What is going on with GMU 53?

Trad Bow 1979

So I don’t have a tag, I’m just curious as to see what some of your observations and opinions are. I typically put GMU 53 1st archery as a 3rd choice on my apps, I haven’t held a tag there in a few years. Last time I hunted it wasn’t great, but pretty good considering it was my 3rd choice. Last time I was there I laid eyes on 4 bulls, almost no cows. I failed to capitalize on an opportunity which is on me. I made the assumption that the cows were probably on the Valle Vidal. I also observed a ton of bear sign and actually saw the biggest cinnamon bear I have ever seen in my life. Over the last few years the harvests have really gone down considerably. I’m seeing single digit harvest numbers now and am wondering if any of you have seen a decline in elk numbers up there or is it just some other circumstances preventing people from harvesting up there. If 53 has gotten this bad I’m considering just puting GMU 9 as a 3rd choice, definitely better drawing odds lol. Thoughts?

So I don’t have a tag, I’m just curious as to see what some of your observations and opinions are. I typically put GMU 53 1st archery as a 3rd choice on my apps, I haven’t held a tag there in a few years. Last time I hunted it wasn’t great, but pretty good considering it was my 3rd choice. Last time I was there I laid eyes on 4 bulls, almost no cows. I failed to capitalize on an opportunity which is on me. I made the assumption that the cows were probably on the Valle Vidal. I also observed a ton of bear sign and actually saw the biggest cinnamon bear I have ever seen in my life. Over the last few years the harvests have really gone down considerably. I’m seeing single digit harvest numbers now and am wondering if any of you have seen a decline in elk numbers up there or is it just some other circumstances preventing people from harvesting up there. If 53 has gotten this bad I’m considering just puting GMU 9 as a 3rd choice, definitely better drawing odds lol. Thoughts?
Just spoke to a guy that flew 53 and 52 this morning and said he only seen elk in 52 and not very many of them at that. I'm sure they are there just way high in both units.

Hell I grew up.in unit 53, took my son on a late cow hunt in Dec last year and could not even find a damn cow . With all the blown down tree North of Taos all the elk have disappeared. I thought I was in Mt Taylor there for a while until finally spotted elk 800 miles away on the very top of Lama ridge where it's impossible to get to. Plus I don't pack out cows or Forkie deer. They can live to see another day. ? ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom