Where to take elk for processing in Phoenix?

Outdoors

I used to butcher and package everything I killed when I was younger but prefer to have someone else now make jerky, pepperoni and summer sausage for me. I can handle cutting and packaging the steaks and grinding some burger.

I did a "search" and appears as of Dec 2009 that there was not a single Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale wild game processor that got high marks here on MM.

I will be hunting near Flagstaff so for Plan B, I could have the elk processed in Flagstaff but not as convenient since need to drive for a couple of hours each way to get the meat. Is there a Flagstaff butcher that gets high marks?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I am a big fan of Mike Miller at Southwest processing. He is in Queen Creek, so its not right in town but closer than Flag. He puts out several trailers in the elk units that will transport your animal back to the Valley. He usually has one at Clint's Well which might be the closest to you. I worked in his shop for a little bit and can speak to the quality of the work he does.

if ya just want jerky-summer sausage - we always take clean deboned meat to Denmarks Meats - like grand ave and northern- i think - they used to process game animals but no more- they make some of the best summersausge around - they do all kinds meat processing - just take clean - deboned meat !

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-10 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]have you used your OUTDOORSMAN'S RESOURCE GUIDE.Has all the information you will need for hunting your area and driving to your area.

www.OutdoorsmansResourseGuide.com

1-877-842-1258 they can help ya out it has like 10 meat processing places listed in for your area.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

If you are passing through Payson, you might consider Brownings Custom Meats. Jeremy has been a butcher for several years and has opened his own place.

Browning's Custom Meat Processing
404 South St. Phillips
Payson, AZ
928-978-3512
602-708-1920

In Flagstaff, I have used Flagstaff Custom Meats just down Main Street from TR Taxidermy. Casey's Processing in Flag is also highly recommended by many, but I have not used him.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

+1 Muleymaniac. If you are just looking for Jerky and Sausage Denmark can't be beat.

Another vote for Denmark sausage near Grand ave and 75th ave. Another place that I use every now and then is Schreiner's Sausage down near 7th street and Thomas I think. Best of luck on the hunt!
BB

Thanks everyone!

I start hunting on Tues in 6AN. Reports are the bulls are quiet. Maybe the next 5 days will be enough to get the rut going.

Was up in 6AN last weekend and the bulls are real erratic with the bugle. Pretty active in th early a m and they go quiet shortly after light. Heading up this afternoon in an hour or so. Some bulls are rutting pretty good chasing smaller bulls off. GOOD LUCK!

I dropped off a deer and elk off at Jeremy's in Payson. Great customer service. Nice shop.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom