what's my group?

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
What do you think my group is? This was at 100 yards on a pretty windy evening using bags. I was shooting my hunting rifle, a 7mm Rem Mag, and custom reloads. Right now I've got it sighted in at 1.25" high at 100 yds.

484c9f3a4479a560.jpg

That would have been my guess. Measure the hole the wide shot makes and subtract that from the farthest out side measurement, or just subtract .284 from the outside measurement to be close enough. Good group, easily more then you need for hunting, and I would guess the wide shot was wind. One three shot group doesn't tell much, as the wide shot could be condition,load, as much as the gun can do, heck the whole group could be a fluke. But if it shoots like that you got a great shooter and you are good to go.

Muley;
That is a great grouping for a hunting rifle. In fact if that rifle is consistant with that grouping, you have the capability of taking deer or elk at very long range.
What I do not understand, why sight in at 1.5 inches at 100 yards? If you increased that to a sight in of 3 inches high at 100 yards, you will increase your point blank killing range from the muzzle to about 325 yards without having to hold over at the longer range. Just put the cross hairs in the center of the chest, behind shoulder, and the bullet will stay in the lung-heart area of a deer out to 325 yards, even further on a larger elk.
But, if you are hunting heavy timber and your shots will not exceed 200 yards, 1.5 inches is perfect for those conditions.

RELH

RELH - you're right. I do need raise it a bit so I don't have to worry with hold over out to 300 yards. Typically, I have closer shots, but this year I'm headed to Eastern CO after deer, so I think I'm going to have it 2.5"-3" high at 100 so I won't be concerned with bullet drop out to 300.

300 yards will be max range since my local gun range actually only goes to 200 yards.

Take advantage of your 300 yard range and print at the longer ranges rather than rely on x" high at 100. Wish my range went to 300.

good group for hunting, i like to sight 2 inches high @100 yards.....real close a 3 & 400 yards with most flat shooting rifles. ,,,,,......yd.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom