whats a good sight

cabinfever

Very Active Member
I bought a reflex gamegetter package with the cam & 1/2 from cabelas this year. I love the bow but the sights are junk
(plastic housing with metal pins) I would like to purchase a quality sight. Ya' all have any suggestions. The spott hog sounds like a good sight.I like the idea of the micro adjustments. Anyone had any experience with this sight. Another question is will a stabilizer really help me get better groups.My bow is 39 inches axle to axle. Any suggestions here will help as well.

thanks
cabinfever

I love my SpotHogg!
Eric
hat_3.gif
aktion060.gif

Bird-01.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Except that it cost as much as his bow nearly :)

I have a Cobra Accent micro adjust that is pretty good. I also have a CopperJohn Dead Nuts. It's a good site but the fibers on the pins are relatively fragile.

The new Montana Black Gold site is a really good one IMHO. It will be my next site.

Cheers,
Pete

i use a Spot Hogg Real Deal. best pin sight i have ever used. the thing is incredibly adjustable and bullet proof. yes they do cost a chunk of change but they are worth the money as they will last you for a very very long time. plus they have excellent customer service if anything should happen to go wrong with them.

The Spott-Hogg is a great sight and I love mine but it is a spendy sight. If you dont want to spend as much check the Copper John "dead nuts pro" I think is what it is called. Its around $100 and still has the third axis leveling.

Toxonics and Trophy Ridge. They are a little pricey, but I am going to use my Toxonics into the ground. Bests sights I ahve ever had, love them to death. My dad likes his new Trophy Ridge as well, the no tool adjustments are awasome.
Michael

I'm shooting the Montana Black Golds on my G2 , they are pretty small but are extremely stable , the pins are just right , not too tiny and not so big they cover up your spot at longer distances , the fiberoptics get very brite and I paid $80.00 for them . I have a couple other bows with other sights that have also worked well , but most of the companys are putting out very good sights , the only advice is to buy the most you can afford , wether it be a cheaper $30 sight or $150.00 sight ...NMhuntnutt

I just replaced my cobra for a Trophy ridge. The new model with five pins. I set them today at 20/30/40/50/53yds. respectively. I love this sight and am putting three arrows in a 3inch zone at 50yds. Very consistant and user freindly. Check it out you won't be dissapointed. Also threw on the new whisker bisquett rest, very quiet and stable.
Gens, happy hunting......

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-03 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]All the sights mentioned will fit the bill. I was given a Spott-Hogg to try and it is a nice sight, but honestly, for hunting purposes the others will do just as fine at a quarter of the cost. Just look for one that is easy to adjust with easy access to srews, and has the ability to lock down tight.

Gens,

Nice to see a post from you. Havn't see one in a while. How's the bowhunting been going?

BOHNTR )))-------------->

BOHNTR)))------------> I have been out of it for a while, My buisness has been taking alot of my time. But I am getting back into the groove of things. Shot my bow today for an hour or so and realized how much I miss it. I am alot better shot with my bow than with my rifle. GO-Figure. I drew an AZ, Javelina tag, and have the opportunity to hunt a freinds ranch in 19A. Lots of pigs out their. Am looking forward to the late archery hunt in AZ as well.
How did you do this year any Hogs to speak of?
Gens.....

gens:

Glad to have you back both here and the bowbending world. Sounds like you're going to have a good time chasing those little desert rooters.

I had a decent season so far with a few decent bucks and a turkey. I did have a blast two weekends ago and managed to arrow a few hogs. I posted three of the best ones for you. They sure are fun to bowhunt. Hope you enjoy.

BOHNTR )))------------>

1st one with 2" tusks:

fa83e698.jpg

Bigger Boar with 2" tusks:

fa83e03e.jpg

Biggest boar with 3' chompers:

fa83e695.jpg

Very nice, Seeing those hogs gets me pumped. Looks like California. I am a Calif. native. Never chased any pigs till I moved to AZ.
Take care.
Brian (gens)

I love my extreme sight. It is bright and easy to adjust. I am looking at the Montana golds also, but for now it is extreme.

To answer your other question, stabilizers will greatly increase consistancy and accuracy. I have a PSE Avenger that is ultra quiet and smooth, and have tried shooting with and without (for weight savings), and there is no comparison, not to mention it does help with vibration too.

Spot Hoggs are great sights, but real pricey. I've had excellent luck with Montana Black Gold sights and I like Copper John sights, but the fiber optics are pretty fragile. On a recent hunt in Ohio, I let my bow down one evening (in the dark) and it went through a bunch of briars. When I looked at it the next morning, three of the fibers on my Copper John Dead Nuts Pro were gone! I went to an archery shop to buy another sight (not wanting to spend another $90 on a sight) and the owner recommended a Trophy Ridge Flatliner 5-pin for $49.95. Bottom line: I love it! It's a great sight - even though it has a plastic housing - the entire sight can be adjusted without tools.

Randy- I have a trophy ridge that is on my shelf right now, not that I dont like it but when I bought my new bow it came with an extreme sight. The only thing about the trophy ridge is the wing nuts dont seem to get tight enough. Ive had to take a pair of pliers and tighten them enough to stay put. I do like the vertical pins though. I just saw the new extreme sniper at the bow shop here and they were $104, the cheaper model that I have is around $60 I think.

I had the same problem initially, but when I lubed (with liquid teflon) the threads and the portion of the wing nut head that contacts the brackets, they tightened down nicely. If that fails, mine came with socket head screws to replace the wing head screws; I just don't need them. I'll shoot my Copper John for 3-D next year, but I'm hunting with the Trophy Ridge.

Venado muy grande!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom