What rifle....and why?

A

a3dhunter

Just curious to hear what you guys think about the most common rifles out there, pros and cons of each?

Throw in your preference for your favorite caliber for big game as well.

Do you like a removable clip or a sling plate?
22", 24", or 26" barrel? Is there a noticeable difference?

Muzzle break or not?

For those who have the experience, share what you know.

I would think that the most common rifle out there, if not a Ruger 10/22 for plinking, in the last 30 years would be a Remington model 700 in .270 Win or 30-06.

Lots of 7mm's out there still but many guys are trading them in for newer models in hotter cartridges.

My fav at present is a newer Model 70 stainless Winchester in .270 WSM. It's a great round, doesn't kick too much, with plenty of flat shooting, hard hitting accuracy out to the distances i practice and feel comfortable shooting.

What the heck is a sling plate? I guess i don't like them :)

24" works for me and cartridges i shoot. I have i custom gun W/25" barrel. No Muzzle breaks, don't need them.

Lots of newer guys to the sport buy guns that have more recoil than they actually can shoot comfortably. Not all mind you, but a lot of guys out there would benefit by shooting more often, with more practice, in a milder cartridge.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-09 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]We all love are rifles but gives us some more info so we can help you .What are you looking for ,big game rifle ,something cheep to shoot or one all around do everything rifle ?
You may just want us to tell you about our favorite rifles and you decide ?
I shot a browning bar 30 06 (semi auto ) most of my young life.( got it when I was 15 ) For the last 20 years or so i have been shooting a 338 browning A bolt with barnes 185 grain hand loads. Love it trust have hunted everything with it.
Last year I ordered my dream gun custom built 300 tejas 6 x 20 scope w/turetts. I have been hitting target out to 930 yards . Notice I said targets not game.I have found it is really hard to judge game at those yardages. I have also found elk at 50 yards are hard to see threw this long range scope.
The gun is good to 1000 yards am I ?
At 700 yards my 165 grain barnes mrx is still traveling at 2518 fps and carring 2324 ft-lb of energy.
It smokes it out there ..... is it neccesary. Proable not ! My 30 06 kills elk fine... but my new 300 its fun to shoot and hunt with and my new favorite !
Muzzle breaks blow your ears out but built right they do make guns easier to shot.

My 3 favorite guns. Had to sell them all in tough times to keep my business going.

1.30-378 Weatherby Accumark- best gun I ever owned. Very flat shooting.

2. 257 weatherby Accumark fast,flat,no recoil

3. 7mm stw Remington Sendero Great long range.

All 3 were super accurate!!

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

the good ol .270 win. You could hand that gun to your 10 year old daughter and she could kill ANY animal on this continent out to 400 yards no problem.

>I would think that the most
>common rifle out there, if
>not a Ruger 10/22 for
>plinking, in the last 30
>years would be a Remington
>model 700 in .270 Win
>or 30-06.

Good Call Joey.. I agree with you that the Remington model 700 in either .270 or 30-06 both are do it all calibers and the model 700 is one heck of a rifle, dependable, and they always seem to shoot well right out of the box.

Jim

I would guess the Rem. 700 is the most common rifle around. My personal favorite is a Winchester model 70 in 270. I like the 22" barrel, and hinged floor plate. Never really cared for a clip, but thats just personal, cause I would loose it. And I dispise muzzle brakes, bout ruptured my ear drum once, shooting a coyote without ear plugs.

Plus 1000 for a Rem Mod 700 in 270 win. If I could only keep one rifle this would be the one.

I like the hinged floor plate better than a clip.

I hate muzzle breaks, sometimes they are necessary but I still hate them!

My personal favorite is a Ruger 25.06, partly because it was one of dads guns. I shoot factory ammo with it 120 grain bullets for deer 100 grain for anything else. It is an easy shooter and I am able to get pretty good accuracy with it. I also like my Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem. mag. no it is not pre 64 but,also a nice shooter. Both with floor plates.

300 remington ultra mag! 87 gr imr 7828ssc pushing a 190 gr berger vld @ 3200fps! CAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A BIG MAN! no muzzle break either you wanna know you just shot it!

I had a muzzle brake and took it off. I forgot to put my ear plugs in when I shoot at and elk and I said I would never do that again. I had a mercury tube installed and loved it. It still kick but not as bad. Just something to think about.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

The gun you can shoot well is the gun to have.

I think 270, 280, or 06 will be best for many of the folks shooting deer size animals. Recoil will be manageable and for 99% of all the shots most folks should take, they will be fine.

Next step for those who put in the time and want to have an extra level of distance (read flatness), is the 300 win. mag, 7mm rem. and the newer short mags (270 wsm and 300 wsm). These cover even more (longer distance) have some extra recoil, but it is still manageable.

Personally, breaks are not needed. Clips are just one more item. Hinged is fine, but most of mine are blind mags.

Sling yes, bipod or sticks are fine. About a 10 power scope covers most situations with variable to turn down while you are walking from glassing area to glassing area.

No need for the big stuff really. That is my opinion.

Most all of the current production rifles are great. Win. Rem. Savage, Weatherby, Ruger these are personal preference. I like stainless. browning and sako always get some fans also.

If you can take 100 or so practice shots pre season in field shooting positions, I think that might matter more than the rifle you pick.

I'd say the most common rifles out there are probably Remingtons or Winchesters chambered in 30-06, .308, or .270. I own several rifls of various makes and calibers but my favorite is my .243 Remington Model 700.
-Raptor

im a +1 on the remington 700's. Seems like you always know what your getting when you pick one up. Favorite caliber with out a doubt is the .308 i use it for everything up to elk. I have plenty of other rifles, but that one always seems to find its way to the range and the field everytime i go out. i will also give the 300 wsm its props. I love the short action lightweight rifles. the 300 wsm has everything its longer heavier 300 caliber brothers have but is easy to carry through the hills and mountains. I would also agree the the .270 is probably the most common rifle out there. Right next to the 30-30 if you involve everywhere east of south dakota.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

The hardest hitting cartridge with the least amount of recoil that will kill anything I want to hunt (i.e. deer,elk,moose,sheep, antelope) I think a 7mm or 300 wm would fit the bill with the 7mm a lighter recoil than the 300. If you don't plan on any long range hunting than the 30 06 and 270 would be a good choice. I think you be hard pressed to find a better more reliable production rifle than the remington model 700.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-09 AT 02:27PM (MST)[p]I have had two different 30.06 rifles handed down through the family, one a jc higgins model 50 bolt action, the other a remington 7400.
I guess I need to clarify, when I said sling plate I meant a hinged floor plate. I have always been partial to a clip instead of a hinged floor plate.
I've taken a few looks at the remington 700 and the winchester model 70, as well as the tikka t3, it appears to me that the model 70 is a smoother operating bolt action.
I have not even come close to deciding caliber, but it will be something besides the 30.06 just to have something different. I've looked at the 300 as well as the 7mm, then there are the variations to take into account as well (saum,wsm,etc)

I like the thought of the 300, but the reality of the situations I will face is that the 7mm or even 270 will do any job I would need it for.

I have also preferred the shorter barrel length, but have never seen the benefit of the 24-26" barrel, does it truly help?
It seems the 22" barrel is easier to handle, doesn't seem to hang up on anything within reach.

I used to hate muzzle breaks as well, until I was turned onto Gentry Custom Guns out of Belgrade MT. They have a break called "Quiet Brake". It is amazing. I had one put on my Sendero in 7MMRUM
and wow what a difference with no noticeable increase in noise. That gun kicks less than my .243 model 700. A buddy put one on his 300 RUM and could not believe the difference. I have shot a few animals without time to put ear plugs in, no big deal, not like other breaks.

http://www.gentrycustom.com/

Dads got a browning 30.60 semi automatic with clip. It has killed many animals but it jams up alot. I used it many years until i broke down and spent a couple grand on a rem. 300 ultra mag. I have killed every year with it. I don't regret that purchase one bit! It is a vary accurate gun at long distances, fluted 26 inch barrel stainless with synthetic stock. (theres a pic of it in the elk hunting forum)

>Dads got a browning 30.60 semi
>automatic with clip. It
>has killed many animals but
>it jams up alot.
>I used it many years
>until i broke down and
>spent a couple grand on
>a rem. 300 ultra mag.
>I have killed every year
>with it. I don't regret
>that purchase one bit!
>It is a vary accurate
>gun at long distances, fluted
>26 inch barrel stainless with
>synthetic stock. (theres a pic
>of it in the elk
>hunting forum)

2G's on a Sendero? Or is that total including scope and all. Any other mods? Just asking since I have a Sendero in 7RUM.

I have a Remington Model 700 BDL 30-06 that I bought back in 1976 when I was 14. Saved money working a paper route, I paid $189 and put a Weaver 1.5-4.5 wide angle scope on it. That scope has now been replaced with a Bushnell Elite 3-9. I love this rifle, it is a tack driver and I have almost unlimited options as far as bullet selection. I can't wait to put it in my sons hands when he is ready to hunt. That will be a special moment.

I also have a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter III in .325 WSM. This is the best fitting rifle I have ever shot. It just comes up to the shoulder and fits. Every deer I have shot with it has either dropped were it was, or fell withing sight. Not as many bullet options in 8mm as there is with the .30 cal., but the ones that are available are all great bullets.

Nails

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom