What was the first big game animal you killed?

Good idea!

Pronghorn Doe. Age 13 near Springer,NM Sept 1993 143 yards with grandpa's .243 right behind the foreleg. I was so excited. Remember it forever.

I have a picture but would need to scan it.

Travis

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-15 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]This was my son's first... if you consider turkey "big game". 2005 in NM, and he was 10 years old when he got this jake.

dan%20jrs%20turkey%202_zpsgclbj0rf.jpg

Fork horn mule deer at 6 yards with a 30-30. Straight on chest shot. The buck almost ran me over if I hadn't of shot him.
1977 - age 12 - Lyman county South Dakota.

My sons with their firsts.

328112-02-06_005.jpg

665311-18-07_003_-_copy.jpg

6961img_0278.jpg

Two of the bucks were killed with the same 30-30 I used to kill my first deer. It has since been retired until my sons have kids of their own and then it will be passed down.

I'm late to the game. Cow elk 6 years ago in WY at age 36. Spent the morning trailing some tracks up a small mountain. Came over a small rise and saw a head about 20 yards away and took a lucky shot. What I couldn't see further down the slope, out of my view, was about 40 other elk bedded in a meadow. At the shot they all high-tailed it out of there. With all the commotion I thought I'd missed and was elated to see one animal left on the ground when the others thundered away.

Packing it out:
005_zpsjze1h5ia.jpg
[/URL]

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-15 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]This buck 2 years ago near Socorro. It was much more luck than skill since I'm learning as I go in my mid-30s.

1237ephsbuck.jpg

15-years-old. NM forkie muley. 40 steps (didn't have a rangefinder at that point).:) Instinctive with my Dad's bow. Got me hooked for life.

1993, 12 years old antelope. 350 yards front on with dads 222. He said "put the cross hairs right between his horns and squeeze" lol.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-15 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/4662image.jpg

Killed in 1983 with my older brother Jess. I was 10 years old he was 15. The day I got the muley bug!! I was able to return the favor last year, 31 years later!!! Good times! Both pics are from the Raton area, just on opposite sides of I25.

2971image.jpg

Ca archery deer 1976. I was 17 years old and had no idea what to do. Thankfully a guy hunting in the area came and helped me gut it. I put it on my shoulders and carried it down the mountain (small forky). I was king of camp for that hunt!

>This is my nephew's first animal.
> NM antelope. He
>was 13 at the time.
>
>
>
09-09253.jpg

Hey nmtaxi,

Would your nephews name be Cody?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom