What/when was your first big game animal?

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
Mine was an antelope. I was 11 years old, had just passed hunter education class, so my dad bought my brother and I antelope landowner permits for an area around Clayton. A mere 11 shots later, I had my first animal...
84ant1.jpg

My son's first hunt was for turkey when he was 10. He passed hunter education just a month before punching his first tag on this jake....

danjrsturkey.jpg

A tiny 3x4 muley on a ranch outside of Santa Rosa, NM. Due to growing up overseas, I lived and breathed hunting, but had never actually hunted anything but doves and turkeys (unsuccessfully on the latter). As a young man, newly married, my father-in-law got me re-energized on hunting and took me out on land-owner carcass tags. Missed a nice 4x4 15 minutes into my first morning. Hunted another whole season before dropping my first buck (all alone on top of a mesa)...

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-11 AT 07:49AM (MST)[p]Got my Hunter's Education when I was 9. Didn't get my first deer until I was 16: went to Utah and killed a spike with my first rifle, a .338 Win Mag...shot it in the neck as it was facing me with a 200 grain bullet at 200 yard and damn near decapitated it.

Had to debone it to pack it out across a nasty canyon...in my school backpack!!

My first was a monster frog taken at Wall Lake with my CO2 pellet gun I had just gotten for my 8th birthday. My dad spanked my behind for that, we weren't supposed to be shooting anything alive. My first real big game animal was a little 3 point muley in the Guadalupe mtns, when I turned 13. great memories...

Great stories guys. No pics? Or am I the only one with guts enough to post a picture looking like I had Beiber-fever.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom