What's a harvest festival, and what happened to Halloween?

Pre64

Very Active Member
As a newer parent I've learned that our local school district has decided that Halloween is just too offensive for some of the local families. As a result, Halloween dances have been cancelled in favor of a "harvest festival". No costumes allowed. And this is in Idaho.

Is it me or am I justified in being thoroughly pissed and disgusted? Halloween night is, or was, a part of American culture. This is the epitome of the erosion of our culture for the sake of political correctness. So, my little girl will never get to go to a Halloween dance. Total BS.

>>>>Is it me or am I justified in being thoroughly pissed and disgusted? Halloween night is, or was, a part of American culture. This is the epitome of the erosion of our culture for the sake of political correctness. So, my little girl will never get to go to a Halloween dance. Total BS.

its just sad,,, hang in there school distric administrators come and go,,, hopefully you'll get a change at the top and things will return to normal,,,, dont you just love all the people that "protect" you from all these terrible things like halloween and christmas ,,,,, total BS is right

I understand your unhappiness with the canceling of Halloween so many groups out their complaining about everything. We cancelled it a few years ago as well when a local minister in town complained that it was a pagan festival. He was actually correct in that it is the oldest of all American holidays and was actually started by the Druids. It was a night that they believed evil spirits roamed the earth. Anyhow long story short the minister moved on and Halloween is back and its a fun holiday for kids.

So why do so many have to give up what we want for the few who just want to take it away? It is total BS. Why can't we make a stand and tell the few that it is gonna be Halloween, and it is gonna be Christmas, and not the stupid BS they want it to be. There are many more of us who want to stick to tradition than those who do not. Yet they always seem to win.

I'll bet hardly anyone knows or even cares about the meaning. Heck, it's so commercialized that its just all about candy and costumes anymore, and there's not a kid alive that goes out on Halloween thinking they really are doing anything more than running around in a costume collecting candy. Nothing wrong with that in my view. The commercialization of Christmas is causing it to be abused too.

I really dont understand the issue. Is it the people who believe in the history that are mad? Do they think their holiday is being abused or commercialized or what. I dont understand it.

I have kids too, but i've never heard of such cancellations. . . Who?s pushing this issue and for what purpose?

First of all, I have no problem with anyone else's culture; Live and Let Live. I highly respect the ideal of passing on the traditions and heritage of your family to your children.

From what I've learned there are some groups who find the practice of Halloween disrespectful to thier religious beliefs(not Muslims and not domestic). Since I'm not 100% sure of the who and why I'll not comment further.

IMO, Halloween is a national event which binds neighborhoods and families. What parent doesn't take pictures of his/her kids first time trick or treating in a costume? This is a blatant example of America's heritage and traditions taking a back seat to political correctness. Fortunatley, I think Halloween is too big commercially top go away any time soon. But, I've got no tolerance for leadership with no spine. What's next on the hit list, Thanksgiving?

I think it mainly comes from fundamental christian groups in my area. They see it as the glorifying of Satan. I think it's a huge stretch and it's just a commercialized American holiday.

People are becoming way too concerned/sensitive about names of holidays and organizations that have been around for years. Heck my high school masscot was a chieftan, and suddenly the school board was concerned that after 65 years we might be offending native americans. So they took a vote in school and the winning name for the new school masscot was " the river rats". All of a sudden the chieftan wasn't soo bad and it never did change. Bozo's

The company that I work for has a party every year that just happens to fall right before Christmas. But for some crazy reason they can't call it a Christmas party. Every year it gets me going and I specificly call it that every chance I get. I'll even go out of my way to call it a Christmas party. It seems that we are so worried about making the few load mouths happy that everyone else just sits by and puts up with crap like this.

I hear ya, we just went to the schools "Fall festival", funny how all the kids, (and most of the teachers) were wearing HALLOWEEN costumes!

Can't wait for December so I can go to the "Winter Festival", where we can exchange gifts.

This is in Idaho also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom