what the heck happened to southeastern idahl

greysriver

just a few short years ago southeastern idaho was rated in the top 3 (ya thats right the top 3) places to hunt trophy mule deer!!!!! what the hell happened!!! I have hunted southeastern idaho 3 different times and killed a couple solid bucks, but nothing like all the hipe!! what happened and how can we get the caribou national park back on the map for one of the trophy areas of idaho??????

I guess that sums it up? is there any plans to make it a draw unit again? it use to be hard to get a tag let alone an undersubscribed over the counter tag??? Caribou has some of the best gene bucks in the country!! I can only hope that things get better.

Imho I think there are just too many factors stacked up against muleys to ever make the big come back since the 92 winter kill.
Management. predators. encroachment to prime winter range by humans and elk. road kill. over harvest. Buck to doe ratios.
I think you're right tho about the genetics. This place was the glory good ole days back then. Every once in a while an incredible older mature buck will survive the onslaught and be taken or seen on the winter range that shows some of the genetic old days. But you can bet your a$$ there will be a million and one guns pointed at him from august til they shed
And the saddest part is our sons won't ever know the old days of passing on 28 inchers cuz there's lot bigger ones out there
Just my two cents

>Imho I think there are just
>too many factors stacked up
>against muleys to ever make
>the big come back since
>the 92 winter kill.
> Management. predators. encroachment to prime
>winter range by humans and
>elk. road kill.
>over harvest. Buck to doe
>ratios.
>I think you're right tho
>about the genetics.
>This place was the glory
>good ole days back then.
> Every once in
>a while an incredible older
>mature buck will survive the
>onslaught and be taken or
>seen on the winter range
>that shows some of the
>genetic old days. But
>you can bet your a$$
>there will be a million
>and one guns pointed at
>him from august til
>they shed
>And the saddest part is our
>sons won't ever know the
>old days of passing on
>28 inchers cuz there's lot
>bigger ones out there
>Just my two cents

My two cents as well.......

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

And I am the one that is the doom and gloom. Are you changing your opinion? I thought you were the cheer leader what has happened? Ron

Ron I've said many times on this forum that region should be managed differently. Flat out closed for some period of time if it would help. There are other factors beside hunting at play as well but They had bad winters in the 60's and 70's too. It's a shame to think what it once was and what it has become.

That is what I have been saying, but you say I am just doom and gloom. Why the change? I said before if you look at your posts and mine our ideas are not that far apart. Then all of a sudden you point fingers at me and say I am doom and gloom. Where is the cheer leader now? I can't say an area is in trouble but you can?
Ron

Ron your a trip. When it comes to this area, I've never said anything BUT something needs to change. Anyone who knows the history of deer hunting in this state I'm sure would agree.

I've stated one hundred times over that Idaho should be managed on a region by region basis to a more intensive degree than it is currently. Some areas need help (SE Idaho a perfect example). Tag reductions/closures in specific areas should always be an option on the table.

What is not needed is radical, sweeping, state wide changes that the "trophy at any cost" crowd wants.

And yes you are way too negative.......:)

No I am not too negative, I just don't talk about the good places ;-)
Come on cheer leader where is the shis boom ba? I thought you liked their policy's? Wow you are sounding negative,,, like me. :D
Ron

I like the policy that allows me to buy a tag and go hunt. If I'm smart about it and put forth some effort I'll find good hunting in general areas.

I like the policy that allows me to apply for hunts that are on par with any other hunt in any state and I have just as much chance as the next guy to draw.

But yeah, We got some problems here thats for sure. Wish things would change for the better and I make my opinions known whenever I get the chance.
Meanwhile I focus my hunting efforts on areas that give me an opportunity to be successful. You can still find areas like that in Idaho.

"Accentuate the positive, eliminte the negative" as they say....You should consider a policy shift towards that statement. I've got some rose tinted glasses you could borrow if you like......

LOL! Yeah Ron, didn't you hear about all those 200" bucks down in Unit 46! We can extend that season by a month and shut down all hunting in SE Idaho for a few years to even it out...

Maybe we need to fund fish & game in a different way. It will never change as long as tag sells fund them. I've said as long as I've been on here that deer have not recovered on this side of the state since "92",and I'm not talk'in just trophy deer!
Hell I haven't seen alot of winter kill, I see piss poor deer numbers in general on the winter ranges I look at, they can't dieoff if there's none there to die!!! Why do they have unlimited youth either sex tags, why do they have nov 1st to nov 31 either sex tags, why is there late buck hunts in units with piss poor numbers in general, doesn't make much sense to me. I know, I know, I can go to the next F&G meeting and they'll reasure me that all is well .(just like the last time)

You will be told the old line from the F&G web page talking about the herd numbers
"Still, all mule deer population management units are above the 15 bucks per 100 does objective".
We will never get our population numbers or our large breeding bucks back with this line of thinking. We need good numbers of large breeding bucks not just for guys to shoot but they do have a job that the 2 points are not successful at.
Here is the link. The 9th paragraph didn't make sense to me. Ron

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=5821

I think what GSJ is saying is that Idaho needs to implement a limited quota preference point system, but only in the Southeast corner. Of course with no separate Res/NR allocations and equal tag costs across the board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom