What's in your pack?

CPAjeff

I am new to the website, so if this topic has been hashed over before, I apologize for bringing the topic back up.

I am interested in backpack style hunting and I would like to know from the avid backpack hunters what is in your pack.

First off, what pack?
What tent?
What stove (for boiling water)?
What sleeping bag?
What water purification device?
What spotting scope?
What tripod?

Figured I'd reply to this one.

I'm using the Kuiu Ultra 6000- at a little over 3lbs it's hard to beat.

Nothing fancy on my tent. I need to update.

Stove- I use the MSR dragonfly, but I like the Jetboils more.

Sleeping bag- I've got a Kelty 0 degree bag

Water purification- I've got an MSR miniworks, it works great, but it is slow. I've been around guys who use the Katadyn. They are a lot faster but filters also clog faster, and at $50 a shot it gets expensive.

I've been running Swaro's for the last few years and love them. As far as I can tell they are the best, but man they're overpriced! They tripod I use with it is the SLIK 624- it's super light and pretty durable.

I go with whatever manufacturer of the noted necessities you listed as the "Lightest" available, but well built. To me, weight is everything.

What we carry in our packs on way back backcountry archery hunts.
First aid kit: 4inx4in extra gauze pads, tape band aids etc. quick clot for emergency bleeding. Ace bandage, aspirin etc. Bivvy Sac 2.0 for emergency sleeping out overnight . Skinning knife with gut hook. Small light weight garden spade. Lowe's has them in hard plastic. We use that to bury our poop to leave no human scent near where we hunt, empty Gatorade bottle, you know what that's for:). Toilet paper in a plastic zip loc bag to keep it dry..
GPS , small bino's, fire starter, emergency whistle, one person in group carries an ACR.com PLB emergency beacon to signal gps location to satellites for search and rescue. No cell service where we hunt. Each person in our group carries 4 Alaska game bags, several black trash bags. To line your pack to keep blood from you know what :). No scent snacks unwrapped and put in zip loc bags to keep the food scent and noise of opening wrappers down. No tuna, salami, things with a bunch of odors etc. cell phone for pics, we use to carry disposable cameras until technology made it easier to just take that cell phone. We carry a high quality light weight rain jacket with hood to layer over our Scent Lok cloths. Our pants are Gortex or dry plus lined so no need for extra weight of rain gear. Just throw on that rain jacket and were totally water proof. Orange trail marking tape, white light sticks to hang from trees to mark downed game and meat location on pack outs, string, high strength light weight para cord to hang game or boned out meat in game bags in trees. 100 ft. Per person. Smartwool socks... Expensive but worth every penny. Military grade long johns on cold weather hunts. Water proof matches, LED flash light or head lamp Princton Tec brand or equivent. Quality white light is what you want in LED power. One set of extra batteries for flashlight and GPS, Range Finder, gloves , we all have 2 liter Camelback water systems with hose attached to shoulder harness to drink while walking or sitting to limit movement. One bottle Iodine tablets to purify stream water in an emergency.. We have at camp the water purification filtration filter systems but still carry the tablets in our packs.

))))------->

For a 2 day/2 night trip........

MountainSmith Lariat 65 Backpack
1/2 gallon water bladder, plus extra water (qnty just depends)
REI 2-man Tent
Alps Sleeping Bag
Air Mattress
Sleep Pad
Pillow
Coleman Pack Stove
2 Fuels
Pan
Fork
Spoon
Cup
3 Lighters
Paper Towels for 2 Days
Under Armour Shirt
Thermal Shirt
Wool Shirt
1 Extra Socks, 2 if rain is expected
Beanie
Gloves
Camera w/ Extra Batteries & SD Card
Trekking Poles
Velbon Tripod
Swarovski Spotting Scope
Vortex or Swarovski Binoculars
Camera to Scope Adapter
Knife/Pliers Multi-tool
Bug Spray
Sun Block
Tape
iPhone Charger w/ Extra Batteries
Head Lamp w/ Extra Batteries
Extra Head Lamp
Rain Gear
Garbage Bag
TP for 2 Days
Toothpaste
2 Mountain House Meals
3 Oatmeal Servings
2 Granola Servings
2 Atkins Bars
1 Baggie of Trail Mix
8 Coffee Singles
Powder Creamer
25 or so Sweetners
1 Salmon Packet
2 Granola Bars

(For 2 day trips I don't take a water purifier. I take tablets or just enough water to last)

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

Thanks for the input.

Generally speaking, what is your average pack weight when you leave the trailhead headed into the backcountry?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom