WHAT RELOADING DIES???

hntnnut

I've been reloading for quite some time now (17 yrs) and need to get a new set of reloading dies for my .270 win.. I've always used RCBS dies but am now looking at Redding. The reason I'm looking for a change is I want more control and consistancy in my bullet seating depth. Anyone have any experiance with these dies Good or bad? How do they compare with RCBS? Any other sugestions?

hntnnut

Redding "S" dies are what some top notch competiton shooters use. But, they require bushings and are expensive. If you are looking for extreme, benchrest type accuracy, they are hard to beat.

I think for good hunting ammo I'd go with Forster dies. They make a bench rest seating die that I think is great.

Wilson dies are said to be good too, but I haven't ever use them.

And lastly, the Lee Deluxe die set I bought has impressd me too.
they give you a FL die, neck die, and a pretty good seating die all for a real cheap price.

If I had to choose waht you are after I'd go Forster also. In fact I use Redding FL bushing size dies for almost all my match stuff but have changed over to Forster comp seaters as they are beefier than the Redding seaters.

Anymore now Forster is all I'll buy for my hunting guns. Not saying anything bad about the ton of RCBS dies I have. I do not like the decapping setup on a few Hornady dies I have . I have mixed feelings on Lee. They are cheap and cheaply made. But FWIW they do work and work well enough. I think I've just come to "appreciate" the better made die sets. But that does not mean they'll load better ammo in all cases. Or at least they'll load good enough ammo for most.

Jeff

Thanks a bunch guys I'll give forester a try. Now do You Full lengh resize or just neck resize? I've always full lengh resized, what would the benifits of just neck sizeing be such as longer case life? Thanks for all your help.

hntnnut

I would recommend FL sizing all hunting ammo.
FL sizing makes chambering a round, or maybe a follow up round easier.
Neck sized cartridges tend to chamber a little tighter, due to the fact that the shoulder hasn't been "bumped" back. You need to be able to quickly chamber a round when hunting.
YMMV...

By all means, get a neck die for varmint or BR shooting though.
I love a good neck die.

Another set of dies is Bonanaza Bench Rest Dies. They are very smooth when re-sizing. And I must highly agree with Rangercon that you FL size them for your hunting loads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom