Where are 2011 Stone and Dall pics?

L

littlejoe

Come on guys, lets see the pics and hear the stories about 2011 Dall and Stone sheep hunts? Something I will never do and love to read about.

Here is a link from a British Columbia forum. All the pictures except one are from residents shooting British Columbia stone rams. One Stone ram was taken on a guided yukon hunt.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?70651-2011-Stone-Sheep-Picture-Thread

Just looking at those pics makes me sad I did not head north this year. For me I will be hunting Rockies the first few days of the season and then a week at the end. I already told the girlfriend I will be busy the first 2 weeks of August for the next decade or so. Already have next years stone hunt planned out. That is if I dont get drawn for Dalls that is :):)

BHB

4409bc_stone_sheep_8-11_103.jpg

3294bc_stone_sheep_8-11_111.jpg

Here's my crazy story...let me start by saying that God is great and he takes care of fools and idiots so I"m covered either way. I decided to retire from the company I worked at for 37 years on May 31st, I can't quit working but with the last several years being an exec over HR and climbing powerline poles and transmission towers my first 23 years there I needed some sunshine and decided to start something on my own. My wife and I along with another couple attended a SCI function in San Antonio where a woman walked up to me and said that she had heard I wanted to go on a sheep hunt and she had a deal for me. The first thing I did was s start looking around the room for my buddies, I knew I was being setup and now my wife was looking at me like I had a 3rd eye in my forehead. We both knew that for the first time in my life I didn't have a job and in this economy, chipping away at the nest egg isn't exactly brilliant! I told the lady thanks and to tell my amigos good try but I wasn't biting, when my wife asks the woman about the details of what she was talikng about...man she must be in on this cruel joke. The woman went on to say it was a fifteen day cancellation hunt in northern BC for Stone's Sheep with option for goat, bear, and wolf for about half of the sheep hunt with other species at trophy fee rates if I harvested any of them. I would need to be in sheep shape in 8 weeks. I told the lady thanks but I really can't right now when my wife piped up and said I was a doggone fool...wow she's good and I still don't see any of my so called buddies standing around snickering with a drink in their hand. My wife then said you've worked for the same company for 37 years and you"ve talked about sheep hunting ever since I've known you, you worked hard and you deserve this opportunity. OK where's the candid camera? The woman, who was a booking agent, told me she would hold it for 48 hours and that a couple of my buddies that had hunted sheep and sent her my way would book it if I didn't and before the night was over there were about four other people interested in the hunt. I called every sheep hunter I knew and learned this was an old established outfit with long roots in BC, I called the outfitter and references and about 36 hours later had booked the hunt. Eight weeks to get ready found me hiking 7-10 miles in the Texas Hill Country 3-4 days a week, runninng miles in the mornings before these 100+ degree days got cranked up, swam laps when I could, heck I even rode a stupid 10 speed bike in hills when I could and got back into a more sensible diet. I ended up losing about 20 pounds I gained having an officce job the last few years. As they say you never really get into sheep shape, especially when you live at 500 ft above sea level and will be hunting at 10 to 15 times that altitude but I felt I was ready.
We humped it hard for about seven days but no legal rams, I vowed that I would not be tempted by goats, bears, or anything else before I harvested a ram but let me tell you what, that was tough. I saw about 7-8 slammer Billies by this time and I was getting discouraged about killing a ram but I held tough. I finally killed this ram late on day 13, the only day we left spike camp without horses and of course he took us around the other side of moon before we could catch him in the on again off again fog that rolled in and out. He was about 9 miles from camp when I killed him and we packed head and hide out on foot getting back to the spike camp super late and took horses back the next morning for the meat we cached. It was a trip of a lifetime and a real blessing from the Lord, hey and my wife is a superstar also, I don't know if I'll ever get to make another sheep hunt but I've been home for three days now and I still can't explain the emotions I feel for what I experienced...all I can say is never say never, you never know when the Lord will smile down on you! And, I sure am glad I've been building points in the lower 48 for sheep as well as other species...my wife and I drew Antelope tags in WY and I drew a late plains tag in Dec in CO for Mule Deer. Wonder if lightning can hit two morw times this :)

Congrats Tsbret on a fantastic ram. Your smile says it all. Good luck to the both of you in your future hunts.

Eldorado

Hey ts,
That's a dandy and you did it right! Lighting could strike you for a "hat trick" of hunting this year. Congratulations. I too have the sheep bug and I want a stoney bad!

tsbret,

Great story and an excellent Stone sheep!
I would rather hunt the wild sheep of the world than any other animal.

Congratulations!

Zeke

Nice ram!

Here's one my GF smoked a few weeks ago. Saddly I havn't found one for myself... yet. I have another 3-4 days of hunting planed next weekend though.

3539dscn0386.jpg

5884dscn0352.jpg

4298dscn0378.jpg

Got this ram on Aug 12 in the Central Alaska range. My buddy and i both got nice rams and had a fantastic time. C.W. is a great guy to hunt with!!!!!

361dallwood11comp.jpg

39302dallcomp.jpg

8267sowcubs11.jpg

It's all part of the experience Clarke!!!

Thanks for all the congrats from everyone! Bambistew that's a smoker ram...and dlove great ram also you two guys make a great hunting team! Congrats to all

Laus Deo
tsbret

Nice rams guys! Congrats...I saw a few Grizzly's also...Kinda glad they were always a ridge or two over though!

Laus Deo
Bret

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom