Where do Alpine bucks go to shed?

I have a bachelor group of bucks I have watched the last few summers. They hang out above timberline, 13000', and are within a couple hundred yards every year. They head out about Oct or Nov and I never see them again until June. How far will they go? What elevation will they winter at? Where should I begin looking for their sheds? Any help would be appreciated!!

within walking distance of their usual spot, lower elevation than where they usually are, south facing winter range slopes.... those would be my guesses. but seriously i would check lower south facing slopes on the range where the bucks hang out. go buy your self a new pair of danners and hit the hills below the 13000 timberline you usually see them. they are around there. best of luck.

AntlerObsession, some deer will simply go to the bottom of the mountain where they live and stay there all winter while others will go quite a few miles to a specific winter range. The difference can be from 500 yards to 50 miles and the elevation depends on the amount of snow there is in thier range. Less snow higher up they'll be, more snow and they will winter lower. I suggest driving the paved roads this time of year and glassing the South facing slopes and the drainages. If you see deer there now then they will be there in March when they shed thier antlers. Don't go out until Late March and throughout April because you will push the deer around during a critical time of the year when they need to keep thier winter fat and running them around is very hard on them. In April there is some spring growth and they will be moving to lower elevations to get to growth where the snow has melted. Some states have laws making you wait until May 15th to shed hunt. Although we do not have a law like this in Nevada we will probably see it in our future. At present time, if a game warden catches a person moving deer around you could get a ticket. I've heard of a guy getting a $600.00 ticket while changing a flat tire in the vicinity of deer so take note that this is a serious offense. Please keep the well being of the deer in mind and have a good time. Hope this was helpful for you. fatrooster.

I assume that the limiting factor, if there is one, for bucks to stay up that high is the snow level. Now I admit I've never had the courage to hike up there in Jan., but the snow level at our cabin (10,100') is between 4' and 6'. Would this motivate bucks to move to lower elevations?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-11 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]Is this a trick question? Unless the deer in your area have some kind of tunneling equipment, I would think so. However, some years ago I remember a story of airline pilots seeing deer way up on top of the continental divide, on the wind swept slopes, in the middle of the winter. Most deer move down to traditional winter ground, even without a lot of snow. The does move down and the bucks follow. Some deer obviously live low all year long. I also remember watching one of the older hunting shows made by Father Eastman. They had on film the same buck in two locations that was around 100 miles apart. This buck traveled that far within a few days. Just recently there was an elk that was tagged somewhere in the southwest corner of Wyoming and was killed by a hunter half way across the state. I can't remember the details but I will get it and post it up.

I would take a look at google earth and some topo maps to see if you can find a likely route they would take to get to a lower elevation.
Then as stated earlier look from afar with your glass.++++++++6

Around here some basins are 30+ miles from summer range to "hard winter" range. Soft winter may end up in between somewhere on the right s-w facing slopes. It changes with each year similar snow pack will yield matching hot spots sometimes a decade apart. Find the deer now and hike later wherever you find bachelor groups at the "unicorn phase" of the winter.

Is this a trick question?

It may sound like a stupid question. Being from Phoenix, I am as naive to snow conditions and the effect it has on deer as anyone. :) AND we don't have 13000 ft peaks either! Thanks for the advice so far!

There are a lot of variables to consider. As was said above, some deer will travel 50 miles to winter, and some will travel just a few miles. It depends greatly on the country surrounding the alpline country. The nearest low elevation country with adequate feed would be a good place to look.

I know here in Utah on the Wasatch front the deer simply move a mile or so down the mountain. If there's one good ridge coming down the mountain, you can bet the deer use it to migrate downward in the winter and back up in the spring. I have seen this many times and if you glass the ridges, you will see tons of tracks right on the ridge line coming down. Same for elk around here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom