where to take new hunter

J

jeff28

I'm looking for info on a good zone for a fisrt time hunter. Didn't draw anything first goround, so there options are A,B,C zones. I'm not asking for your best spots just somewhere they might have the best time and chance for a buck. Thanks.

"where to take new hunter"

To the rifle range, then to the rifle range, and i'd then again take them back to the rifle range. Not being silly here, just by far the best advice i can give. Shoot standing offhand sitting, prone, all kinds of field positions. Let them get real familiar with their weapon long before hunting with it. Don't forget the 22lr! lotsa bang for few dollars.

A zone if you can get on private property, can be great!

B zone, i'd say best chance at a buck and the harder you work the better your chances.

C zone, most that kill in this zone know where there is a few good trails, set up a stand, and wait. I believe it's a real tuff hunt and i live here.

Joey

CA has some good youth hunts. It is to late this year to apply. What part of CA do you live in. When I was in CA my kids had good success in J14.

Other than that, if you have a few bucks spring for a guided pig hunt with a good outfit that has access to good private land. Willaby was a decent one.

Also, applying out of state is a good suggestion if you can afford it.

PM me if you want some info on J14 or out of state hunts that you could still go on this year.

it pretty late to draw any hunts out west but the Midwest now is still open.
One State I know you can still get into the draw is South Dakota West River.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

You might try Fort Hunter Ligget (A Tag). There are tons of deer on the base. Also near Hollister the deer are plentiful. The big problem is hunting public land, it tends to be very crowded.
Tell me where you would like to hunt and I can give you more tips. I am born and raised in this crappy state and have killed 28 deer in the last 32 years of hunting here.
Paul
Nice Rack Taxidermy

>You might try Fort Hunter Ligget
>(A Tag). There are tons
>of deer on the base.

+1 on Hunter Ligget - I hunted the base for years and we always did well. I have not hunted on HL for 7-8 years but I always liked hunting there toward the end of the season. As Paul said, tons of deer and if your willing to work some of the canyons that others don't want to put the effort in you might be surprised what's in there. Big area but easy to navigate and you never know when you will run across pigs, happened to us on several occasions.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom