What's that smell?

predator

Very Active Member
The wind shot a screaming wail over my head, sending anything not tacked to the ground on a rocket shot into the canyon below, which included myself had I not been gripping the granite so hard that my fingernails wanted to bleed. Making myself as small as possible, I cursed the obsession that drove me into a place as nasty as this, on a day as ugly as today; the microburst blew past and brought with it pounding hail and lightning so fast and furious I thought I was in a microwave. Desperately I clung to my perch and prayed that this was not my last mistake.
Finally the monsoon cleared, the sun cleared out and lit up the county below in a stunning sparkling display of color and light and all but drove the terror recently experience from my mind. Perhaps this is why I was here, this is why I walk through such asinine ravines and rabbit punch through scrub oak. Perhaps.
Maybe it's because of the whiff of wet pine I just caught on the last whisper of wind, or is it the sage....or the wet metallic smell granite always seems to have, rain or not? I sit up and reminisce of the many other times I've found myself here or in someother godforsaken place, questioning what I might have been thinking to do what I'm doing.
I pick up my bow by the string and balance it upon my shoulder and the last rolling echo of thunder fades into the descending blackness. That's it, right there....I can smell the cover scent of my bow wax.....and the realization that the smell of fall, the smell of hunting , is upon me.
Breathe deep the smells of fall and revel in the calming, comforting feelings it brings.

I can't wait for it, can you? We do this every year, folks, it's time again.....what's that smell!

Very good pred!!. Just be careful with your titles. I looked at that title and glanced at the author and thought "what is she talking about"?. I was releaved after I read it. LOL!

C'mon, guys, this is an interactive post....what smells set you off in the fall?

And farting next to the campfire does not count!

The smell of sage on my pant legs, wet aspen leaves in the forest, rabbitbrush in bloom. The taste of Service berries eaten directly off the bush and the smell of a nasty old bull elk.

I love the fall

BeanMan

Here's a few:

1. Wet retriever
2. Duck marsh mud
3. Spent shell cases
4. Linseed oil
5. Fresh split pine
6. ode d' elk
7. precip coming
8. Horse sweat

I will never forget my old shorthair and his exquisite sense of smell. It must have yielded untold pleasure for him. Every fall I'd bring down my game vest and he'd stick his nose in the bag and suck in a deep breath, then roll his eyes up at me as if to say "when?"

Horse turds! The horse "cleaning" out their bellies first thing in the morning after a long night of alfalfa.

Sweaty saddle pads.

The sound of horse shoes scraping the granite rock. The smell of my brother lighting the wall tent stove while I wait for it to get warm.

Ok!, sorry. I love the smell of sage, The smell of pine in my face letting me know I have the wind direction I want. The campfire smoke gliding through the limbs of the old cragy fur bowse. Just the freshness of the air way up in the mountains just at dawn after I have made that 2 hour climb to be where I'm sure that next 30 inch buck is going to be feeding....Sorry pred it's just my wierd sence of humor.

Gold and red aspen leaves blanketing the forest floor that have been moistened by a shower are pleasantly odiferous. Several thousand feet below, the same shower in the sonoran desert brings about my second favorite flavour of the wind.

Doug/RedRabbit

Combination of sagebrush and dead mule deer....LOL
also, a wet lab.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

The smell of blood, mixed with rutted up, urine soaked muley buck, with a hint of alder, from the bark still on his heavy antlers, now that is a smell my nostrils long for.
069729.gif

I live in south central TX. I don't have a clue what the smell is, but I love the smell of the mountains when I get to go hunting in New Mexico/Colorado. Just something about the smell of them when you get there.

What I like to see, is the first blue norther. The one where you are sweating and see a black blue weather line headed your way. And once it hits it blows and its so cold you have to find a jacket for the rest of the day.

I suspect I'd love the first snow if that happened down here.

Labs, wet or dry are pretty high on the list. Get to smell the one here everynite when Cole hops in bed for the nite. What a sight.

Jeff

I love the smell of the mountain Pines, with a cool breeze in my face.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I thought I would include my favorite smell and sound for all seasons

Fall- Mahogany on a cool fall afternoon gives me the rush like nothing else, and a Johnny Cash song from my uncles guitar at deer camp (there is no sleeping that night if the anxiety doesn't get you the melody will)

Winter- Fresh wet snow and the sound of the auger cutting the ice (aaahhh spawning brookies).

Spring- The smell of the sap and bark in the first elk horn I pick up. (My wife thinks I'm crazy when I sit at home smelling the recent sheds I've found) and the sound of a half dozen elk horns rattling on the pack on the way off the mountain.

Summer- Cut alfalfa, there is nothing that calls on summer like freshly cut alfalfa. My favorite summer sound is the screaming drag on my ultralite when I hook into a big brookie.

Damn you guys make it tough to get any work done.
RW

THE SMELL OF A BREEZE INTO MY FACE,SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER WITH 90 GRAINS OF 3FFF BLACK BEHIND A 600 GRAIN SLUG,THE SMOKE ROLLS OUT A LITTLE AND THEN THE BREEZE BRINGS IT RIGHT BACK INTO MY FACE,DAMN THE SMELL!!!

THE SMELL OF A STINKY BULL ELK CLOSE BY BUT NEVER SEEING HIM!!!

THE SMELL OF 'COW IN HEAT' ALL OVER MY CAMO,DAMN THAT SMELLS GOOD!!!

THE SMELL OF THE EXHAUST OFF MY CHUTE-ER PLANE!!!

THE SMELL OF A GREENHORN GUTTING AN ANIMAL AND CUTTING INTO THE GUTS!!!

THE SMELL OF A FRESH VENISON STEAK ON THE GRILL WITH FRESH GARDEN VEGTABLES TO GO WITH IT,NOTHING BEATS THIS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THE SMELL IS GOOD,BUT THE 'FEEL' OF THE FALL AIR ALWAYS GETS ME PUMPED!!!

Howdy,

That is the smell of prairie buckwheat mixed with a tad bit of lavender sage and just a touch of disturbed red sand. Unfortunately, I get to smell sweaty pubescent adolescents until 5:00 every day. What a relief to go home, where my wife has planted prairie buckwheat and lavender sage just because I love the aromas so much!!!

Have a great season folks!

Coach

Coach,
I was just going post a "Where Coach and Canyonwell thread". Good to hear from you. Do you know whats up with Steve?. I hope everything is good with you and Ruthie. I haven't been posting as much the last couple months just to busy. Keith

How about the smell of an old hunting truck. Its kind of a curious blend of copenhagen, spilled coffee, and stale fart. The cold fall air seems to bring it out even more.

It was weird... The other day, I was outside shooting my long bow, it wasn't nearly as hott as it's been (only 75) and all the sudden, a cool breeze came up, and it felt like FALL!! All the sudden I got a rush thinking about hunting, and fall. It was great!!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom