What's your 20 ?

R

Rackcrawler

When I read these posts and read what you all have to say; some comments I agree with some I don't I sit and wonder where you guys are from. You know it's kind of funny that no matter where we are from small towns and large, most of us have the same overall committment(obsession) to our sport. Whether trophy or meat hunter.
It sounds like a lot of you have hunted together or know each other and it's obvious a lot of you are from Utah. It's a beautiful state I've hunted there and I've lived there for a while in the early 70's.
I'm not just talking about the people from Utah, but the other state's as well.
I live in a small town about of about 3500, 35 miles SE of Seattle in Black Diamond, WA. Along the foothills of the Cascades.
Your turn, where are you from?

Might as well get this out of the way....Salt Lake City, blood type O+, middle initial is D, oldest of 6 kids. Never been married, but i've had a lot of wives hold me. I like short hunts in the mountains, Beer, and getting caught in the rain. I'm a pisces, and one awful archer.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

" i shouldn't mention rain around you, huh?"

Well I was born in Moab Utah. My family moved to Green River Wyoming in 1975 when I was 4. I lived in Green River until 1997, Then I moved to Rock Springs Wyoming Where I still live today.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-09 AT 10:37PM (MST)[p]Richfield UT here...down in Southern Utah..
Just off the hill from where the famous Spidey used to call home.
and right in the middle of some of the greatest elk hunting units in the world!
I live in the Monroe unit, have the Pahvant unit boundry about 500 yards behind my house, the Fishlake is about 6 miles from here, the Beaver about 18 miles, the Dutton about 40 miles, the Boulder about 50 miiles and the Manti about 20 miles(all rough mileages)

RC,

I'm 25 years now in a small timber/resort/vacation town off the beaten path called Chester. It's situated on the NW bank of lake Almanor, Plumas Co. Calif. Town sits at 4500 ft but because of Mt Lassen we get the snow common in much higher evevations. Main st Chester splits the northern Sierras from the southern Cascades. Best part of living up here is the public ground, It's everywhere!! For California, ain't a half bad place to really live!!

Joey

Eureka CA is at about 9 feet or so, I think my house is a 45 feet. An hour and a half to the Oregon border. I also just a year ago took a job as Eelgrass's whip-n boy.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

I've lived in Santa Maria, Ca for the past 36 1/2 of my 37 years. Its about 180 miles north of Los Angeles and about 180 miles south of San Francisco. It's about 8 miles as the crow flies east of the Pacific ocean. Great weather...got the beach and mountains close by.

Steve

El Dorado Hills, California. East of Sacramento on the way to Lake Tahoe. Lived here the last 21 years, been in the Sacramento area all of my 50 years. We don't have the elk hunting that antlerrick enjoys, but we've got a ton of bird hunting, good blacktail hunting and lots of fishing around here.

Oh, and we don't have to draw tags to hunt turkeys, either! LOL!

northern cali about 90 miles south of eureka and about 5 miles as the crow flies from the ocean. thhe population sign says something like 300 people and about 900 feet above sea level.heres our towns biggest tourest attraction.the drive thru tree.
4966ff9c5b7d5239.jpg

I live in Lone Pine, Ca., at the base of Mt.Whitney. I was born here at a very early age. I am 62 years old, semi retired and play outside every day......I also take a nap every day.

My house is at about 4500' also, but unlike Sage, we are on the east side of the Sierra and don't get that much snow in the yard.

I am surrounded by a bizillion acres of public land, holding just about all the wildlife in the west, (except turkeys, pigs and antelope).....all of which I can find in 15 minutes from my front door.

It may be California, but I can find a bull elk quicker than a "POSTED, No HUNTING" sign.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-09 AT 01:37AM (MST)[p]I live in the N/E area of Yuba Co, CA. on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada Mnt. range at 2,000'. About 80 miles N/E of Sacramento, CA. Will get very little snow most times. Have deer and turkeys walk though my yard every day. Within 30 minutes of 7 great fishing lakes and three rivers. Good trout fishing creek 100 yards below my home with full access.
We built our home in 84 after moving here from the flatlands and the wife and I have no intentions of ever moving from here. The folks are more laid back and friendly and nothing like the rat race you see in the larger cities of CA.
Retired from law enforcement and now make custom hunting knives. Firearms, hunting, fishing have been a long passion and living here allows me to enjoy them that much more then living in a city would.
NO! Eel, you can not come over and shoot my bucks or turkeys.

RELH
Sageadvice; My father in law took many 4 and 5 point blacktails from your Chester area in the 60's & early 70's when the deer hunting had alot less pressure then it does today.

I was born in Missoula MT 21 years ago and have never moved out of the area. I'm the fourth generation in my family to be born and raised here.
Missoula sits at 3200 feet and has probably the mildest weather in the state. Its a big valley formed by a glacial lake that has three rivers joining together in it.
Great fly fishing and deer hunting in every direction. Also surrounded by many of the best sheep districts in the country.
Missoula gets a bad rap as being the most left wing town in Montana, but there's still a pretty good group of outdoorsman and true Montanans living here.

North Idaho, litle town 30mi. north of coeur d' alene. called Athol. pop. 600, and not to sure if there counting the same folks twice, 36, married, and a little man that just turned 1 yesterday:)

Born and raised in Gunnison Utah.Now live 32 miles farther to the South in Richfield Utah.(ROD)

I am from the Blue Ridge Mtns of north west NC, I grew up in a small town called Sparta.

I just turned 33, been married 10 yrs, have two girls one 2.5yrs and one 9mos.

Our house sits at 3140 ft. We get a few good snows every winter.

At home I mostly hunt WT deer, eastern wild turkey, ruffed grouse, & once in a while coyotes and ground hogs! I fish as much as I can too, the New River is about 10 mins from home and has good smallmouth bass fishing & tiger musky.

Elk hunting is my favorite, I wish like everything I had been born and raised out west somewhere.

My user name "completesportsman" is because I try to hunt for everything with every weapon. (bow, muzzleloader, rifle). I don't claim to be good at any of it but completely enjoy it all!

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

I currently reside in Fort Worth Texas, but only consider it where I fall asleep. I am originally from Phoenix where I lived for 32 years.

I have a 40 acre vacation property in 18 just south of Seligman Arizona where I eventually plan to retire.

I don't get to hunt as much as I like, but hunt as much as I can. My favorite hunts are elk, Muley's, and pheasant. MM is like crack to me. I spend a couple hours a day on here reading and daydreaming, but don't post a lot since I have not been hunting in the last 2 years (haven't drawn the tags I wanted).

I have a great deal of respect for many of the members on here, and hope I too will get a good tag some day. My best buck to date was 184 and change, and my best bull was 287 and change. Really hoping this is the year I draw my kaibab tag.......

Born in Redding Ca, lived in Palo Cedro. Moved to Texas for college in 2000 got married in May this past year. Live North of Abiline Tx an hour and miss the mountains and streams everyday. Drift boating the Trinity Sacramento and the babes on Shasta Lake in the summer. AHHH

Born in Salt Lake.Been in Spring Creek,Nevada (15 miles from Elko) since 1987. Hey, RELH, my wifes parents live down close to you. They live in the Sierra's by a little town called North San Juan. They also have deer and turkeys in they're yard. Guess I ought to look into possibly getting a tag down there. I havent even ever checked the regs before. Do you live close to here? Awesome country down there. I can't stand the windy roads.

Currently live in Richfield, Utah about two blocks from antlerrick. Raised in Centerfield (there aint no peter like a sanpeter) and still call there home.
Like many of the above, I like to hunt almost anything but don't get to hunt as much as I would like!

Currently live in Mitchell, NE population aobut 1200. Which is about 12 miles from the Wyoming border. Ample opportunity to hunt just about anything you can think of within 20 minutes of the house. Even elk about 30 min if you can ever draw a NE tag.

Aim Center Mass
rifleman.gif

Northern Wisconsin and Obviously waaay to close to Feleno. I hunt and fish for everything thats warm and moves. I usually spend 30-40 days in Montana and wyoming in the summer fishing and camping along with a Canadian walleye fishing trip thrown in for good measure.
Driftersifter

I live in southern California, city of Laguna Hills which is about half way between Los Angeles and San Diego. We are about 6 miles from Dana Point where I keep my boat now (since they closed salmon) so my wife and I spend a lot of time on the ocean but the fishing sucks down here, however the dove hunting is great but other than that you can have it.

We are looking at homes in the Sacramento area to relocate as both my wife and I are not real fond southern CA. I was born in Fresno but moved to Sacramento at a early age that is where I grew up and we both like the area, lots to do in the Sacramento area as it's in the middle of everything I enjoy fishing, hunting, 4 wheeling, etc..

RELH - You close to Browns Valley? I have family up there and have been going up to that area for past 30+ years. They have the same scenario as you, deer, turkeys, quail. The spring turkey hunting is great to say the least and some pretty fair deer hunting in the area.

Jim

Hamburg MN. About 50 miles west of ,Minneapolis, population 700. I hunt whitetail with my bow, muzzleloader around home and with the rifle in northern MN. I love hunting whitey's but I think my trip out west every year is the highlight of the year for me.

>French Lick, Indiana

Somehow the name "French Lick" doesn't surprise me Feleno..

John Day, Oregon. A small town with one stop light in the east central part of the state. Our football team went 13-0 and won the state championship which my son was a part of.

when I first joined MM I lived in Flagstaff, AZ. From there I went to Fort Collins, CO so my wife could become a vet. Now that she is, we have moved back to AZ and are in Prescott Valley.

"I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!"

I also live in Richfield Utah. I just have to say +1 to what Rick said...we live in GREAT elk Country!!!!! I thought there was not better place to live in the world!

I get the best of both worlds though...I get to live in Richfield, but I also travel a LOT! I have had the great opportunity to meet some AWESOME people from the MM community. I have had Breakfast with Overton in Santa Rosa and have gone Duck Hunting with CAElknuts. In fact I will back out in the are with Elknuts again this next week and we are trying to plan some time to go kill some Geese and ducks again on this trip.

I feel fortunate to live where I do and be able to raise my kids in a WONDERFUL place. I live only a block from where I grew up and really like it, but I also get to see the world and travel. I put lots of miles in an Airplane but there are worse things to have to do!!!

Holy Crap!

do you think Feleno is Larry Bird in drag??

-

Hail from north of Feleno near Fort Wayne, IN

Cornfields, white tails and amish women

don't get much better than that

LH

I am from the sin free state of Utah.
Home of big bucks, giant bulls and thousands of bishops daughters.

Wait.......something just doesn't sound right in this!!
LMAO!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I live in northern California.
Here's the family compound.

I like where I live...

home1.jpg

Scouting blacktail country five minutes from house.
sl.jpg

"On the rocks", a favorite glassing knob.

sl1.jpg

Another lookout looking east.
sl2.jpg

Northern California.

I live in Chico during the week and live at Lake Almanor close to Sageadvise on the weekends.

born in houma, louisiana. 60 miles southwest of nawlens. moved to spencer tennessee 6 years ago. just looking for a change of scenery. i wanted to move out west but the wife overruled my vote.

Eureka, Nevada. I'm a commercial fisherman.

Just kidding....Eureka, CA. elevation about 150' but I can see the ocean from my house.

I like long walks on the fairway but seldom hit the ball that far so I settle for short walks.:)

I enjoy whipping Deadred707.

I will never shoot RELHs' deer or turkeys. He's MEAN!

Eel

Always treat the land with respect. Remember, you didn't inherit the land from your parents, you're borrowing it from your kids.

Benson, Utah. At the forks of the Bear and Little Bear rivers, where great, great grandpa homesteaded in 1860. Nice spot for pheasants, waterfowl, catfish and walleye. Family runs a pheasant club in the fall and winter and a canoe livery when the water is a little softer than right now. Most of the time I work out of my basement about 30 yards from the river.
49681b3f39450c7d.jpg

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

My signature says it all. It is a double play on where I am from and where I live. UT for Utah (where I'm from - Vernal) and UT for the University of Texas at Austin - where I go to school and am employed. I live in Round Rock about 17 miles north of downtown Austin.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Ft Collins, Co born and raised, now Im in Loveland,Co, made it 10 miles in 43 years!! No place better than Colorado that Ive found but Im still looking. Gary

SISQUE--- Used to whip yo ass in High football when I lived in Big Valley HEHHE...man that was a long ass bus ride.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-09 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p] Never grew up anywhere. From Woods Cross Ut. For now Ogden Ut. Lived all over the western part of the country and Idaho. When I get old like EElgrass I want to live by the ocean become a woodchopper. This is boaring Maybe I will go install a sewer line in the basin for hickabilly Bessy and company. hint.

Rutnbuck

Born in Shelby, Montana up on the Hi-Line. Moved to the Bitteroot very young. Grew up living in the woods. Left for a while, but am now back here forever with my 5 acres and a house I built by myself for the wife and my two children. mtmuley

Should have prefaced this post with "so, who's not from utah"

I am from Lostine oregon. Northeast oregon, sits right on the brim of the deepest canyon gorge in north america.

I'm not to far from sageadvice, and only a few miles from Calelkslayer. Haven't heard from him in awhile.I live right on the western edge of the great basin close to Janesville Ca. Have alot of fish and game around but just not enough time to go get em though.

Born in Grass Valley, CA and at a very young age of 6 months, my folks and I moved to Mountain View close to San Jose. At 4-1/2 years we moved to Healdsburg, CA about 60 miles north of SF. Been here every since except my 8-1/2 years in service and Vietnam combined. Been retired now over 7 years and spend too much time on computer and this website.....LOL

Brian

When I posted this I didn't know if I was breaking some kind of etiquette thing or not. I figured it wasn't called Monster Muleys Anonymous, also I didn't know if it was posted previously.
I did learn one thing. I'm never clicking the box at the bottom for e-mail responses again.
Great response and posts keep them coming.
Tom

I was born and raised is Sandy Utah. I am now Married and have 2 kids and three dogs. Oh and one beta fish named swimmy, it's my daughters beta. Don't tell here but when it dies it will look good on the wall, can you stretch those things LOL????. I now live in Riverton Ut. Did I get on this to late damn I should pay better attention. 10-7

I live in deep southern Illinois near a small farming and coal mining community called Galatia. I am 61 years old and have been retired the past 5 years after teaching vocational agriculture for 34 years at two local high schools. Hunted Colorado about 25 times within the past 30 years. Venture to South Dakota/Wyoming about every early summer to shoot at some prairie dogs. Mostly use the muzzle loader when hunting in Colorado.

Bishop, California. In the deepest valley in the nation, 60 miles north of Lone Pine. Born and raised here. Nickman is right, we live in the second largest county in the state with only two percent private land. Worst part is, the greenies want to put 700,000 more acres away for wilderness. All in all, I would'nt want to live anywere else, It's the prettiest place in the world.
Thanks, Doug.

I'm in Eagle Mtn. Utah. About 45 mins south west of Salt Lake. I have lived in Utah all my life. I don't see myself going too far from here anytime soon. Love being close to the hills. All kinds of hunting and fishing close by.

I will say I am suprised by all of ya'll living in Cali. I guess MM is popular over there too.
redelkarcher>>>---------------->

Born in Heber Springs, Arkansas but was raised in Florida and lived there until I was 30. Moved to Elko, Nevada and have been here for 15 years. I've always been obsessed with the West and feel privelidged to live here. fatrooster.

Chandler Arizona...about 20 minutes southeast of Phoenix. Originally from Sacramento, CA been out here in the desert for 6 years now. I think all of the archery opportunities this state allows us will keep me happy to stay here for a very long time! While it would be nice to live in the hills, Im glad hunting grounds are only a short drive away

>I will say I am suprised
>by all of ya'll living
>in Cali. I guess
>MM is popular over there
>too.
>redelkarcher>>>---------------->

Yep MM is alive and well Cali. andt of yes there are alot
of us.. Who would have thought?

The real N. Calif. Hornbrook is where I grew up now I live about 15 minutes from there out if the flickets........

Hey Sisqhunter, did you grow up here?? I work with a bunch of you valley boys..............

Slide

Grew up in Highland Utah chasing anything I could......Now I'm in Roosevelt Utah (about 20 miles from Altamont....everyone knows where that is) doing the same!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-09 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]On a mesa top just south of Palisade, Colorado. No stop lights, one micro brewery, and one distillery. 38 miles east of Utah so I'm sort of an honorary Utard. I grew up in Fort Collins, Colorado back when it was a nice little Front Range town.
Out the back door, Sparkey is looking for another one of those coyotes.
Sparkeyroasterbruise003.jpg

Looking down on Palisade from BLM land on the side of the Grand Mesa with the eastern most terminus of the Bookcliffs behind.

Freds2006elk001.jpg

Bean

Born in Carbon county Utah then the parents dragged me to the land of ZION...geeez when I grow up and don't have to work for a living I want to move to some place far away....RIMROCK

High desert of southwest idaho, Boise area. Sits at the base of the Boise mountains. Some of the most rugged and beautiful country just a hour or so north of us. Those of you who have been here no what i mean? 2 hours east of the deepest canyon in north america. 30 mins north of the snake river. 1 hour north of the legendary Owyhee moutains. 4 hours south of one of the best steelhead rivers in north america (great salmon fishing too)! All and all this place offers it.

I lived in several places in the west and traveled and spent time in every western state ( I have lots of relatives scattered all across the West). I live on a couple acres in Flagstaff at the end of a dirt road at the edge of the Coconino National Forest. I can leave my house and go all the way to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon (about 50 miles away across public land) and never hit pavement. Flagstaff can be windy, is expensive to live here and not many good paying jobs, and can get a lot of snow (6th snowiest town in the lower 48 according to one site), and kinda sucks to have the 5 million people in metro Phoenix only 150 miles away, but is nice to have elk and deer run through your property and also live just below a 12,633 foot mountain. Beautiful scenery, spectacular sunsets and sunrises, and the largest stand of Ponderosa pine trees anywhere. Don't know if I will stay here forever though - probably too expensive for my kids to stay here once they are older - they'll probably have to move.

Well, I lived in Ftn Green, Utah for the first 14 years of my life, then Vernal, Utah for 10 and now Riverton Utah. Man, I would love to go back to good old Ftn Green...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

Las Vegas, NV. Originally from south central Idaho,and I want to go home.
I've worked, lived, and hunted every state west of Neb. while building powerlines through the I.B.E.W.
Brother in Elko, NV the same way.
I can relate to all the beautiful country alot of you live in and talk about cuz I've been to alot of them.
Hunt rifle, ML, and bow, fish, hike, and camp with a passion.
Stumpjumpin is climbing power poles.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom