What once was!

CraigS

Below are a few pictures of some family & friends who have taken sheep out Arizona's Region 3. If you put your time & effort into scouting & hunting, you used to have a chance at harvesting 160-170 class ram. It was not uncommon to pass on 160-165 class sheep during the course of a hunt. Now days if you see a 160 class ram, in these areas you better shoot it!!! Not only is size down but numbers are WAY down.

craigsteele121003-1.jpg

1985* Bob Steele with his 13 yr old 163 7/8 Net ram. Saw several nice rams & counted over a 150 sheep in one day of hunting!

craigsteele121003-5.jpg

1986* Louy Lane with his 9 yr old 166 net ram. He shot this ram on the first day it had 10 inches of mass on his last measurement.

craigsteele121003-2.jpg

1992* Me with my 8 1/2 yr old 163 7/8 net ram. Taken on the second to last day & was the largest one out of the unit for the year. In 16 days of hunting we saw over 200 different sheep!

craigsteele121003-4.jpg

1995* Kenny Upton with his 8 1/2 yr old 159 net ram. Kenny past several rams in the mid 160's. He had to make quick decision on this ram & it ended up being the wrong ram.

craigsteele121003-6.jpg

1996* Rita Steele with her 6 1/2 yr old 170 net ram. She passed on several low 160's sheep before she harvested the biggest ram taken out of her unit for the year.

craigsteele121003-3.jpg

2002* James Clemens with his 9 yr old 159 net ram. This was the second biggest we saw & was the second biggest ram taken out of the unit during the year. We saw 114 sheep during his hunt.

This year I have a friend who is hunting in 15 CS, as some of you may already know from my other post "The Truth about Arizona Region 3" & we are still hunting as we speak. We have seen just 45 different sheep in 19 days of scouting & 11 days of hunting. The biggest group of rams, so far has been a band of 5. The biggest one may go 150-151 but is young, at 5 1/2 he is one of the oldest rams we have found. My friend said he would shoot him on the 29th of the month if we can not find a 160 class ram.
Two of the four hunters in the unit have tagged out, they took a 157 & a 137. Neither were older than 5 1/2! Things don't look to brite but we are going to keep searching, what else can we do.

Thanks,
Craig Steele

2003 Region 3 stats as of December 8th.

15D-

1. 155 some change
2. 155 "
3. 155 "
4. 155 "
5. Still hunting.

15 CS

1. 157 5 1/2 yrs
2. 137
3. Still hunting
4. "

15 CN

1. Still hunting
2. "
3. "
4. "
5. "
6. "

15 A

NA

15 BW

1. 138
2. Still hunting

16 A

1. NA

13 A & B

1. Still hunting
2. "
3. "

Thanks for the pictures, most of us will never get a chance to hunt those beauties.

WOW....that is a tremendous line up!! I hope to someday draw a desert sheep tag here in Idaho, and that just fuels the fire even more!

"Good Luck" in C-South,and thanks for the Photos and 03 G&F stats.For sure there is an age void in the "Blacks",but the Lions are doing O.K. ---

Mmmm... even though the sheep in southern Idaho and southern Oregon are referred to by many as "desert sheep" they are actually California bighorns, Ovis canadensis californiana. A true "desert" bighorn is subspecies Ovis canadensis nelsoni (there are other subspecies of deserts too but nelsoni is the most common one in the US). The California bighorn are lumped in with the Rockys (Ovis canadensis canadensis) by organizations such as Boone & Crockett, Grand Slam, etc though they are a distinct subspecies and somewhat different in appearance and habitat. I think they are called deserts locally because the country they live in is more desert than the where the true Rockys live. They are also, however distinctly different from true deserts in both habitat and appearance. Californias are pretty much their own critter. I think they are very coooool.

True desert sheep live in Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Texas and Mexico. Did I miss anyone? Californias are in Oregon, Idaho, California, Washington, Nevada and BC. Did I miss any there? What do they have in North Dakota? They transplanted them from somewhere but not sure where. Nevada actually has viable (and huntable) populations of deserts, Californias and Rockys. Don't think any others have all three. Maybe there are some Californias in Utah now. What did they put out on Antelope Island in Great Salt Lake. Maybe it was Californias. Not sure.

NVBighorns,

That is what I thought. I don't believe there are any nelsons, mexicana's, or peninsulars in Idaho.

JB

I'll try this again since my last post was removed for some reason.

Garth Carter(From Huntin' Fool) had drawn a AZ 41E sheep tag. Does anyone know what his sheep scored if he got one?

That is a great sheep unit but only has 3 tags and somehow a NR got one.

Jason

Antelope Island - yep californians, they may have put them somewhere else in the state as well, seems like they did, but I can't really remember. There is no hunt on them in the state anywhere though, probably never will be if Antelope is the only place they dwell..........

I have it from a good source that it was 179. I heard the shots opening day, but never saw the sheep and the next day their camp was gone.

Bret M.

Thanks Bullwidgeon and Nunya,

So by chance do you know what the hunter got in 31&32 this year?

How does a NR get a tag in 41E when there is only three tags and a NR can't get more then 10% of the tags. Just curious.

Thanks Again
Jason

10% of the total AZ. tags are given to NR's. not 10% of the tags on the unit. If there were 100 total sheep tags in the state 10 tags will go to NR's no matter what unit they applied for. There are units that NR's are not allowed to draw however.
You Az. guys correct me if I am wrong. Later......

The 10% rule only applied to Elk and Carp north of the Grand canyon. It doesn't matter anymore because I think this year it is no longer in effect thanks to the scroungy outfitters from New Mexico. If I had it my way it would be $100,000 for a NR hunting liscense here. I know a ton of residents who have put in for sheep for more than 30 years here and have not drawn.

Bret M.

I have two (2) friends from Ut. both have drawn 41E sheep tags back to back years. Hopefully next year I will get my 41E tag. (fat chance)......

My family and has been applying for 41E tags for alot of years and none of us have ever drew that tag and then to read about all the NR's that draw these tags is unbelievable. If residents ever lose out on getting the majority of the tags in their own state we will never get to hunt and that includes all states and residents.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-04 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]After waiting for thirty years he drew his tag. Well after 19 days of scouting 24/28 days afield my friend took a 150 8-9 yr old ram. This was not the ram that he had Dreamed about for the past thirty years but he gave it his all & at 46 yrs old he did not want to wait another 30.
Sometimes it is not the size of the Trophy but the memories that mean the most. We captured it all on film & it will be on a new hunting video this spring.

Thanks,
Craig Steele

NVBighorn:

To fill in your very complete list, the sheep in North Dakota are California Bighorns (they have a nice program going right now getting additional sheep from Oregon). The sheep in South Dakota are Rocky Mountain Bighorns (the original stock came from Colorado).

The 15 units have produced some very big sheep in the past.Craig I went out Jan 1st and saw the big ram in 15cs with three other rams and three ewes.He has broomed some off his left side still37 and the other is36 should go around168-169 gross.Did you hit sugar loaf behind Grasshopper Jun.When Randy had the tag in there your dad told me about a ram he saw in there with a crippled leg.We found him on the last knob out in the flat.Did most of the hunters in there stay in Portland mine area.Did Kenny get a bull in 16 this year?

Calvin,

Most of the hunters started out by Lost Cabin & Portland mine area but found there to be little sheep in the area just like every place in the unit. We spent several days around Cottonwood, Burro, Kane Mtn., Union Pass & Tyro Mine but found one thing to be consistent very little sheep. We found five rams together around Burro Springs several times, the biggest may have been 150 he was long but very pencil horned.
I am not trying to say there aren't a few out there....DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS RAM THAT YOU HAVE BEEN SEEING EVERYDAY? POST IT IF YOU DO SO WE CAN TAKE A LOOK....
Kenny did not get an elk.

Thanks,
Craig Steele
[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom