What sleeping bag to go with Clark Jungle Hammock?

gdog

Going to get a Clark Jungle Hammock and need a new sleeping bag to go with it. I have a few Big Agnes bags, but they need a sleeping pad, which I won't with the hammock.

Packable size is a big deal as this will be for backcountry use. I want to go with down and not sythetic. Probaby around a 10 degree bag. I'm not a tall guy, so don't need a big bag, but do prefer a bag with some shoulder room.

Suggestions what to look at?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-10 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]

If roominess is an issue, (other than Big Agnes) I'd go with either the North Face Mammoth (but it's heavy) as it is really spacious, or the Kifaru Slick bag, which is a bit larger than typical.

If its going to be cool you will need a pad any way keep what you got and go with a pad.

f there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

I won't need a pad during early season and would rather shed the weight of packing one in. Clark came up with a insulation package that you can add to the North American hammock and I need to compare that to the weight of a pad and see how effective it is.

The Western Mountaineering Antelope GWS bag looks pretty nice. I can get good pricing on a North Face bag, so looking at those as well.

I have used a marmot helium 15 degree bag for about the last 5 years. I also have a Clark hammock and froze my butt off on an early season elk hunt around 35 degree's. I was using a therm-a-rest but needed something else. I think the hammock is perfect for solo hunts when the lows are in the high 40's or more. If going solo below this temp, stick to the ground with a lightweight tent or bivy bag (I use an OR bivy). The bivy setup is the fastest but the hammock is much more comfortable.

I think you made a good choice with the Western Mountaineering bag. I would be interested to hear what you think after a couple of outings. Please PM me with your impressions of the combo.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Wade...will do. The bag is really nice and we pick up our Clark NX-150 hammocks tomorrow. The new NX-150 is pretty cool with the little poles giving you a much more roomy feel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom