What would you do?

NVPete

Very Active Member
Here's an unusual occurance that was related to me by my friendly ol' G.W.: There is now a closed season for antler hunting in Areas in Nevada that have Elk populations until May 1. I think it is unlawful to hunt or possess or pick-up. But a buck slammed into the side of his door, damaging the truck and jarring loose both antlers! After getting knocked down, the deer got up and ran off at full speed (apparently w/o injury). The warden then kicked both antlers off the roadside into the brush. (Is that unethical stashing?) He plans on looking there hoping they will still be there after the season opens.

This is a college level question where all the answers could be correct. They are off the roadway. If they are still around come may 1st, and if the snakes and ticks dont get them, then yeah pick them up.

Sometimes laws are passed that seem stupid. This law in Nevada was intended to cut down on pressure mostly on the elk herds during critical winter months (various elk hunting seasons run from August to mid January). It was getting to the point where there were large winter camps in certain spots on winter range where groups would gather, grid and search. At 10-11 dollars a pound sale value for large antlers, it was becoming more that just a sport or fun activity for some.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom