What powder Manufactur?

400bull

Very Active Member
I have been reloading for a couple years now and have always used Hodgon powder. Now that I have started to study the reloading manules a little closer I have noticed that Hodgon's powder is not used as much. What Manufactur (IMR, Aliant, Hodgon, ect.....) do you use? Why do you use it.

400bull

PS All of my reloading as been for a 243 and a 270.

I mostly use IMR and Alliant. I use the powder that gives me the best results. Sometimes its not supper fast but I'll take accuracy over speed any day... I had a load worked up for my 243 that would shoot almost the same hole... It was easily 300 fps slower than all other loads for the same bullet weight, but I liked to be able to know what a bullet is going to do when it gets out there 300+yards those gophers are only 2 inches wide... It has been my experience that some poxers regardless of manufacture like certain cases best. I wouldn't worry all that much about brand but worry about accuracy.

Ivan

So far, after nearly 20 years of reloading, I've used IMR, Hodgden & Hercules / Alliant and a handful of others that I probably can't spell. Like Bambistew, I always look for accuracy and try a new pound out every so often. I don't have a preference other than my Pet loads. The majority of my pet loads are either IMR or Hodgden.

Howdy,

I have 8 one pound bottles of different Hodgdon powders and two cans of IMR powder.

I like Hodgdon for two reasons:
1) I need the extreme powders uniformity in temperature changes
2) I refer you to Hodgdon's mission statement.

Coach

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-03 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]Make mine Hodgon...just always has seemed to give me the best accuracy in my loading. I've used IMR to some extent and Accurate XMR powders, along with others...but I think I can always find a Hodgon powder that will fit the bill. This is from loading .220 swift on up to 300 RUM.

Another vote for Hodgon.Because that is what my rifle seems to like. That what's great about reloading as you can play around with different componets until you find your sweet load for different hunting or shooting situations. Also heard now that IMR has been taken over By Hodgon.

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

I am not brand loyal, but performance loyal when it comes to powders; I use 'em all from time to time. My choice of powders is entirely dependent on which load performs best in my rifles with the bullet of choice. For example, in my STW, I prefer IMR 7828 with the 150 Ballistic Tip, but H1000 with the 150 Partition and I have a load with RL22 that shoots almost as well with the Ballistic Tips.

I use Alliant Reloader 22 for my 270 win. To be totally honest with you, I haven't really played around with many other powders for this caliber. I shoot a Winchester Model 70 Westerner 270. I recently had the barrel floated & re-crowned, and its a real shooter!

For my 270, I load 57.5 grains RL22 behind a 130gr. Nosler Partition. Shoots around 3000 fps, and groups < "1 @ 100 yds.

Works fine for me...so I don't experiment much with any other loads, but I may this year for something to do.

Good Luck!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom