what gun do you recommend?

GoBigorGohome

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-12 AT 09:03AM (MST)[p]Ill be taking my two boys(9&11 yrs old) to their hunter safety class this coming weekend. I have confident that they will pass the course.
If, they pass ill be putting in for their first big game draw this year. now the hard part, which gun do you recommend for dear and elk? i know there was a big debate on .243 being an elk rifle. My 11 yr old is a big kid and i know i have a .270 ready for him. my 9 yr old is small 4'9'' 65lbs kid. what gun would you recommend for my son for the small frame he has. any suggestions? feel free to give suggestion!

I am a firm believer in lobbing bigger diameter heavier bullets as opposed to punching holes with smaller faster bullets.

Lets face it I doubt you are going to let your youngsters take any really long shots so shooting something like a 30.06 or 7mm08 with a reduced load will still carry enough energy and still have a flat enough trajectory to take an animal at a reasonable distance of say 150 yards

I am also a strong believer in youngsters learning on a platform like a Thompson Center Encore. For one yes it is a single shot but do you think your young hunter is going to have the wherewithall to cycle a bolt for another follow up shot? Also it will teach them to value their one shot. Another good reason is they can swap the centerfire barrel out for a rimfire and get lots of shooting in for an inexpensive way to get used to handling the rifle.

Plus the encore is just a cool rifle to ahve on hand

There are many good choices out there. I would look into the howa 1500 in the youth combo. It comes with 2 stocks so he can switch into a full length stock when he gets older. As far as caliber 7-08 would be my first choice. 270win would be another great choice. As also noted the reduced recoil loads would be great and let him get comfortable with the rifle.

What loads are being offered for 7mm-08? Can you also find the load in any sporting goods store or do I have to reload the rounds.?

Lots of good advice has been offered. 7mm-08 ammo is easy to find, but not as common as .270, .30/06, etc. I have one and don't think the recoil is bad at all. However, I certainly agree with getting a rifle that fits. For someone the size of your youngest that is definitely going to mean a youth model or youth stock of some kind. That will make recoil seem much less.

A couple of other ideas would be to do most of the practice shooting with a .22 rimfire and a .22 centerfire of a similar make as the primary big game rifle. In my opinion, a kid does not need to learn to shoot with a big game rifle. After they learn to shoot, they need to get familiar with the big game rifle. Your boys may already be doing this.

A couple of other things that are important in getting them ready and shooting a bigger rifle, and I really am not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, are controlling noise and the amount of shooting. Folks are way better about hearing protection now than when I started shooting, but never let a new shooter practice without hearing protection, the noise generally hurts more than the recoil. In terms of controlling the amount of shooting, it is better to go to the range and shoot a hundred rounds of .22 rimfire and only 5 or 6 from the big game gun than to go out and let a kid shoot a box of ammo even from a mild-recoiling rifle.

Cool that you are getting your kids into hunting. I've helped with cousins and family friends. My little guys is a few more years away, but I can't wait. I hope he loves it half as much as I do. It will keep him out of trouble.

WITU, Nice post, accuracy practice with the 22, +1

...and a little extra padding right behind the butt plate really helps as well in conjunction with the ear protection.

A youth model 7mm-08 with 120 grain bullets to start would be hard to beat for the youngest hunter to be.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

All excellent advice, especially ear protection and really eye protection too, just in case something happens!

Thanks for all of the replies. I greatly appreciate your help. I might have to look for a youth gun or shorter stock for little son. Both my boys have been shooting. 22s .17 hmr and. 410s. I think the 7mm-08 would be my primary gun for my son. Just need to find him that right length

The 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 7x57 Mauser, 7-08, 308 Win will all work fine when the shooter does their part. Youth guns will be smaller and lighter which means more recoil. IMO, always use enough gun. If the kid is not ready to handle the recoil, they don't get to hunt. Take them out with a 12 ga and use target loads to see how they handle recoil. If their first experience with recoil is their big game gun, flinching can set in very easily.

I think we have all been through this with our kids in this "what caliber" issue when they are young. Thing is when your hunting and not just bench shooting. The person/kids don't even pay attention to the recoil when shooting at game. I suggest picking a rifle caliber that they can use for a long time and will do the job on the type of game you wish to hunt. Not much difference in a .243 or/06 recoil when they are shooting at a mulie running around the mountain :) But with a .30 cal rifle .308 or/06 you have many more options on bullet weight and they will never be under gunned.

))))------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom