What do y’all think of this bull? Width? Score? Taker?

halfassed

PICT0707.jpeg

PICT0687.jpeg

PICT0684.jpeg

What state? He doesn’t have great palms but three brows on each side is above average. In Utah in nearly every unit, that is a shooter given current quality.

Might not be the same answer in Colorado or Wyoming, or Idaho, but Utah’s moose quality is WAY down in nearly every unit currently.

Tough call on that bull, what state would determine a lot, in Colorado I'd probably hold out, other states he would be a no brainer

I passed some pretty nice Shiras bulls and went home with a smaller bull. It's the only hunt I wish I had a do-over on. That bull doesn't strike me as large at all, but, he'd make P&Y. I passed a legit 50 inch bull and it kills me to this day. Bull is still up there too!

Get with your friend and define what he want's right off. Not sure where that bull is at, but my thoughts are don't give a rip what others think, and kill what you want.

Depends on the state and unit. I’d certainly hope for a better bull than that in the places I apply.

Antler growth is delayed in Northern Utah 2-3 weeks. I have 4 bulls on camera's and have pictures from last year. I don't know which part of Idaho you are at.
That is a good moose for most Idaho units 66-78 IMO.

You can look at Idaho harvest report and see average width per unit with harvest. It is hard to tell how this bull will end up.
I would guess he is 34-36 wide now, and maybe 40-42 inches when done. Not a giant, Nothing like some of Colorado bulls, but for Idaho pretty decent bull.

I personally would pass until I was down to the last day. That said, I am gauging that off the area I apply in Wyoming.

I sense he would be a shooter to most guys unless your buddy wants to hold out for a really big bull. I agree he is above average.

Cool triple brow but he’s not 40 wide. He may make P&Y but scores no where near 150. 140 is minimum B&C for Shiras P&Y is 125. Danny Ocean said it best, get you buddy to define what he’s looking for, no shame in shooting that bull with a bow but if he’s looking for something close to B&C I’d pass.

I agree with DJ1. There is no shame in shooting a bull like that, and I will add, even with a rifle.
There are so few B&C Shiras bulls running around these days, I'd be very careful about holding out for one, unless I knew one existed in the unit.
Those permits are so rare, if it were mine, I'd be dedicating as much time as possible to the hunt and go have a blast.
In my book a hunt's success should never be measured in inches.
Best of luck to your friend and let us know how it turns out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom