what do you think of the pauns?

• Thread starter milklipped_spike
  • Start date
M

milklipped_spike

I have 11 points for deer and was wondering if anyone out there thinks the pauns is worth burning points over. For the rifle hunt. I talk to few guys and they said it sucked. Other guys say its worth it. I talked to ryan hatch at the expo and he was not to thrilled with it. But the reports are coming back saying that there are some toads killed in 2010 on the pauns. What do you guys think?

The management hunt is awesome, but the regular rifle has been awful. I would hunt the archery hunt before the rifle. There are more 3x4's on that units with 30 inch spreads than 4x4's. I would personally not do it on the Paunsaugunt rifle. I don't know how the muzzle loader hunt went this year but at least then you can hunt them on the summer range. Success rates are not reliable. A lot of that are last day jerky bucks. You will see several nice bucks each day on there, but finding a real monster means a full start to finish hunt and about 5 days pre-season scouting to be in the right place. Those deer are migratory so you never know where they will be on opening day. My dad had the management hunt last year and my mom had the rifle the year before and they shot similar 3x4's.

I have to agree with Dillon migratory so scouting doesnt buy a guy alot. There are some toads out there I know of 3 that were whacked last year that went over 200 inches. There are some big ones but I have to say it wont be an easy hunt like it used to be.

Wish I had 11 points I'd burn em on the Pauns in a heartbeat. It would be a tough choice between archery or rifle. Then again Im not really hung up on killing a monster, just like hunting the unit.

I have 14 NR points and may be able to draw rifle, but trying to decide between that and Henries Management.

I LOVE the Pauns'y....And it is a unit with ups and downs.
But the real question is,,,How well do you know it?

ALOT of guys draw this unit and DONT know it....
And if you don't know it,It's can be a frikk'in tough hunt.

I've been lucky and drew it twice, PLUS been there on MANY
hunts guiding and with friends and family.
Bet I've spent over 200 days on the Pauns'y....
I'm still learning stuff down there every time..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I agree with what goofy said. I have also spent a lot of time on the Pauns with friends, family & guiding. A few years ago I drew archery and spent seventeen days down there, never shot an arrow but had the time of my life. The problem I had is I found the big one, and then nothing else would measure up. So don't turn down too many 170-180 unless you are ready to eat tag soup. Talk about ups and downs we have had a lot of them on the Pauns, and I believe a few tears have been shed in that sand. I would love to be down again this year, don't think I have missed a year in over twenty years. I would burn the points in a minute, but that is just me.

Wow-this this is the most info I have seen on the pauns.
Thanks for the posts.

Just a question-if not the Pauns then where else would one put in with 11 points for a chance at a quality buck in Utah-what unit is better? Henrys excluded for obvious reasons.

I also have 11 deer points/resident

Fillmore, Oak Creek.
You wont see as many deer,,,But there are a few REAL good
bucks there..........Oh, a little steeper country too..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

My buddy drew oak creek rifle last year and turned the tag back in-he just was not seeing any worthy bucks on his scouting trips.

Seems the Henrys is the only place for good bucks anymore-wish I would have built Elk points all these years instead of deer.

I guess my best bet is to hold out for paunsy muzzloader. Though I have not seen one post or pictures of one deer from last years muzz hunt. Same holds true for San Juan and oak creek, never see any posts or pictures of good bucks.

Guesss I should just burn my points, give it hell and move on so I can draw a good elk tag some day.

Besides, there is always Colorado,Wyoming and Nevada for deer (have points).

For those of you with experience on the paunsy how willing would you be to share your knowledge? I have experience on the Books for elk and deer, deep creek on elk, wyoming g deer.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom