limit for this years draw and finally get to put in for that elusive oryx tag. :)

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Stone's sheep cost me $12,000 back in 1998. Shot a beautiful 38", 10 1/2 year old ram out of a group of 17.....on the first day.

No way would I spend the money it takes to hunt sheep in this day and age!

I also got the sheep fever years ago(mid-70's when I was young and dumb) lead a real frugal life, saved for 5 years killed a stone. Saved another 6 years, killed a Dall.

Then drew a couple sheep tags. After 30 years had a Grand Slam, didn't ever plan on a Slam, but got lucky. My desert is from Nevada, DIY, cost less than $2000. Total cost of Slam was about $20,000.

I still lead a frugal life so most $$ can go towards hunts and fishing trips. Hunted in Mexico, Argentina, 3 countries in 5 trips to Africa. Damn its been a great ride and its not over!!!

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I agree with dwalton!
The "new" pricimg is too rich for my blood (budget).
I went in '03 on a cancellation hunt and stayed for a great moose too. I even stayed and helped out on another guy's Stone sheep hunt and spent only $1500. more than you.

Oh man, it's become a richer man's sport in which I cannot participate at today's prices. Get a great job boys and save your money well or don't bother!

I hunter Dall sheep the first two times for $3300 for BOTH hunts plus travel, tags and expenses. Those were the days! Now it's 15K-20K.
All the other sheep tags were drawn and expenses were minimal....except Wyoming since it was wilderness. That one left a mark on the wallet.
Damn, I'm getting old!
Zeke

This thread has gone well, thanks Guys!

WoW! $55K for a stone sheep hunt,...or more!

I was, still am i guess, a fan of Jim Shocky's TV shows and especially enjoy the shows that showcase his Moose Hunts. I looked up the info on his website once and when it got down to what it costs to hunt Moose at his Camps, Don't remember the exact amount but i dropped the idea about as fast as i would a very hot cast iron frying pan.lol What was it, like $30K or something like that? I think it was more all told!

Not too many years ago, guys were saying that they could go hunt several good animals in Africa for what it cost to go on a regular guided Elk hunt in the States". Is that still hold true?

Bobcat, I just like to talk huntin! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I too am frugal and get by with less truck and less house than lots of guys. Part of that is the woman I married. She's not always been understanding but she's always supportive. My "slam" AKA Full Curl was done about as cheaply as any out there. The "extra" sheep hunts have been a little more financially painful.

Yep Joey, Africa is the best bang for the buck and can be a real treat! I went with my son and 2 oldest daughters (all adults at the time) and it's perfect for that family outing. All of us went cheaper than a sheep hunt!

The only thing I'm more passionate about is family! ....but it's close. Haha
Zeke

Great post Joey. I also spend about 3k a year in applications and licenses that I really can't use for much more than birds. But when I do draw that magical tag, it makes my life frugal for the time it takes to save, but I haven't yet regretted any money spent. How does one put a dollar amount on the time afield, just think of all the things you would have never seen had the opportunity to go do it not presented itself.

I guess it comes down to whatever floats your boat. If I could find a way to hunt antelope somewhere every year, I would do it in a heartbeat. Same with Coue's, so I'm starting out 2016 with just such a hunt because I missed some time afield this fall.

I've given up on paying for sheep, just hope to draw a tag in the lower 48. For 55k, I certainly could go on one HELL of a safari in Africa. You can't beat the overall experience you get down there, not just animals taken, but seen, and the appreciation for what you have at home just puts icing on the cake.

I'd like to hunt caribou in Nunavut. Moose in the Yukon. Ibex in Spain. All are pricey, but with planning and dreaming behind it, I will find myself in those places someday.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-15 AT 05:54PM (MST)[p]Spanish ibex is on my bucket list, and is still within reach of a work-a-day-Joe like myself.

Zeke is correct on the less truck. I drive an 03 Chevy Duramax with 160,000 miles & a 1999 Ford Ranger with 156,000.

Unlike most, I have the two edged blessing of a hunting wife. Great because I often hunt with my best friend. Not so great as my hunts cost double what most would spend. We did a DIY caribou hunt in 2007 to AK that ran us $6,500 a piece, soup to nuts. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything. You can still do that hunt for about the same money.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

I went to British Columbia in 2012 on a moose, mountain goat hunt. had about $12,000 in it. I killed a moose , didn't kill a goat and the goat would have been an extra $4,000 if I had killed one.

Two guys that were there the hunt before me paid $35,000 each for stone sheep hunts and never saw a legal ram.

I go on a guided hunt for something about every year, usually in the $6,000 range or less.

I look at my hunts as an adventure, you will meet people you would have never met, experience different cultures, see animals you would have never seen and see sights from the top of a mountain that you would have never been on if it wasn't on a hunt.

Yukon Dall, be glad you went on that hunt in 2005, it will cost you almost twice that much now.

>Excuse my ignorance I've never been
>on a guided hunt. What
>is a trophy fee?

A trophy fee is an additional charge if you kill an animal on your hunt and some even charge more depending on the size of the animal taken.

I did a drop camp moose hunt in AK for about 10k total in 2012. Using miles for airfare a hotel points for hotels when needed and that also included a shoulder mount and finding a trucking company to haul the whole moose home.

I bought a cheap tahr hunt in New Zealand at the local SCI banquet and added free range stag and also a fallow deer and mounted everything and that one is still hurting a bit, cuz all said and done it was around 20k.

I have an Iowa mz tag after xmas to hopefully add to a taxi bill this year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom