Where to glass low desert bucks

M

MD

Kind of a stupid question, but i need to be sure....

I'm somewhat new to hunting and very new to hunting in the low deserts. Been out in 24B and saw a decent buck bedded down....he was laying on a southern facing slope when i spooked him.

I've hunted the Bab and always saw bucks laying on northern facing slopes (and was told by pretty knowledgable hunters to focus on glassing the northern slopes)....

Question is, for lower desert muleys, do they lay on the southern facing slopes to warm up (E.g. they can't tolerate the cold like the big bucks in the Bab?) Or should I stick with glassing the northern slopes....thanks guys and happy hunting.

Miles

I have seen them on the east and west north and south slopes. Wherever the shade is that is the place to look. Usually east facing though for the majority. I know this doesnt help but desert muleys are there own breed and they are unpredictable. But this time of year find the does and you will find the bucks. The other day I glassed one bedded in the west slope under a mesquite.

There was a buck killed this year that went 190 and was bedded on the southwest slope faceing directly uphill and the wind to his face.(No wonder he was killed). I've seen big bucks wandering aimlessly in the flats and out of no where bed down. So don't forget to look under every greasewood,Palo Verde,or mesuite in the flats as well.

North, south, east, west...high, low, flats, drainages, canyons...and after you've looked everywhere...You know where you'll find the big bucks? You'll find them right where they're at! Then shoot! Good luck!

Scott G.

Thats the truth PDub!!!! I look for cover more than I look on specific slopes or sides of a hill. I look for what they'll be eating and glass those areas or around water in the morning. My last trip out they were eating alot of Palo Verde and not Ocotillo which is opposite to what usually I see.

Donnie

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom