What type of broadheads are best....

bigbull1

Very Active Member
About 90% of the time I get the best hunt stuff info on MM. What type of broadheads do you guys reccomend for big game? I have heard positive stuff on Magnus and Muzzy- but 2 blade, 3 blade, etc. Is it true that the more blades, the less true flight? Any help always appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

I like the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades.
They are devastating heads and they really penetrate well.

They also fly really well and you can use the practice blades to set them up as they fly the same as the hunting blades.
I swear by them.

my 2 cents worth

BB1

I like Rocket broadheads 100 grain Steelhead Mech. They are pretty strong. I seen one penetrate 14 inches into a elks skull at 10 Yards and it was usable right away no bent or broken blades. I shot one of these Broadheads through a 1/2 inch piece of plywood also and same story usable right away.
This Broadhead did not need any sight adjustment from fieldtips to Broadhead! They also come with replacement blades and a tool to change them Simple Simple Simple...

Muzzy makes a great broadhead also!

I HAVE BEEN USING GRIM REAPERS FOR 3 YEARS-EXCELLENT BROADHEADS. I DID KILL MY DEER THIS YEAR WITH A GOLD-TIP MECHANICAL. THEY FLEW AS STRAIGHT AS A PRACTICE TIP, AND HELD TOGETHER PERFECTLY.

Which are best? Best for what? For a fixed broadhead you can't go wrong with Muzzy or the new G5 Montec, my favorite. I shot 2 elk with it this year and it worked perfectly. Rocky mountain makes some good heads as well and I have heard good things about their Titanium head or rocket. The snyper is supposed to be an awesome mechanical. There is a guy who calls himself 5 shot who posts on several hunting forums that does extensive testing on all heads. Here's his link.
http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm
Hope that helps.

I'm experimenting with Crimson Talons and they stabilize like advertised, but slow the arrow versus the field points as it takes the 25 yard pin to hit slightly high where the 20 yard pin was for the field point.

I have had good success using NAP Thunderheads for elk and NAP Spitfires for deer. I have been a little apprhensive to use mechanicals on elk, but I think I might give it a try. Any of you have any luck elk hunting with an expandable? Also, I might want to try the G5 Montec. It looks like a pretty sweet head. For any of you that want to create some serious damage with a broadhead, check out RazorRings by Bullet Archery. I'm not convinced they fly that great, but they are pretty wicked.

Wile, you might want to see some results from people tests on the Crimson Talons. Pretty much unusuable once the hit something due to the blades all "caving" in on the ferrule. I'd use them with caution at best.

I love the Rocky Mountain snipers 100 grain mechanical heads for deer sized game. I've shot 2 deer and a javelina and all worked amazingly...The most I had an animals travel is 50 yards. They made devistating holes and all the animals died quickly. For elk sized game (which I have yet to draw a tag for) I will switch to a fixed blade head. I've heard good things about the muzzy's, rocky mtn and thunder heads. I'll test a few when I get a tag. But for deer sized game, I don't think the sniper can be beat as far as accuracy, penetration and for quick kills.

My 2 centabos!

Scott G.

That is a good prudent idea letting the results come in before I take off for an expensive hunt. I do know they do a number on my "Block" target, they are carving chunks out of its center when I shoot them. If they turn out to be a dud like you suggest I'm thinking of trying Snypers mechanicals, they should be tough enough for antelope.

I Have been using NAP Splitfire 3 100gr for 3 years. The last buck I shot went 30 yards and the guy at the check station asked me if I use a shotgun slug. The great thing is that you dont have to tune your arrows. Where the field tip hits is where your blades go.

The best broadhead????? The one that hits where you aim! :) :) (Sorry guys couldn't resist that one)

All major manufacturers make quality heads. It just depends which style you like and what flys good for your particular set up. Have fun and keep em' flying.

BOHNTR )))------------>

I really like the new "Grim Reapers". I shot at and miss a deer back in September and didn't find my arrow for three weeks. The aluminum had already started corrode on the arrow, but the broadhead was just fine. You definately get what you pay for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom