what really ticks you OFF hunting .

M

mossback

I know that Quads tick everybody off when hunting.I have a quad and I use it to go to and from my hunting area instead of driving my truck. BUT there is one things that just pisses me off and that when hunters leave ther trash after there hunt. I haven't been on any early hunts so it has to be the hunters before me. WHATS YOURS THIS IS MINE

I have to agree, trash left behind really makes me mad. But, I think that getting 10 inches of snow in 12 hours while trying to turkey hunt is worse. I know from experince, it just happened to us. The gobble gobble that we all love to hear was few and far between for a few days. We made the best of it though.

seeing guys turning there Bucks into swiss cheese!
one shot please! I get pissed when I happen across a hunter who emptys gun....or twice(and still miss vital organs)shot up legs,face,ears,hams,gut spilling out! ____ dam that pisses me off more that a beer can or 18!
rm

>I know that Quads tick everybody
>off when hunting.I have a
>quad and I use it
>to go to and from
>my hunting area instead of
>driving my truck. BUT there
>is one things that just
>pisses me off and that
>when hunters leave ther trash
>after there hunt. I haven't
>been on any early hunts
>so it has to be
>the hunters before me. WHATS
>YOURS THIS IS MINE

I've never had a single problem with a "quad" while out hunting. I've had TONS of elk hunts blown by guys in trucks, chasing elk in alfalfa pastures rounding them up then flock shooting them (serious).

I'd still say however my #1 gripe is people who shoot and wing one and keep hunting... it goes double when they brag about it. I hear about it from all weapon users but most predominantly the Archery crowed. Seems 2/3's of every archer I talk to hit at least one before they finally recovered something to tag.

-Dallanc

Hunters that have know consideration for anyone else. For instance, this past season. My dad, brother, and I were down in a timber patch and hunting a group of elk. My other brother was up on top on an old skid road. There were two guys that came running up the road. My brother stopped them and told them that we were hunting just below in the timber. They didn't care and took off running again down into the timber blowing their bugles. They had heard a bugle from below or something and came running up. But I mean you don't that, when your told someone is making a hunt in a certain spot you don't go crashing in. The right thing to do is to say ok, good luck and go hunt elsewhere. That sort of thing is what really frosts my balls

The complete lack of courtesy and respect shown to fellow hunters. By and large most hunters are genuinely good people. But the few bad apples are the ones that you always hear about and who give all hunters a bad name and add fuel to the ever increasing anti-hunter effort. We as a group need to understand the need to get along, especially in the field. Sometimes that means turning the other cheek even when the bad hunter is wrong. For example one time I was archery deer hunting in the early fall. It was extemely dry and I decided to try and find an out the way water hole to hang a tree stand on. Well as luck would have it I did find one near the end of a rough old loggin road that was difficult to get too. It was very close to the road but under the circumstances I did not think that would be a problem because of how little travel there was at the end of this road. Well I got there before light one morning and about an hour after light a truck came by and turn around at the tank. I was suprised but knew that sooner or later someone would come along. About an hour later the same truck came by and turn around again. This continued every hour until about 11:30 when I had got out of the stand and was getting ready to head back to camp for lunch. As I approached my truck the same truck parked along me and two hunters got out and told me that now that I was leaving they would be hunting that tank the rest of the day!! Well I was not happy about the events or their tatics but rather the get into a major confrontation I walked back to the tank removed my stand and told them that I thought they had a thing or two to learn about hunter ethics but that they could have this tank. I don't think it would have done any good to try to convince them to change there minds as I am sure they knew what they had done that morning was not right. So I left and found another secluded water hole from which I harvested a nice 4 point 3 days later.

Sorry boys, not much ticks me off. I've found in this country the moment you get out of the truck and hit the timber, you'll have the entire place to yourself. Bout the only thing that ticks me off is the fact I can't have the entire 3 month mule deer season off of work. But, then again, there is somekind of season going on somewhere in the province most of the year. I think I'd rather have the whole year off every year. :) :)

I was sitting a water hole with a friend of mine one morning that had a bunch of deer tracks around it. Nothing came in, except about 10 am a guy drives up to the other side of the water, parks his quad under a tree, covers it with a camo netting, then climbs the tree to sit. He knew we were there, he had to pass our truck to get there, and we stood up to let him see us as he approached.

I definitely hate people's lack of respect and courtesy.

Lack of consideration for the animals we hunt as well as other hunters. I really hate to hear 5 or 6 shots all at once because I know their just slinging lead with a hope of hitting something. Two years ago I watched 2 guys jump out of a pickup and empty their guns at a buck who was an almost impossible distance. I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better if we had to show competency in shooting to get a license, some European countries require this. I also tried the public land general tags for elk in Colorado for a while and didn't get far enough from the roads, some people use no sense in respect for others. BCBoy you are truly blessed to live where you do enjoy!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-06 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]Irresponsible shooting.

That would be archery shooting and rifle shooting from the weekend warrior. You know, those moving 453 yard shots with a 30 mph crosswind with a gun they have never practiced with at a herd of antelope, deer or elk. If they miss and miss and miss then the hunting sucked but if they miraculously hit one then they are world class snipers. Nevermind the 4 or 5 other wounded animals from the incident. I've witnessed this too many times.
Not the guy that practices shooting and planning hunting strategies 12 months out of the year. Disrespect for the animals and the outdoors really irritates me. That is very broad but there you go.

>Bout the only thing that
>ticks me off is the
>fact I can't have the
>entire 3 month mule deer
>season off of work. But,
>then again, there is somekind
>of season going on somewhere
>in the province most of
>the year. I think I'd
>rather have the whole year
>off every year. :) :)
>

Dude, you really need to come to Utah. its way easier to get the whole season off here. Its only 9 days!!! 5 in the SE region! Way easier to get that kind of time off, see what I mean???

My luck drawing really pisses me off. Then if I do draw what pisses me off more is I only get five days to hunt. I've learned that helping other people on LE's or CWMU's is the only way I get out.

What really pisses me off, was one time at high hunt, this idiot used his rifle for glassing and had that dam rifle pointing at me for more than once and kept looking to see if we were still there. I gave him the bird and moved on. Just some people have no common sense what so ever.

Clyde

Gonna agree with BC, get 100m from the truck and your all alone here. However, I tend to get pissed by guys who leave the camp site looking like its a garbage dump, but that goes for all the guys in the bush, not just hunters.

BCboy, 365 days a year there is a big game season open here:)

Kirby

When in doubt, floor it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you find a big stick.

It's kinda hard to get too pissed off when you're doing what you love. We all have our stories of stupidity and our pet peeves but as the bumper sticker says,"The worst day huntin is better than the best day at work."

It really gets to me when my hunting partners(my Dad and Uncle) get too drunk to hunt! Due to not seeing any game in the morning they decide to spend lunch playing domino's and drinking beer. They then tease me about hiking 5 miles over mountains and seeing the same thing they saw from camp--nothing!
I got even last year, I got a deer and they got nothing! Still had to split the meat with them! Wouldn't trade them for anything, even when we disagree with the evening hunt plan.
a3dhunter

What really ticks me off is guys who have long seasons and brag about it!:)

Clyde, that really ticks me off too. It happened to me a few years ago and I'm still angry!

Steve

POACHERS !! I've turned in two , hope to get those numbers up in the future .

Hands down it's lazy slob hunters on quads riding off-road because they're too lazy to get in shape and work for their rewards. They are the bottom-feeders of the sport.

I too hate to see litter in the forest, but what REALLY ticks me off is "Ticks and Mosquitoes" !!!

What really gets to me is the guys that party hunt. Guys that hunt more than one season using someone else's tag.

The thing that ticks me off mostly is not being able to hunt. Being stuck in grad school with little time and money makes it hard. That being said - I did get to sneak away once last year to hunt whitetails for a day and then on Spring Break I got to hunt pheasants (See my post "Pheasants for Spring Break" in the Great Outdoors forum here is the link: http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID13/3182.html) however getting to hunt two days a year is harldy enough to keep me going.

The other thing that ticks me off is missing a good shot on a decent buck. That especially sucks when you only have one day to hunt! See this post:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/2297.html

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

1. Quads in closed areas.
2. Quads breaking new trails.
3. Quads in the morning.
4. Quads in the afternoon.
5. Quads at night.
6. People who have more fun riding quads during hunting season than actually hunting.
6. Trucks (repeat 1 through 6).
7. Motorcylces (repeat 1 through 6).
8. Hunters disrespecting the "first in time" rule -- i.e., get out of bed earlier if you want to hunt this spot!

That's enough. I see a pattern developing here.

One more . . .
9. The same non-resident hunters who draw buck tags every year in "my" area, then persist violating 1 - 8 above, when us residents draw much less often.

Now I sense a bad attitude. Time to stop.

"Now I sense a bad attitude.
Time to stop."

More like a moment of clarity.
Great post HEEFMAN.

Pack in with our horses and mules and set up camp the week before season opens only to find another camp set up within 30 yards when we go back in the night before season opens.

When hunters watch us kill elk and then set up camp the next year right in the saddle elk the elk came through.

... is it too late to change my anwser to "people endlessly whining about atvs" ?

-DallanC

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-06 AT 07:37PM (MST)[p]when 1 of your hunters wants to buy a tag after its all said and done you lose friends over it. it is not just another job but something else to get you out in the woods but instead you end up fighting over a stupid tag!!!

peace out russ

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-06 AT 02:09AM (MST)[p]I tried to stay positive in my first post but Safari, you struck a nerve. I'll try to shorten the story. 04 Youth Elk Hunt (Ut) Pack in the night before the season (7 mi.). Tent came off of son's saddle. Hunt the opener (pass on spike). Snow forecast. Ride back out, looking for tent (nothing). Drive to town (140 Mi. round trip) to get new tent & call wife to order a replacement for the quality one I lost so I'd have it when I got home to pack for Id. Storms all night so we hunt by basecamp. Mon. morn. ride back in in the dark. Loading up equipment we packed in on Fri to move in further. Basically 3 days wasted. Guy shows up @ camp and asks me to pack out his sons elk. I explain that we've hunted 1/2 day of the season so far and it's already the third day. I tell him the sad tent story and he tells me he found the tent on the pack trail. Now I have to ride 7 miles to his camp to get the tent anyways so I tell him I'll pack the elk out. Set my son up on a meadow and ride to the bull. It's not 1/4 dressed. I help quarter and load the elk by myself as I think they're scared of horses. Ride 7 miles to their camp, unload THEIR elk, take their stuff out of MY tent, roll up and pack the tent, ride 7 mi. back to my son. When I passed them on the way back up the mountain as they were walking down, I got a weak, "thank you." The guy seemed put out that I was chewing in front of his son.

Safari, I know not everyone in Utah is like that but I still have a bad taste in my mouth and it isn't the chew.

Did hell freeze over? I cant believe I am hearing people from California bitching about people from Utah. Isnt that the pot calling the kettle Black?
1shot1kill

What ticks me off is when people make geographical assumptions regarding a hunter's ability.
In my opinion, the guy that travelled a thousand miles to hunt is generally more astute than the local yocal that bought his tag and a twelver.
What a joke.

Any hunter south of Wa. is a "horizontal hunter". Just kidding you HH, I agree that's irritating. I have to go back to the quad thing. There is just nothing that pisses me off worse than hiking my shorts off, just to see some jackass parked atop a hike-in mountain. Though generators are a close second. There's little more irritating than sitting in a "wilderness" campsite, listening to some guys generator blazing away for ten hours straight (not exaggerating). That's a true wilderness experience. Last time, it was some hunters wife curling her hair and watching TV in the camper all day -no BS.

Cotton topper. My uncle told her not to bother with the iron, said it won't help, honest to god. He also asked her husband what it was like to be "married to Hitler" -she was constantly yelling at the poor guy. Hardest I've laughed in a long time...

I belonged to a "hunting club" back in the late 80's. Some of the best blacktail hunting to be had anywhere. We were required to camp next to the main cabin. Every night they ran that dang generator until at least midnight. And then again first thing in the morning. I hated it with a passion. Even though I took at least one 4x4 each year I belonged, I finally gave it up. Just not my style. (the generator was not the only reason, but one of them)

Steve

When the three Hooter's Girls rode their damn atv's into our camp and expected us to feed them and fill up their scooters. Couldn't scrub that perfume off for three days and it really ruined my elk hunt.

I have one other I have to list. While hunting a hike in area several years ago, my cousin and I thought we were the only ones in this big basin. About a couple hours after we split up and went up two parallel side ridges over looking the basin, I decide to check out the other side of the ridge I'm on. 15 minutes after I walk over the other side I hear shooting over on the side my cousin is on, so I hike around the ridge and he's waving to me from the up slope to come help with the drag. I hike the steep 1/3 of a mile up there and it's some numbnut who flagged me down thinking I was his hunting partner, shot the deer right out from under my cousin -hiked right up in between us. I just said nice buck, thanks for the exercise and left....

Working your guts out finding a huge buck on public land. Using traditional methods like tracking and glassing. Keeping track of it for a month before the season opens. Then a week before the opener some idiot with a chute plane flys over and starts chasing the deer. Then a few days before the hunt opens for the average guy some high dollar guy flys in and blows it over. That can really tick a guy off!!!

Quad?s just seeing pictures in the shed hunting section with quads loaded up with antlers. You know they destroyed the terrain getting to them. Hunting in an all archery and wilderness area and seeing quad's and rifle hunters.
Did I forget to say Quads!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-06 AT 07:28PM (MST) by alwayzbhuntin (moderator)[p]PEOPLE WHO DRAWED A LE PERMIT BUT WAS STILL ON THEIR HONEYMOON SO THEY STAYED IN THE CAMPER ALL SEASON WITH THE RED-HEAD!!!

HELL,SOMEBODY WOULD OF PUT THE PERMIT TO GOOD USE!!!

HOW DAMN MANY QUADS DO YOU HUNT WITH???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING "LOWLIFES" GETTING PI$$ED BECAUSE THEY BROKE THE LAW & THOUGHT IT WAS O.K. TO RIDE THEIR WORTHLESS ATV'S INTO A CLOSED AREA,GOT A TUNE-UP & NOW ARE MAD AT ME FOR BREAKING THE LAW,THATS WHAT TICKS ME OFF!!!

(Moderator Edited for content)

(Moderator Edited for content)
LOL! Bobcat.....THAT'S GREAT!

The only eelgrass wondering how much more bobcatbess can take?

30inchbucks,

I assume that you went through this experience? Do you care to share which high-dollar buck from the last couple of years you had been watching...i am very interested in these type of stories. Was it the Henries velvet non-typical buck from a couple years back? Please share some of the details if you would...you can PM if you want.

Also, DallanC I promise that if you have never had a hunt ruined by hunters on ATV's you must not be paying attention or you are a very, very, very, very lucky individual to have not had the experience. One thing to consider is the many thousands of square miles of formerly great deer hunting areas that have been effectively reduced to yearling buck slaughters because of all of the thousands of miles of new ATV roads created in the last 15 years. So even if you have never had a guy on a wheeler drive past you in a "No Motor Vehicles" area (and again you are a very lucky hunter to have not had that wonderful experience), i believe you have indeed had a hunt ruined because of the explosion of motorized vehicle access along with the directly correlated decline in mature buck numbers that the Western public lands have seen over the last two decades. I believe nearly early hunter that hunts general season units has had hunts "ruined" because of this phenomenon...i know i have.

I am thoroughly confused as to how a person does not see the negatives from increased motor vehicles access...and fights for more. The very thing you are looking for by creating a new motor vehicle route is destroyed by the creation of that new route. One road in and one road out...if you want to see more go for a walk.

YES my vote is for ATV use and abuse!

Keep Scouting (just not from planes),

-RPinenut

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-06 AT 08:37PM (MST) by alwayzbhuntin (moderator)[p]Redheads? riding their quads makes me mad and aroused.

(Edited for Content)

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

WHOA!!!

MY POSTS ARE NOW BEING EDITED BY alwaysbhuntin???

I THOUGHT IF MY POST NEEDED EDITED I COULD DO IT???

SINCE WHEN DID WE GET A NEW MODERATOR???

ANOTHER NEW BADGE IN TOWN???

I'M NOT CALLING THE MODS OUT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHEN WE GOT THE NEW "EDITOR"???

pinenut!!!

I MAY BE WRONG BUT I'M THINKING DallanC MUST HUNT ON A WORTHLESS PIECE OF ATV???

EVERY TIME THIS ATV SUBJECT COMES UP HE'S STICKING UP FOR THEM!!!

HE HATES IT WHEN I STATE THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DAMAGE THEY'VE DONE IN THE LAST 20 YEARS!!!

HE DOESN'T LIKE ME MENTIONING THE DREADED TUNE-UP!!!

NO I'M NOT BASHING DallanC!!!

BUT IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE DAMAGE Dallan COME ON DOWN & I'LL SHOW YOU SOME DAMAGE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THE DAMAGE IS OUT OF CONTROL,I HOPE THE PEOPLE OF THIS WORLD WAKE UP SOON!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-06 AT 10:06PM (MST)[p]Not new, been doing it for 2 yrs. now...just quietly,until now.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

NATE!!!

NOT SAYING IT LIKE ITS A BAD THING!!!

NORMALLY I JUST GET A COMPLETE NUKE JOB!!!

I'VE HAD THEM NUKED BEFORE THEY SHOWED UP!!!

MUST BE AN AUTO-NUKE BUTTON SOMEWHERE???

I GET OUT OF HAND WHEN SOMEBODY STARTS STIRRING IT WITH ME!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE O.K. IF WE CALLED YOU THE EDITOR???

idiot guides with their flippin jacked up pretty trucks with their name and crap plasterd all over them looking like a circus out in the mountains. #2 conservation tags, pisses me off to see the same people hunting the pauns every year while i can put in for more than 10 and not hunt it once. go pick your deer off of some guides video and go kill it and call yourself a hunter. just not around me.

Ill try to keep this short...

Hunters that turn their nose up on others that are proud of the "smaller" animal they have harvested. Some of the most magnificent trophys I have seen harvested by others are 20" two year old bucks. Some of the most meaningless are the 195" bucks that when taped, get a .... Thats too bad, I thought it would gross 200. That makes me sick, dont pull the damn trigger if you arent sure its the animal you respectfully want to harvest. Everyone has a different goal. Just because I am waiting for a certain sized animal dosent mean another should wait for the same size.. Although I score my animals and others (if asked) it is only for a point of reference and out of curiosity. Although I am not aginst folks entering bones, I dont do so myself. It dosent matter what somone else thinks of my forkhorn or anything bigger I may have harvested. Be proud and respectfull of what you harvest, and respectfull of other sportsmans bag. Dont complain about what you killed. YOU PULLED THE TRIGGER, OR LAUNCHED THE ARROW!!! And DO NOT ever smirk behind somones back about the size of the animal they consider "a trophy"

Oh, and that single white slimey, blob in my can of pork and beans, That pisses me off too!

Thats all I have to say (for now)

life IS good

I don't get really carried away with the nuke button, I only nuke on the elk forum. No sweat Bess, if you are passionate about something like most are, then it is real easy to get wound up. We all do it. I guess a partial edit is better than a complete nuke isn't it??? The Editor...hmmmmmmm....I never really had a nickname before, and editor wasn't what I was hoping for in this lifetime, but I guess it is okay if that is what you want to use. :)

Wheeewwww.... where to begine....
Someone who takes a long shot, then is too freak'n lazey to look fer blood.
Someone who assumes they missed 'an doesn't check fer blood.
Archery hunters that only tag one outta 5 that they stick...
Poachers...
Private land blocking public land.
People who post public land.
People that come crashing up to you 'an ask "seen any???"
Party hunting.
Party hunting.
Party hunting.
People that turn away Hooter's girls...
Any vee-hickle off of the trail.
Candy wrappers 'an empty soda can on the 10K peak I jus' scaled.
No deer/elk/bear/bare/wolf/potgut/hooter girl on said peak.
Beeing looked at through dickhead's scope on his rifle.
Shots buzzing through the trees above yer head.
Party hunting.

I gotta stop now... put myself in my happy place fer a bit.

Oh... 'an the most hated thing!!

Freinds who draw killer Elk tags in places like piute springs 'an sand point when all I can draw is flies!!

GGggrrrrrrrrrrrr......

>I am thoroughly confused as to
>how a person does not
>see the negatives from increased
>motor vehicles access...and fights for
>more. The very thing
>you are looking for by
>creating a new motor vehicle
>route is destroyed by the
>creation of that new route.
> One road in and
>one road out...if you want
>to see more go for
>a walk.
>
>-RPinenut

Whoah hold on there, do not go putting words in my mouth by "replying" to things I never said.

I in no-way-shape-or-form condone, nor have advocated for illegal ATV use. Educate yourself please by doing some searches here on my past ATV comments. I've always said ATVS in wilderness areas should be IMMEDIATELY FORFIT, the owner should get a find *AND* have to pay for the ATV being Airlifted out. Heck, just like "wreckers" on contract to tow cars parked where they shouldnt be, helicopters could be contracted to find and remove atvs and be re-embursed for their time / fuel to remove said ATVS (which when turned over to the Forest Service, contain all registration info from the VIN). It would not take very many stories of people loosing a $10k atv and paying a $10k recovery fee before abusers get the idea abuse wont be tolerated anymore.

Now I dare you to find *ANY* post on *ANY* website anywhere where I had said anything contrary to that above statement. When you cannot, I expect to see an apology otherwise you are a bald face liar.

>Also, DallanC I promise that if
>you have never had a
>hunt ruined by hunters on
>ATV's you must not be
>paying attention or you are
>a very, very, very, very
>lucky individual to have not
>had the experience.

No, I cant really think of a time when I've had a hunt blown by an ATV. TRUCKS yes (as stated in my original post above about people chasing the elk in alfalfa fields shooting out of the back, happens almost every year)... ATVs no. Most of the hunting I do is on private (but not closed) ground, or ground so steep you cant really get ATVs into.

Now onto Bessy's incoherant babble:

>I MAY BE WRONG BUT I'M
>THINKING DallanC MUST HUNT ON
>A WORTHLESS PIECE OF ATV???

I use a ATV, I also use my new truck, sometimes a motorcycle to access trails closed to ATVs and I've *gasp* even hunted from horses when needbe. I do hike up from trailheads to my favorite areas when hunting though.

>EVERY TIME THIS ATV SUBJECT COMES
>UP HE'S STICKING UP FOR
>THEM!!!

Show me *ONE* single instance of that then please. I've never stuck up for ATV abuse.

>HE HATES IT WHEN I STATE
>THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DAMAGE
>THEY'VE DONE IN THE LAST
>20 YEARS!!!

No, it makes me sad we have such a problem that its tearing the hunting community apart. I wish people would stick to legal trails and we could move on to discussing other important issues.

>HE DOESN'T LIKE ME MENTIONING THE
>DREADED TUNE-UP!!!

True. I hate to hear people bragging about and advocating FELONY mischief. I dont draw distinctions between felony's as you do. Felony poachering vs felony mischief due to vandalism, is the same to me.

>NO I'M NOT BASHING DallanC!!!

Uh huh... then the purpose of your reply was what again?

>BUT IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE
>DAMAGE Dallan COME ON DOWN
>& I'LL SHOW YOU SOME
>DAMAGE!!!

I do not doubt it exists, but I wish such upstanding persons such as yourself would realize not every ATV owner out there is out causing all of this damage everytime they go out. Just like gun owners, a great many DO follow rules and laws but its the few who ignore the restrictions that makes everyone else look bad.

Got it yet?

-DallanC

Great response DallanC!!

As for me.....

-People looking at me through their rifle scope
-People who hit an animal and try to track it for 10 minutes, and then give up and go back to hunting
-People who can't read the "NO TRESPASSING" signs on private property....Dang Kalifornians!! :)

I'm sure there are plenty of other things...

TUFF

I too hate it when people take a shot at an animal and then assume that they missed because they don't want to go check for blood.

When I moved into my present neighborhood 2 years ago I immediately hit it off with a middle aged guy across the street. He has a garage full of decent whitetail and mulies that he had killed over the years and seemed to talk like he had all the respect in the world for the animals he hunted.

Along comes hunting season and he invited me to hunt with him on a ranch that he happened to have permission to hunt. All was great at first, there were deer everywhere. Then I realized that this guy was only interested in road hunting. That's no problem, I just had him drop me off at one place and pick me up in another, I would usually hunt down a drainage and he would pick me up at the bottom. He was successful at never getting out of the truck and I still had a pretty good time. Well, the first day we didn't find any bucks that we wanted to hang our tags on so we came back the next day to do it all over again. By this time I was getting a little suspicious of someone who claims to be a great hunter but never gets out of his truck. I still did my thing and it was kind of nice getting picked up and toted to a new spot to do some hiking.

About midway through the second day he is driving me up a drainage in order to drop me off and he spots a small herd of deer with a shooter buck in it. He pulls his truck up just right and after taking a reading on his rangefinder decides to take a 327 yard shot at the buck which is across a deep ravine on the opposite slope. After taking a rest on his driver's door mirror, he pops off a round. Then he says "Well he just bounded over the hill, must have missed him." I was looking at the wrong deer at the shot and had no idea what happened to the the deer he was shooting at.

So he starts up the truck and starts to drive up the road further. I asked him how he could be so sure that he missed, and why aren't you going to hike over there and take a look around. Nope, he's fine he said, He didn't hit it and furthermore he really didn't think that he could hike down the steep ravine and back up the other side. He started whining about being too old (barely in his 50's) and such and was going to just leave. I told him to stop because if he wasn't going to go look then I would do it. So I hiked over there and sure enough found a blood trail right where the buck bounded over the hill unhurt according to him. A short track later and there was his 4 point mulie as dead as dead can be, shot right through the lungs. I gutted it and drug it back through the ravine to the truck for him. He was appreciative and all but I still couldn't get over the fact that he was just gonna drive off and not give it a second thought. I confronted him about it, but not wanting to have a long walk home I didn't press the issue as much as I would have liked to. He seemed to be oblivious to the fact that he looked like a slob and was just real proud of the buck he shot. I probably should have contacted the landowner and let him know what kind of guy he was letting hunt his land, but I didn't. Last I heard the ranch was sold and my neighbor can't hunt there anymore anyways.

Since then he (yes I'm leaving his name out on purpose) has asked me to go hunting a few times, but I always make an excuse not to go. I really should have known after the first day with him that he was not the type of guy that I wanted to hunt with, and in the future I think I will be a little more selective with regard to choosing a hunting partner.

SOME OF YOU GUYS SEEM TO GET VERY PISSED OFF WHEN YOU DWELL ON THE THINGS THAT REALLY PISS YOU OFF. THIS IS FUNNY, KINDA LIKE THE CAT THAT CHASES ITS TAIL. KICK BACK, RELAX, AND HAVE A COOL ONE......THATS WHAT WE DO IN KALI. THERES NOT THAT MUCH WORTH GETTIN PUSHED OUT OF SHAPE OVER. TAKE ER EASY, YD.

YD,

I think a lot of people get miffed when they spend vacation days, umpteen dollars in gas, food, supplies etc. only to have some derelict on a 4 wheeler or some yutz herd shooting animals @ 900 yards, screwing things up. Hunting is very expensive and a lot of people work hard just for the opportunity. A blown opportunity can be costly.

Especially the gas part... It would probably be cheaper to fly now from Seattle to Spokane to hunt and strap the dam deer to the plane, then to drive over anymore...... It's ludicrous.

Alright here we go... When people promote more idiots with shows like best of the west and many MANY other hunting shows where people are shooting animals and since they are such a "Sniper" they only take one shot and then let the animal stand there and suffer, Or better yet take a bad shot and just sit there. You owe it to the animal to put it down ethically. You pulled the trigger put your silly ass little ego away and take a follow up shot. Dont let it just stand there/lay there or wander off suffering, dont go blasting a full magazine on them either, but dont let them suffer because it makes you think your a sniper...One shot one kill BS

And in Colorado the MANY people that buy OTC unit tags and camp on the line and go into the limited unit it took me years to draw. YOU ARE A POACHER AND THEREFORE YOU SUCK, you dont care about the animals or management or the people you are screwing over to be there. Just because you maybe a resident and/or a "hunting veteran" Just because you are an old bastard it doesnt make you more privileged. And dont sit on the line and shoot across it... thats ILLEGAL as well, it doesnt apply to where you shot from, just as you cant shoot across a fence into private if you dont have access. Follow the rules and stay in the unit you drew, or If I find out I will nail you to a wall.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-06 AT 05:34PM (MST)[p] YA, I UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATION. IT JUST SEEMS THAT GUYS DONT HANDLE IT WELL & FRUSTRATION TAKES ITS TOLL. WHEN IT COMES TO HUNTING, THERE IS NO PERFECT HUNT, AND YOU CANT CONTROL THE OTHER GUYS ACTIONS. EXPECT A CLOUD OR TWO AND IT WONT COME AS A SHOCK/ MAKES DEALING W/IT EASIER. YD.

Oh, And not to open a can of worms (but if you'll forgive me I will) Folks that make hunting videos or write articles only about the glorious success they have, never an "unsucessful" hunt, a miss, or a wounded animal. Not to mention any names, oh wait, mabey I will. Chuck Adams for example. I believe he is a great shot and a superb hunter, but I get tired of hearing how super he is, "The Holy Nimrod on a pedestal" He (and others in it for $$$) have alot of chances most of us dont, and unfortunate things happen on their hunts too, you just dont hear about them.
What Im getting at is alot of guys I know (especially beginning hunters) dont realize you cant go flinging arrows at 50 and 60 yards, putting down a P&Y animal every time you do!! It makes for dissapointment in the feild and wounded animals. And the "self guided public land" world record crap is just that. CRAP!!! Call me envious, Im sure its true. I would never be able to make a living as a writer or filmaker, no one would want to see all the stuff I endure on my hunts, that dont always end with a P&Y animal.
And Lamas, too, I dont like lamas!

life IS good

When people shoot an animal, take a bunch of pics, sit around and BS for 30 minutes, go drink a rack of cheap beer, then "get around" to field dressing it and taking care of the meat. Then they leave it in the bed of truck, skin on, for two days. Maybe they hang it in a tree, maybe not. They take take it to the processor, skin still on. Then 8 months later they throw out the meat because it taste like poo and apply for another tag.

These are the same ones that say they like to hunt but they hate the meat. Many claim they donate it to food banks or give it to the zoo, but really they donated it to the land fill.

B_F_E_!!!

YOU CAME OUT OF THE STICKS!!!

HOW THE HELL YOU BEEN???

THE ONLY bobcat!!!

YD,
Very wise words. My hunting time is too important and expensive to waste it worrying or being upset with what others do. I do my best to avoid that. It can't always happen of course.

Steve

Well nothing really ticks me off while hunting. I am out there to have a good time and relax. To get away from all the stuff that ticks me off back in the city.
However; if I had to choose something I guess it would be, that ignorant wretch who is hunting public land and gets pissed off when he sees another hunter hunting the same section he is in. It is PUBLIC land dumb a _ s, you should expect that, and who died and willed all this land to you anyway........ignorant wretch.

"We MUST Hunt"

The funniest post of all time:
The reincarnated Indian whale, Luna, was prop chopped to death by a tug boat. The tug Captain will have to live with that for the rest of his life.
ROFLMMFAO

What I HATE the most is glassing prime country only to see 1, 2, 3, 4............. mini Castles on 35 acres ranchettes, subdivisions, pipe lines, water towers, etc. on country that was once PRIME habitat. Usually wasn't there 5 years ago. No one really knows what the true effects will be for years. Nobody really cares. That really pisses me off.

George, there is a big difference between not expecting other people in the National Forest and not expecting them to follow in your obvious footsteps and shoot within 200 yards of you in plain sight when you were there first. I've had bullets practically part my hair from people who knew exactly where I was and shot at a deer anyway.

That, is an ignorant wretch....

Allright, Kotex really got me going on this one.. What ALSO pisses me off immensely is when another hunter not in your group (yes George, in the GD national frigging forest) follows above you on a ridge, hoping you'll "kick something out" for them to shoot at. I don't have enough adjectives for that one.......

LMAO D' (Kotex....makes me laugh every time) Thats my point. You should expect that kind crap, you're on PUBLIC land, and not everyone has skills like you. It is up to you to watch out for the other guy. And yes that would piss me off too.
Now I could make this just one more point for why the Government should not own land (except for that land that is used in defence of our country) but I wont.

Now I rarely if ever hunt public land and what you have described is just one of the reasons. I like my life. But I did just return from a public land hunt in Canada last week. Of course that is a Scocialist form of government so they basically own everything. But we were extreemly remote and I did not see another soul except my guide for 10 days. That was kinda nice.

"We MUST Hunt"

The funniest post of all time:
The reincarnated Indian whale, Luna, was prop chopped to death by a tug boat. The tug Captain will have to live with that for the rest of his life.
ROFLMMFAO

George, what were you hunting and how did you do?

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

when the REDHEAD is wearing Daisy Dukes and riding the saddle horn,then the grizzley and my camera batteries are dead!
rackmaster

I hear your point and am going to hunt some private grounds in Montana soon myself, but I don't think it's too much to ask for our tax money that people use common sense on public lands. I tend to not get wound up about most stuff -like Steve says I'm out there to have a good time, but when it comes to my personal safety, or just a plain lazy ass trying to reap benefits off of my pushing some deer around, it just plain is going to make my stack blow. If I see other people, I 100% head the other direction, public, private, wherever. I don't want to be in range of their hardware. The private timberlands I hunt are some of the worst. I can say last year that people hunted within 300 yards of us and in plain sight over a half dozen times in one day, it's not like it's a random thing that happens once in a while.
DD

Another thing that pisses me off is when someone goes hunting in Canada, mentions it and doesn't show any pics. Come on SoTX, lets see some pics and hear stories. Please!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-06 AT 05:59PM (MST)[p]When I don't think it through and shoot a elk at the bottom of a deep, dark canyon and the only way out is up, up and up. With each quarter, I ask myself, WHY DID YOU SHOOT THAT STINKING THING,,,,DOWN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder you can't get anyone to hunt with you! I would not hunt with you either, if I had a choice! You foolish man you, glutton for punishment, you @*#&!

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Oh, and that friggin' Brokeball Mountain movie or whatever the heck it is. Im afraid to wear my damn cowboy hat anymore. Damn sissys!

life IS good

TICKS ME OFF IS WHEN YOU GO FOR A DRINK OF POP AND NOT LOOKING THE STRAW NAILS YOU IN THE EYE.3 AND A HALF TRIPS IN THE MEAT WAGON WITH A TOTAL OF 13 STITCHES YOUD THINK LEARN ME???MULEYZ

Don't argue with an idiot...First they drag you down to their level and then they beat the heck out of you with experience...

And popcorn balls, did I mention popcorn balls? What the hell do you do with one? Also when you have only one beer left and the tab breaks off when you try to open it.

life IS good

SLOB HUNTERS!

Slob hunters tick me off more than anything.

People who get a quality permit and use it as an excuse to get outdoors and party and can't seem to find time to hunt unless they have a beer or boombox within reach,while serious deserving hunters sit at home because they did not draw a tag.

People who are to lazy to get off their atv or get out of the truck and then they whine and complain that they are not seeing game?

People who have the whole forest to camp in but they will come and camp fifty yards away from where we are setup and be loud and obnoxious until the wee hours of the night.

People who can't shoot or make an honest effort to hunt and be responsible sportsman.

People who have no respect for the animal, the laws, or the land in which they live in.

People who have no respect for fellow hunters.

Wow! That felt good!

Yellowjackets. I HATE yellowjackets!

448c528463e9dbe1.jpg

STEVE, I DONT SEE A YELLOW JACKET NEST. WHAT I DO SEE (I USED TO TELL MY KIDS) ....IS A HIGH SIERRA PINYATA...GET A BIG STICK....AND GET READY FOR SOME CANDY....I MEAN SOME ACTION. YD.

What really ticks me off is the few people in every part of hunting that don't follow the laws. I'm from New Mexico and every year I see people breaking the law. In the unit that I hunt for muleys, I've seen one warden in the last ten years. No checkpoints, nothing. And its a quality unit! And it doesn't help that you report anything. You just see the same people doing the same thing, day after day, year after year. It just sucks.

I'd like to argue that the hunter waiting for the kick is using good tactics. If your bigfooted arse is making so much noise that you kick something his/her way then maybe they deserve to shoot what you missed out on. Now obviously you would like someone to respect the proximity of other hunters but face it not everyone has that level of respect. In hunting you have to use everything around you, including other hunters.

JG >>-------->

> Allright, Kotex really got me
>going on this one.. What
>ALSO pisses me off immensely
>is when another hunter not
>in your group (yes George,
>in the GD national frigging
>forest) follows above you on
>a ridge, hoping you'll "kick
>something out" for them to
>shoot at. I don't have
>enough adjectives for that one.......
>

AAHHH, COME ON MAN. KEITH IS A HUNTER SURPREME, FAIR CHASE, NO HIGH FENCES, NO EGO, PUBLIC LAND, THAT TYPE OF STUFF...RIGHT!!!! OH WAIT A MINUTE I'M THINKING OF ANOTHER KEITH WARREN.......YEA, THE GUYS A JOKE OF A HUNTER. YD.

Most of the guys I've hunted with are good guys, ethical and dedicated, and I'm lucky to have been on hunts with them in the past. But then there's the other guys, such as;

People who clearly see you stalking a deer, then literally run down the draw and shoot at it.

People who don't bother to sight in their rifles or get reacquainted with their firearm (you know, shoot a box) before the season, and then miss prime opportunities or wound game.

People who, at 8am, run a quad up the draw you hiked into at 0 dark thirty.

People who think it's OK to join you within a rocks throw of the hunting spot you hiked into at 0 dark thirty.

People who drink prior to hunting.

People who don't think the rules apply to them.

People who leave their trash at campsites or in the field.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom