where to put in for desert sheep?

joebobhunter4

i was wondering what states are kind of cheap for a non-resident to get in on draws for desert sheep? being 15 i want to get in on some draws so maybe i can get lucky in the years to come...and like which states have pref. points and which ones dont.

and what state is kind of cheap to put in for that has pref. points? so maybe like like 30 years i could have a chance at drawing a tag?

thanks

I think we've been through this before, haven't we? I thought you drew a ND tag and started thinking about a desert ram then.

The only state that fits your description (cheap for pref. points) is currently Utah with its bonus point program. But that will change come 2008 when you'll have to buy a license (like other states such as AZ, CA & NV). New Mexico is cheap to apply, but they don't have a point system and the tag is over $3K if you do draw.

I know that's not what you wanted to read, but that's unfortunately the way it is. Game departments have figured out that they can get people to buy a license if they require it to enter a draw or to accrue bonus/preference points.

Really no such thing as a cheap desert sheep. You are now a decade and then some behind in the bonus point game for sheep in Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. Statistically, you are so far behind you will never have a decent chance at a permit (less than .5 %). Even with a lot points as a non-resident, the chances of drawing a desert permit in your lifteime are very slim. It can happen, though

If you apply everywhere there is a desert sheep tag tag, and buy one of every raffle ticket every year, and assume you have 50 years (that depends on your age and health) to apply and tag numbers and applicants remain fairly consistent, you have about a one in four chance of drawing a tag in your lifetime. Certainly no lock, but it is possible. The best thing you could do to increase those odds is become a resident of one of the two states with the most tags, Nevada or Arizona.

Joebob,
Being 15 you have your whole life to dream about a Desert Sheep and if you are patient and persistent, you will eventually draw. It could be next year, if you apply for more than points, or it could be much longer. Every year I see people draw with no points in Utah. That is a long shot for sure, but it happens. In my book, most kids your age are still not putting in for sheep, so you have a drop on them. Eventually us old guys are going to die! Then you will be first in line. Start now and be consistent in whatever states you can afford.
Some might tell you that I am feeding you false hope, but I believe hunting is all about patience, and so is the hunt application game. Try Utah, Nevada, and Arizona if you can afford it. It won't be cheap, but Good Luck!

Put $100 a month in a good mutual fund EVERY MONTH from now until you are 55 (40 years x 12k/year=48K in principal, God only knows how much that will amount to with interest at a meager 6% or 8% a year), go down to Mexico and shoot a pig...Or when you are 18 move to a state that has desert sheep to increase your odds. Shooting roosters in ND gets old doesn't it? I am kidding, I know it doesn't, but if you set your priorites early on when you are young you should be able to hunt deserts some day.

Almost forgot the most important advice a bitter 30 year old divorced guy could ever give a young kid...NEVER GET MARRIED, for any reason whatsoever!

Or perhaps marry a girl who's dad is a rich oil tacoon, and is looking for a son in law to take sheep hunting? Seriously though, if you need to save hundreds of dollars a year for 40 years, you are simply never going to blow it on a single hunting trip, and you will be old for sure, if you live that long. Do whatever you can to go as soon as possible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom