What kind of vacuum packer should I get?

stinky

I'm looking at getting a vaccum packer, for packing my elk, deer and etc. I was looking at them at Walmart. They carry Black & Decker. The bottom of the line is $60, then 80 or 90 and I think they top out at about $125. The start out at about a 8" envelope and then go up to 12 or 14" Now, 90% of everything I wrap will fit in a 8" bag. So, that is plenty big, for me.

Are the bigger machines better quality, or do they have the same pistons and other mechanicals, and just take a bigger bag. So, if the small ones are big enough, is there a reason to get a bigger machine? What should I look for?

Dont get the B&D for $60.00, I did that and took the P.O.S. back no sooner than I had unpacked it and plugged it in. It didnt seem to have good suction or a hot enough heat seal. I got the FoodSaver for about $120.00 (I cant remember the model #, but it was 810 or something like that) and was much happier with its performance. One thing to note is that neither of the machines would provide a vacuum tight seal if the food being sealed was juicy. But in the end with the Food Saver we ended up vacu-packing two elk and a good bit of veggies out of the garden.

Mike
at235.gif

I bought a Vaccufresh, or something like that at the sportsmans show, and it was a big steamin piece of crap! Got a Foodsaver and have had pretty good luck with it . Like DK said, if it is juicy, the seal will eventually leak. I do up a lot of salmon and steelhead which are really hard to get a good seal on. I found that if you drain your meat (not that way! Haahaaa..) and pat it dry, it works out better. With fish, I put them on a cookie sheet and stick em in the freezer until they start to firm up and then vaccum pack em'. It seems to work out better that way.
Eric
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Hey PB:
What kind of "packer" are you really refering to? Draining your meat, patting it dry...........that's more info than we need to know about. I use the foodsaver model also. Tried to marinate some goose breasts for some jerky and the seal wasn't too secure. Take it from Polarbear: you'll want a tight SEAL.

Nope, not anymore. I sent that one back to you and have opted for the new and improved Monica Lewinsky model.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-03 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Thanks Cooter, I got it today! I scanned some of the literature to show what model he should get. It says that it will suck the air out of and pack anything but works especcially well on meat and fudge. Go figure?
Eric

082740.jpg

Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

You two bone-heads have totally hi-jacked this post. Where did your mothers go wrong when raising you?

Mike
at235.gif

I bought my wife one for Christmas. I am not sure which brand it is (not the foodsaver one). Anyways they tell you that if you seal anything that is juicy to put a paper towel or something like that to help soak up the juices. Kind of like when you buy meat at the butcher, they put that little pad under the steaks to soak up the blood.

I vaccum seal all the fish/deer/elk I get, you can't beat it. My tip goes along with Azbowhntr said, anytime I pack fish I take a paper towel and fold it a few times until its only and inch or two wide, lay it down like a strip just below where your going to seal. As the suction brings the juice to the top it absorbs in the paper towel and you get a tight seal every time. Tighter is always better!

LBR

Paper towel should look like this, as wide as the bag and an inch or two "deep"
---------------------
---------------------

coot and polarbear, in the words of buckwheat, you guys are O'tay. that was funny. some folks don't appreciate humor. i was gonna add that some folks like the "Fudge" brand packer, but it's just be redundant.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom