When do the bulls scrape velvet?

NVPete

Very Active Member
July 22...just almost too dark to see...out scouting around...I encountered several small bulls that definitely were in velvet...BUT... I thought the decent six pt. I saw appeared to have scraped off his velvet already! Is this possible?

Big bulls usually the first 10 days in August, Smaller bulls the end of August.

I have been scouting a bunch for my upcoming hunt and have seen a lot of bulls -all are still in full velvet that I have seen. We did see a bull last week that was tenderly rubbing his antlers in some aspen branches, but definitely not getting after it like they do when they really start scraping.

I have watched good bulls rub the weekend of the 24th of July in past scouting trips.
redelkarcher>>>--------------------->

I want to say Aug 15-30th? I am sure it varies, but would bet by Sept 1st it is all done but some odd cases? I dont claim to be a pro on the subject, but that is my observation.

The last few years I have had the chance to watch a lot of bulls in Late July and then through the Bowhunt. Without fail, the mature bulls I have watched have all been rubbed by the opening weekend of the archery elk hunt (Around Aug 20). I know last year at least 1 or 2 bulls were killed still in velvet. I have seen several of the bigger bulls rub off over the last weekend of July.

Watching the bulls this year, their points are starting to stretch tight and look like they are going to poke through very soon. One thing is for sure, the hunt is approaching and we will start seeing some stinky's on the ground again!!! I can't wait!

Silentstalker,
Are ya goin to archery hunt the unit?. probably one of the best ways to keep track of em especially right before yur brothers hunt. I have seen lots of cows and small bulls, nothin big yet. They usually show up fairly late in the archery hunt. I'll keeep track
Lambo

There are too many variables to factor in. I would say that water availability has a huge part of it. I saw a bull this weekend (JUly 26) that had antlers that were white as snow, so it's possible for them to rub this early obviously.

I know that it has been a super wet spring and the summer has been hot and dry so far around here. Who really knows, it's like asking when they will start bugling. They will do whatever they want whenever they want and it will drive us all crazy in the process....

We always seem to be behind everyone here in AZ south of the canyon.

I've watched some of the bigger bulls rub during the archery deer hunt the 2nd or 3rd week of august.

Is that ethical?

Water availability can effect the velvet but it is the amount of sunlight reaching their eyes that trigger a huge release of testosterone that actually clogs the blood supply to the velvet and kills it causing it to itch and then they rub---big bulls will rub anytime now through the month of Aug. Some bulls keep it on longer some lose it by end of July but most will keep for another 15 days then it will come off.

Thanks for all the posts. As a wildlife watcher this year (no tags), I just think its cool to observe them from loss of last years antlers, through early growth to midsummer growth to finishing to scraping off of velvet in preparation of the rut. It would be cool for someone to do a photo essay following a particular bull through the growth season.I finally saw a big bull the other day and not just a smaller bull, he looked like his growth was just about complete.

I went out scouting tonight and saw 7 bulls. Two of them were mature bulls for the unit and had already rubbed off. Their horns were snow white.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom