Whats your choice or scopes

nfh

Long Time Member
Let's keep the bashing down. What's your favorite LR scope and why? Pros and cons

My dad is looking to retire and he wants to shoot LR. No he isn't going to hunt LR. Just needs a hobby during retirement. The rem model 700 7mag is getting a makeover and is currently at a gun smith.

He loves my burris eliminator but doesn't like the weight. He also likes my vortex pst gen 2. As some say he doesn't like a messy scope so that's one part he doesn't like. To much to

He has been leupold guy his whole life but is sick of sending them off for repair but is open to the idea.

Just want to here others opinions

My two favorites are bushnell LRHS, and now maven RS1.2. Both durable/track correctly, good magnification range, FFP but reticle still visible on low power. If he is OK with second focal plane there are a lot more decent/reliable options.

There are tons of good scopes on the market right now and you will get an equal amount of recommendations. I use Leupold because of the reduced weight. I use mine almost exclusively for hunting but I have no complaints. The only time I've sent mine back was a problem I caused, yet they still repaired it for free and sent it back.

Night force.

Leupold are great scopes but I'm not sure their tracking equals Night force.

If cost is no object then definitely Smidt & Bender

Depends on the budget. Optical quality is #1 in my book.
For me the best two scopes I have shot are:
1. Tangent Theta
2. Kahles
I'm sure there are more expensive ones than these but these were expensive enough for me.
There is no comparison between the above 2 and nightforce, leopold etc...
On the cheaper side I still go with Leopold scopes

your going to get every opinion under the sun. like asking blonde or brunette.

but like i said. buy a night force and be done. scenario here, retired guy that wants to shoot stuff off a bench far away. a night force has great construction, great glass and great turrets. you can dial them up and down all day long and they will be consistent every time (not to mention solid zero stop)

so a NXS or NX8 for around 2k gets your dad everything he will need for probably the rest of his shooting career.

but yeah, you can drop 5k on a scope to make sure you look cooler then the guy next you. with a nightforce you'll still look cooler then the 80% of the guys at the range with a leo or vortex though. so pretty good ratio

If it's not for hunting , then weight shouldn't be an issue. If you're on a budget, can't beat the sightron siii scopes.

How much does he want to spend, and how far does he want to shoot?

Thanks all for the suggestions.

He is willing to spend the money. I sent him a list. He is pretty serious about the nightforce and the eliminator 5.

Even though his 7 mag is getting a make-over. sounds like he is ordering a seekins havak with the hit chassis.

Personally I would take JPickett's advice and just buy a Nightforce and been done with it.

I have multiple leupold, vortex and nightforce. I have had some inconsistency issues with 1 out of 3 leupolds not tracking consistently. That Leupold is a lower end model. I have a Vortex on a 338 Lapua and has been 100% reliable for close to 1000 rounds. 4 Nightforce and zero issues with all 4.

Nightforce does have a great reputation for reliability. If you have shots not impacting where you expect, the scope isn't likely the problem. The glass clarity isn't as good Swarovski and I find Leupold on average has better clarity.

Leupold, Burris or Vortex would likely all be scopes he would be happy with but Nightforce does have the best reputation for reliability.

You can’t argue about the dependability, tracking and holding zero of Nightforces’s. About the only negative is the weight of some of their scopes.

I also really like the Trijicon Credo and Tenmile line of scopes. For an all around hunting scope with a turret it’s really hard to beat the Credo HX 2.5-15x42. I recently picked up a Leica Amplus 6 3-18x44, haven’t had a chance to mount it yet but the glass is great and it is definitely quality.

If you were looking for strictly a long range bench gun I would look close at the Trijicon Tenmile lineup.

Last edited:
I have a S&B pmII on a rifle that’s pretty good. The gun and scope weigh a lot so it’s only for target and long range fun. It was the best thing out there about 9 years ago and it might be obsolete now. I remember when I bought it, I read all I could and watched as many videos I could because I knew that the scope was better than me and I had to get it right from the beginning or I was not going to see any kind of improvement.

I have fired other’s Nightforce and that’s what I might do on the next sporting long range rifle.

My LR short list well not short in no particular order well except the last ones and quite a few great ones you all have missed.
Hensoldt ZF For 12k put that on a hunting rig 😂😂
Tangent Theta Best Ive had the opportunity to use
Nightforce ATACR My personal favorite that I can Afford
Kahles owned by Swarovski had a k318i went back to ATACR
Schmidt Bender
Minox ZP5
ZCO
Nightforce XN8 picking up 1st one Sunday for the varmint rifle.
Steiner
MarchX
Leica
Swarovski Z8
Zeiss LRP S5
Huskemaw Ya I bit I have one
Trijicon
Tract
US Optics
Element Nexus
Leupold VX6-HD still have one
Burris
Bushnell
I'm missing quite a few and most are not your grandpas rifle scopes.
About 5 years ago pretty much everyone has a scope line of great glass it really comes down to personal preference IMO.
Price, Power, Reticle, Weight, Durability ECT ECT

Any Vortex Is Like Putting Lipstick On A Pig IMO
Quigley Ford is worse than that

I run two March 4.5-28, US Optics 3-17 and 5-25 and Zeiss LRP S5 3-18. You get what you pay for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom