When do the elk start dropping?

elkhuntin247

Im a new shead hunter and my kids and I are going out to the Black Hills of Eastern WY and western SD. I was wondering about when they start to drop so we can schedule our trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

The earliest elk shed I've ever heard of was March 9th (well, I've heard of some very early dates but this was the earliest one where I actually saw the guy with the horn in hand), the earliest that I have found was April 3rd. I rarely go out for elk before April 15th and even then I will see bulls that still have their horns. It can be different in every area though. Be sure to check the restrictions on antler hunting in WY, I think it's just the west that's got a season but it wouldn't hurt to double check.

Tax day was what I always considered drop day for mature bulls in Idaho. I haven't been out for 20 years in April, wow life has changed.

DZ

I would recommend starting around the 15th of April. The competition is heavy and for that article you can about imagine how many more people will be there. Of course now that article has made its rounds everyone will be out there and that group of elk will be so scattered from all the yahoos chasing them around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom