Whats your Favorite Big Game Animal and method of Hunting it

ismith

Very Active Member
Just wondering what everyones favorite big game animals are and how they perfer to hunt them. Mine would have to be Elk during the rut. Nothing quite like a close encounter with a riled up bull elk!
Irl

Mine is probably which ever tag I have at the time :). At the moment, it's javelina. In a few more months, turkey..... then we'll see what the draw gods have in mind for me next year.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-06 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]REDHEADS!WHEN THERE IN THE RUT.

Just kidding muledeer,waterfowl!
Rackmaster

Muleys in the rolling deep sage with patches of quakies.

As far as birds, I love sharpies the best. I love to be all alone on large tracts of CRP with sharpies flying.

I agree, what ever critter I have a tag for. Though my dreams are filled with big mulies.

Mule deer is definitely my fav, but if we are wandering outside of the big game realm, pheasants are probably my favorite. Nothing like the sounds of a rooster flushing 5 feet in front of you. Seeing a dog come back with an ole ringneck in its mouth is pretty sweet too.

Dream animals or favorite animals to hunt?
I've been fortunate to take some pretty neat animals.
I considered the great bears (Grizzlies & Browns) right near the top.
I have taken both and still rate them very highly, they are very intelligent and can kill and eat you!
Big bucks (Muleys or Blacktails) are a mainstay and I look forward to hunting the high country annually for them.
As far as Trophy animals I haven't taken?
I'd put a Stone Sheep or Polar Bear at the top of my North American list.
Techinques?
Bowhunting gives a sense of accomplishment like nothing else, but I ain't quite ready to throw away my rifles quite yet.
HH

I love muleys but I would hunt BIG BULL elk if I could afford IT or atleast buy a branched antlered tag OTC. Elk tags are hard to get so it's big muleys for now.

1. Big Muleys of course
2. Big Antelope (I love hunting for BIG antelope)
3. Sheep, Goat, Moose if I could ever draw a tag
4. The Sneaky Whitetail
5. Everything else (Coyotes, Birds, Woman, etc.)
Last. Big Elk, I swear once I shoot a good 6 pt., I will never chase those expensive, heavy, run around the mountians like nothing, never in the same place, heavy, migrating last year but not this year, sneaky, heavy, expensive, got to have a horse, sons-of-bitches again. If you want me to come along to cook/wrangle/drink beer with, then heck yes I will go.

7D

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, doesn't matter who wins, you're still a retard?

I like antelope hunting for the pure fun of it. I like deer hunting for the serious fun of it.

I was going to say Turt........but out of respect for Andyman, I won't!:)

Steve

I like all hunting but If I have to pick one It will Have to be chasing Elk in September!!

Nothing gets the blood pumping for me more than elk, thats the most exciting animal for me by far. I spend way more time muley hunting though. Cant get over the amazing places these guys call home. I also trophy hunt muleys, and just hunt ek, usually cows. It's nice to pull out a picture of a big muley when everyone else is passing around whitetail pictures, muleys are just a more interesting critter.
My favorite bird hunting is chasing big blues around. harder than hell to find but exciting when you do. It's nice getting paybacks on em too (scared the hell out of me more than once deer hunting).

My favorite is, well I have at least four. Bull Elk in the rut with a muzzleloader. Big Muleys, Desert Sheep, and bear. This spring I will find out about turkeys. Just getting out with family and friends thats what it is about to me.

No doubt and no comparison. Mule deer are head and shoulders above anything else. And I like to hunt them in the brush country or the plains. I'm thankful to have had that opportunity from Nebraska to Calif and from Alberta to Texas.

Second is a pronghorn antelope. Fun critters that make a living in some tough country.

Third would be any other hooved mammal except elk, but I can't seem to draw any licenses for them - like sheep, goat or moose.

Muleys and speed goats would be my favorite, but I'll hunt whatever is legal, with any weapon, and have a blast doing it.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

If monster Muleys would bugle and make the hair on the back of my neck stand up like a bull Elk does, I would hunt nothing else but, untill they do I am gonna have to say archery Elk with Muleys a close second.

Why do we have to choose just one. I refuse to pick just one. I have had so many great hunts the best ones are the ones with my family, friends and dog.
It is not the kill but the hunt and the fish.
Rut

I'd have to go with Elk. I just find them the most interesting animals, I really enjoy hunting them. I would also say they are the best eating of all the big game animals.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom