When to visit RMNP?

hntbambi

The wifey and I are planning a road trip this September to RMNP. When is the best time to hear the elk screaming? The dates are not set yet but early/mid/late September are open for us.

3rd week seems to have them going pretty good. Never been there in Sept. but that seems to be the best time in the woods with my bow.

LAST EDITED ON May-16-11 AT 06:36AM (MST)[p]I would suggest any time between mid September and Mid October, with the end of September/1st of October being the best. You'll see rutting activity and hear bugling during all of September and most of October in RMNP, however. Late September is hard to be for the colors/bugling combo.

Just an FYI- there is some sort of elk festival in September at Estes Park???? Not sure of dates but it gets rather crowded down there. It may affect your decision on when to go if you like crowds or don't...
I agree though last week of september for colorado gold and bugling.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I would have to vote for late September. I live in Granby so we spend a few evenings every fall in the park. Stay after dark and things can really get crazy.

mid to late september will be best. it will be a circus. elk screaming all night and sometimes all day...all over the place. moraine park will be crawling with elk and with people and with cameras.

it's a great time to be in RMNP.

Thanks guys! Looking at the schedule, I will be up there probably the 19-21 of Sep then head back south. The elk fest is the first couple days of Oct, so I will miss that. Stopping at Raton, Whittington Center on the way up to see the NRA facilities, then checking out hippie central (Taos) on the way back. Hopefully, it will be a fun trip.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-11 AT 10:49PM (MST)[p]I try and go every September. I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming so not too far of a drive. The end of September is hard to beat. If you can, avoid the weekends. There are a ton of people. Find one of the bigger meadows and park. I would suggest taking some chairs and adult drinks, if thats your thing, and sit back and enjoy the show. There will be a lot of people who will pull out a little table and chairs, sit, have dinner and watch the elk go nuts. It is a great time.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom