Where Have All The Antelope Gone?

JFWRC

Very Active Member
I've been out cruisin again and this year it seems is even worse than last year. Seem like the northern I-25 corridor west of the interstate is about normal. However, other east areas are pretty piss poor. I am not seeing numbers between Clines Corners and Encino or near Vaughn. Ramon to Roswell seems pretty bad as well. I went from Tucumcari across the Caprock to Ft. Sumner to Vaughn as well. Very bad.......

What are you guys seeing? How are things in the Gila and southwest? How are things near Tatum and Livington?

Are there some Department of Game and Fish out there that can comment on surveys?

I took a drive out to the northeast last weekend I put over 500 miles checking things out. I saw the exact same thing you are describing, I did see goats maybe 40 but no big numbers, I did however see 15+ dead goats that birds were picking at. G&F need to get in the air quick and find out what is going on.

Last month I left my friends place in Tijeras and drove south over the hills to Hwy 60. Then headed west back to I-25 and then south to Socorro. Took Hwy 60 again to Datil and about 5 miles before that "spot in the road" I seen ONE single Lope and no horns. At Datil, took Rd. 12 south to Hwy 180 and south to Rd. 78 close to Mule Creek. Back up by Glenwood right off the hwy there south of town I spotted 2 Muley Does about 125 yards from the hwy just laying there "chewing their cud".

Was not really out looking for game, just if I spotted anything while driving this stretch of back roads on my way to AZ.

VERY DRY CONDITIONS through that part of state.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

On the Ake Ranch of Travis and Tammy Kiehne, South of Datil, they have been doing a helicopter coyote control program and in four years they have brought their herd from about 80 to over 400. The last flight they took 18 coyotes in a short few hours.

Drouth sure doesn't help but coyotes are the big limiting factor in my estimation.

So how are the pronghorn on the Ake ranch. Thriving? Poor horn growth? What about other ranches in that area, John Hand, Harriett? Thanks

cabuck,

They are doing great. We have had exceptional moisture over all since last fall. There are some big goats all the way across the St. Augustine plains. On the average between Horse Peak and Magdalena you will see a half dozen 75-80+ bucks right now just driving the hwy. The VLA area has some big goats always as well as south of Magdalena on the road down to T or C on the east side of the San Mateo's where they killed a 91 buck about three years ago.

If I had a tag it would be hunting around the Ake ranch and as you said the Hand and Harriet ranches as well as Carol Coker Spires ranch. The elk are taking over Carol's ranch. They have been living on her ranch on the plains all summer, and a bunch of them, along with her exceptional speed goats and her population is good.

Travis Kiehne (Ake Ranch) with his aerial gunning program (helicopter) has made a huge difference in the goats. He has the state record taken two years ago.

Eastern NM with my friend and hunting partner, Pat Lyons, on his and his brothers big ranch (south of Tucumcari) is doing better than most as he has some big crop circle irrigation land that give his antelope a huge bump in horn growth. I have three of their four tags one being my 23 yr. old grandson whom has dreamed of killing a big goat for many years. This ranch normally produces two or three record book bucks every year.

Numbers are down in the plains from ranchers I know , including the Hand's and Farr's. Elk doing good.
Used to see 30-40 in a herd in 12.Not anymore,and it's closed. I still see good healthy animals,but way less in last 5 yrs.
Same with deer,their almost gone.

Stoney,

Thanks for all the info. My best friend has a public tag for the Ake ranch. My daughter drew a Hand ranch tag in 2011 and I helped her get a 85 2/8 net B&C. I will be going with my friend on his hunt this year, just curious as to the conditions compared to 2011. Thanks for the help.

Don Perrien

Wow Don-A tag on the AKe. Now that is something to be excited about. I know you know what has been taken there in the last couple of years:)

Talked to a manager of large ranch operation in the central portion of the state last night. He covers 400,000 acres +. He indicated he is seeing normal numbers on his places and has in fact, has noted lots of does with twins. He emphasized that the antelope are hanging around GREEN. If its dry....its bye bye. The area on the Lobo south of Pedenal Hill on #285 south of Clines Corners has been very dry.

Going out again today. I will cover a bunch of territory east central.

Ok-403 miles and 10 antelope. Left burque early this AM to Santa Rosa. Nada. Went south to Ft Sumner. Nada. Went from Ft. Sumner to Dunlap and went across the Dunlap Ranch back to #285. Saw 3 antelope, 2 does and 1 buck. Buck was a dink. Let me throw a rock at him at 30 yards. Does looked awful. Will post pics. 1 doe had teets that looked fairly full. Looked for the fawn......not anywhere to be found. Cruised from Mesa back to Vaughn. Nada. From Vaughn to Encino. Nada. From Encino.....fives miles north, saw a great buck on west side laying down in the green. Looked to left and saw 2 does and 3 fawns. Just above them, a nice buck on the east. From there on......Nada.

Glassed quite a bit on the trip. Best glassing was the B1 bomber down near Dunlap. He was having fun flying all over that area. Was way cool when he hit the gas and disappeared into the clouds.

3869044.jpg

4814046.jpg

9187045.jpg

Jimbo, if you'd quit throwing rocks at 'em you might see 'em more often!

Was working east of Estancia last week and saw two big herds. One stud buck too.

Sean-Are you coming though town and not calling.....I'm hurt? How bout I buy you lunch next time your here. I'm glad folks are seeing them. I'm talking an MI hunter out the 26th at Springer. Can't wait to get started:)

Was east of Springer....north to Farley, north to Capulin.....pretty sad. Back to Springer to Miami--awesome!

Saw some babies but very few.

Jimbo

Drove I-40 from alb through the Texas state line on Thursday. Saw two good bucks between Santa Rosa and Tucumcarri on the south side of the road. One was a good 80" buck.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom