When the DFG goes BAD

If the information is correct in the news report, I do not think the county District Attorney will take this to trial. One reason being that there does appear to a be a double standard on shooting within 150 yards of the barn as described by the landowner when he talked to the game warden.

I do look for the hunter to have another fight with DFG on getting his deer back and may have to take that to court to force a decision of who gets the trophy. I will not comment on if the warden was right or wrong based on a news story. I have seen too many past news stories that had the facts all screwed up and later found to be false in many areas of what really happen or was said.

RELH

HunterHarry;

I happen to know one of the many wardens that have appeared in Wild Justice. He would never have issued a citation in this case and he would not have told the land owner one thing and turn around and cite that hunter for the same thing he told the land owner he could do.

RELH

Yeah, the media is not what I would consider a reliable source. The hunter would do well to leave out his measurement of 115 yards with the range finder as he may technically have taken the buck contrary to regulatory limits. The incongruent measurements the warden stated to the land owner and hunter and lack of accurate measurement may be enough to defunct the case. Even if guilty, the hunter may still be allowed to keep the animal and just pay a fine for the regulatory indiscretion. It would be up to the judge.

I had to quit watching "Wild Justice".Seems like those wardens have an inherent dislike for hunters.Maybe it's the way the program is presented(probably).At any rate,it sure makes me glad I don't hunt in Cali.

Sounds to me like this warden is pissed off because the kid killed the deer he wanted to kill.

>HunterHarry;
>
> I happen to know
>one of the many wardens
>that have appeared in Wild
>Justice. He would never have
>issued a citation in this
>case and he would not
>have told the land owner
>one thing and turn around
>and cite that hunter for
>the same thing he told
>the land owner he could
>do.
>
> >
> RELH

Well that's good to hear RELH, I am just so frustrated with California right now.

Seems treehuggers are infiltrating the California Dep of fish & "WILDLIFE", the Humane society has a voice in our wildlife management, Governor Jerry Brown, signs a bill banning the pursuit of bears & bobcats with hounds, the leutennant Governor of California was a big player in the pushing of prop 117 the special protection of mountain lions, The dept of Fish & Game was forced to change it's name to Fish & Wildlife, costing millions of dollars to complete, etc...etc...

I recentley purchased some bobcat tags at our regional Fish & Game (oos! I mean Fish & Wildlife Office)looking into one of the offices I could see the walls decorated with glamorous photos of wolves and mountain lions.

Just seems sometimes that the entire focus of the department has shifted from being an ally of the sportsman to an adversary.

Well, it's good to know there are still a few reasonable officers out there...

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-12 AT 03:36PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7107joshkettlbuck_t620.jpg

"It turns out that one of the biggest bucks ever shot in San Diego County......."

Really?

"The deer is a trophy buck of a lifetime, scoring 147 non-typical, 143 typical frame. It had a 4x8 rack (four symmetrical points on the right, eight non-typical points on the left and split eye guards, rare for a Southern mule deer). Kettl said the buck?s score is the highest ever for a California mule deer."

Really? Kettl should be cited for that statement alone:)

I know that's not the point of this post, but judging from what is reported in the newspaper, it's pretty hard to make a rational call. It does seem real ticky tacky to me though.

I wonder how they know he shot from 115 yards of the barn? Did the warden make him take him to the shot site? That seems weird and vindictive.

Eel

"The deer is a trophy buck of a lifetime, scoring 147 non-typical, 143 typical frame. It had a 4x8 rack (four symmetrical points on the right, eight non-typical points on the left and split eye guards, rare for a Southern mule deer). Kettl said the buck?s score is the highest ever for a California mule deer."

Yeah, I caught that too Steve....

Don't look an inch over 300" to me....

:)

"Really"

I picked up on that too. Larrbo's buck that he killed this past week and posted in the Cali Forum scored about 170 and the one he killed in the same place last year was over 180. That buck is certainly no record "mule deer".

I see now where some of the Wardens are checking loads of firewood for the correct number of permit stamps...

I personally have had no trouble at all with Wardens and the guys i have met from this area seem to be nice enough guys but some of the things i see on that Justice tv show are, IMO, way overboard.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

elkun, i don't know you but i will offer you free lodging for the weekend sometime if you would care to come visit.

We can walk to a reservoir that holds lots of 3-6 pound bass, drive 5 minutes to a bigger lake that we routinely, especially this time of year, catch 3-6 pound rainbows and brown trout. Fish any number of high mountain lakes with us being the only ones there. Travel for days on public ground and wide open private timber that everybody can hunt, fish, or camp, as they wish. I have world class Elk and awesome Antelope hunting within a bit over a hours drive. Decent goose and duck hunting within walking distance. Grouse on the higher ridges and loads of mountain quail, even some coming in my yard.

I see a cop car about every other day, usually on the highway, and have great neighbors, all hard working people, that never seem to need any help even when the snows get piled up higher than our rooftops.

Don't get me wrong, on two accounts, kali needs a ton of fixing but that mostly comes from those libs who live near the bigger cities On the other hand, i, and a lot of other people, live in one of the very nicest places in the United States to live. It's beautiful here, nobody bothers us, it's just like life in a small mountain town that a guy could desire or want anywhere. This, and it's still not too far from my family and roots!

Now, if only things that need fixen could get fixed, this place would be like heaven!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey, you could not have said it any better. I feel the same about where I live in N.CA. Of course that is not that very far from where you live.

Most out of state guys judge our intire state from what they have seen or heard in Southern CA. or the Bay area. Totally different world in the Northern part and Eastern Sierra mountain range.

RELH

+1 Joey and RELH, it's gods country here in the Eastern Sierra, but it sucks putting up with the big city agenda we cant seem to get away from.

Brownie

+1 Joey. We still have some old time tough hunters in Kali too. You should have seen them out Brant hunting this weekend. 40-50 knot winds on the bay, with a never say die attitude.

Not too many crabbers out though:)

Eel

It's not the state that is bad, I'm 15 mins from one of the best if not the best bass fisheries in the world ( California Delta). The state has great hunting for every thing from water fowl to deer and elk and bear ect. I can still walk 10' out my back door and sight in my rifles, shoot the AR or shoot clays. No it's not the state I hate but it's the Jackasses running it.

-John Wayne

sorry boys, but with your gov, and how you voted for the pres, you are what you are,,,,

I think California is a great state for men and women who like the outdoors it gets a bad rap because of some of its ridiculous laws. In this incident the guy shot what is a trophy to him I don't care if it's 147 or 247 it means a lot to him. The game warden from the article appears to have an agenda. That may be biased by the press. I'm guessing if the kid pushes it to the courts he'll win but you never know.

I think game wardens as a group are great people like any occupation some aren't very good or carry a grudge. I know quite a few, some well, some just through casual contact. I've only had problems with one in over 40 years of hunting and it was a problem. This warden got into the habit of pulling into a little piece of property I have that's off the road. About 3 times a week usually on a Saturday or Sunday during hunting season he would stop and eat lunch. After lunch he would then put the seat back in his pickup and go to sleep for 3 or 4 hours. I happened to mention it to his supervisor who I shared a goose blind with, dumb on my part. I was then harassed for a year until they reassigned him. He checked my license 5 times one day, searched my pickup because I agreed to it every time he stopped me. Most I think are great but this one had a grudge maybe the one in California does as well. Hope the guy gets his deer back.

Tyler if that's directed at me, I know most on this site didn't vote for most of the politicians now in office. Its why my son left Cali. loved the outdoor opportunities but couldn't stand laws and regs. on everything in life. Cities control rural lifestyles in the state.

Well, there you go elkun, Thank You! Now i know for sure what you are!

Joey

California is like Sherwood Forrest and Jerry "the Sheriff of Nottingham" Brown, along with his loyal minions, pretty much control everything.

But don't worry folks, as you know, Colorado is now a blue state also......for the exact same reasons! Your time is running out also!

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Joey, are you trying to say that elkun sounds like the idiot redneck he is? Only problem is, he is a insult to a true redneck.

RELH

RELH, takes all kinds i suppose but you are on the right track.

I myself used to complain here of the brainless selfish acts that i came across each and every time i visited to hunt a particular state. It got to be where each time a post came up against the people in that state, kinda like how this thread here is now going, i'd jump on the band wagon and sing my tales or agree with others against that particular place on the map.

I stopped doing that some time ago and i'm glad i did. There are good Folks everywhere in every state. Just because i am Blessed, no reason to look down my nose at others.

I can't control how folks 200 miles away vote. It's the country that we live in, majority of the vote wins and i guess it's a price that we have to pay for having it so good. I get my deer tag each and every year. I get to hunt bucks. Some years, if i draw out, i go outa State after better bucks. I fish, i hunt, i work, i eat good, and i'm thankful to the Man Upstairs. Life here ain't all that bad no matter what others who don't have a clue say!

Joey

chill boys, iam just screwing with you.l i know theirs good cals, but some of the stuff your state has passed is really bad,,,,

Give us time elkun, we are trying our best to ship out of state all those screwballs we have here. Take a look around you and will see alot of fleeing liberal idiots in your own state. Watch out they will try to change your state also. One reason Colorado went blue due to the CA. liberal transplants.

RELH

I learned many,many Moons ago never upon ever to shoot the Game Wardens Buck!

Not sure elkun ever learned that lesson?

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

The warden should have...shouldn't have??? Does he have an agenda? Never trust a story in the paper but one thing even the hunter agrees to...the deer was
shot illegally. A rule is a rule....don't like it then change it. Really no different than any other. Doesn't give you the right to violate it and no I'm not taking sides just pointing out that it appears the one thing everyone admits to is the fact that the deer was shot in violation of a law stupid or not.

game wardens buck, game wardens buck , they dont get no buck, if you shoot the game wardens buck you dont ever let him know in public, learn how to play the game elkassasssin, its way passed just a ticket,,,

>
>"It turns out that one of
>the biggest bucks ever shot
>in San Diego County......."
>
>Really?
>
>"The deer is a trophy buck
>of a lifetime, scoring 147
>non-typical, 143 typical frame. It
>had a 4x8 rack (four
>symmetrical points on the right,
>eight non-typical points on the
>left and split eye guards,
>rare for a Southern mule
>deer). Kettl said the buck?s
>score is the highest ever
>for a California mule deer."
>
>
>Really? Kettl should be cited for
>that statement alone:)
>

Actually the muledeer that inhabit the coastal and inland mountains of southern California are a sub-species of the Rocky Mountain Mule deer. They are smaller in body and antler size. A kind of Cous muledeer you could say. A lot of people think they are black tail, but they aren't that iether. I grew up hunting them and the thick chapparel that they call home, as well as extreme hunting pressure make them quite the hard critter to find let alone hunt. With out a doubt the toughest place in the country to get a trophy and 147 is HUGE.

thanks,
oakbrush

>RELH, takes all kinds i suppose
>but you are on the
>right track.
>
>I myself used to complain here
>of the brainless selfish acts
>that i came across each
>and every time i visited
>to hunt a particular state.
>It got to be where
>each time a post came
>up against the people in
>that state, kinda like how
>this thread here is now
>going, i'd jump on the
>band wagon and sing my
>tales or agree with others
>against that particular place on
>the map.
>
>I stopped doing that some time
>ago and i'm glad i
>did. There are good Folks
>everywhere in every state. Just
>because i am Blessed, no
>reason to look down my
>nose at others.
>
>I can't control how folks 200
>miles away vote. It's the
>country that we live in,
>majority of the vote wins
>and i guess it's a
>price that we have to
>pay for having it so
>good. I get my deer
>tag each and every year.
>I get to hunt bucks.
>Some years, if i draw
>out, i go outa State
>after better bucks. I fish,
>i hunt, i work, i
>eat good, and i'm thankful
>to the Man Upstairs. Life
>here ain't all that bad
>no matter what others who
>don't have a clue say!
>
>
>Joey
>
>
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

I agree with you Joey. For thirty years I enjoyed hunting northern Cali, from the Trinities to the Warners and all points in between. There was always plenty of room to roam to find whatever critter you were looking for. In all that time, I rarely ran across a deer hunter who was anything but respectful and a sportsman. I can't say the same for other western states to that same degree. Cali has it's downfalls, as do ALL other places. I often find myself missing a lot of places out there.

As to the Original topic, I don't much believe news reports word for word and often find there are many factors not reported. I hope it all works out for the best for the hunter/deer in question.

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom