Where's the Fawns?

P

Prism

Just wondering if any of you have noticed the lack of fawns this year in Utah's northeastern region? I've seen a handful, but not near the number that I've seen in years past.

Another weird thing is the quakies around here. There must of been a really late hard frost because there are a lot of trees without any leaves and the trees with leaves look like they're not doing too good.

www.neverenoughbiggame.com

YA,I'VE NOTICED IT TO Prism!!!

LACK OF DEER ALL TOGETHER!!!

THE DEER HERD AROUND HERE CAN'T AFFORD THE LATE CURRANT CREEK DOE SHOOTER HUNTS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING Prism HAS SOMETHING BETTER THAN A COVETED N.E. REGION TAG IN HIS BACK POCKET???

I have noticed the leaves being frost bitten. I have also noticed that the fawn crop hasn't been very good. I have seen about 10 doe's, and only one had fawns. The fawns could still be hiding. But the predators are getting thick in my area I have seen a lot of coyote scat that looks like it had deer hair in it and my friend also saw a mountain lion last week end.

Its been the same with the deer around here in Idaho. I have only noticed a handful of fawns. Hopefully they are just the future big bucks practicing their hiding acts.

BTW, Prism, just picked up a copy of number 2 the other day. It was awesome! I would say that never enough is the best series out on the market. You get variety, quality, entertainment and a real sense of what hunting is all about. my hats off to you and the videos! Keep it up
Dan

Utah had a late, hard frost the end of May/first of June. It hammered the oak and aspens on quiet a few ranges. The June frost in 2002 killed 50% of the oak and many of the Aspens in some areas. This last frost killed about 75% of what was left in some valleys. I usually see more fawns the end of July then the start of it. I think a lot are still hidden somewhat.

Packout is right on. Most does keep the little ones pretty well hidden during the first month only visiting them to feed them. Of course thats a generalization and there are exceptions so you'll see more popping up in a couple more weeks. We have does right around our house and I have seen the does but not the fawns yet. Hopefully your aspens aren't dieing off like they have in many parts of Colorado and hopefully you guys don't get a pine bark beatle infestation. But if you do, you can blame it on SFW and the UDWR. ;)

i saw a fawn this past weekend that looked like a new born. we also saw another doe that looked pregnant. it seems late.

lv4huntn, Thanks for buying the DVDs, and I'm glad that you like them. It's been a lot of fun (and work) putting them together.

I'll be hunting some private land in the coveted NE region. If I wasn't hunting private I'd be over on the central or just saying the heck with it and sticking to the archery hunt on the Wasatch. But, the rest of the family will be hunting the nomad buck once again and I plan on capturing his demise on camera this year!

I'll agree that it's a bit early for seeing many fawns, but I've usually seen a whole lot more by this time of year. I watch some fields almost every night that will usually have 50-100 deer in them. I have only seen one fawn this year in the fields.

Them Colorado does must drop earlier cause I seen plenty of fawns over there last week;)

www.neverenoughbiggame.com

Out here by me, I haven't been seeing as many fawns as I did the last two years....but it may be a little early. I did see two sets of twins last night....I guess maybe we'll see how many we're seeing in a few weeks or so!

SCOTT

Went out this morning(s.w.Wyo),and saw quite a few fawns,some twins.Only started seeing them in the last week and a half or so.Antelope fawns and elk calves same thing.Just started making themselves visible.

I just got back from scouting this morning. We didn't see one fawn the first two days but 5 today, two sets of twins and a single.

Saw 2 sets of twin fawns yesterday A.M. in eastern ID. Did see 2 does that I couldn't put fawns on but I really didn't look (were scouting for elk.)

I'm sure they did as all the deer were in the same area and I doubt that 2 does would have live twins and 2 does would be dry.

I saw my first fawn on Saturday in central region. We'll start seeing more, this is about the time I started seeing them last year. We had a great spring and winter, don't fret yet.

Ive noticed it here in SEUtah also. I have been up on the mountain every day for the last two weeks and only see a few each day. But i have Found alot of bear scat aprox. eight piles wich indeed had fawn hooves in them. I think the bear are the hardest thing there is on a fawn crop.. Trent

I'm ready to fret now. Last year was a boom year for fawns. I haven't seen nearly as many this year.

On one piece of property here in Idaho that I hunt around every doe that I have seen has either a single or twins...this area got quite a bit of snow this last year...and a few late snow storms
The area has little to no predator control...and ive seen tons of black bears and coyotes...along with a couple mountain lions
YB

Mixed bag in Ca..seem inland fawns hitting the ground later
(maybe the heat). Coastal seems normal or better than last few years. Bucks everywhere look much better than last few years
much fatter and healthy looking, racks actually have mass...
Rackmaster

Where I have scouted in SE Utah, I have seen very few fawns and a handfull of pisscutter bucks.

I'll admit that I'm starting to see quite a few more now in the northeastern region of Utah, but not as many as in years past and it seems they're later this year.

I know what the DWR tells us about buck to doe ratios, but it sure seems to me that in areas with good buck to doe ratios there are more fawns and they're born earlier in the summer.

I know the areas that I poke around in with buck to doe ratios in the 25-35 bucks to does there are a lot more healthy looking fawns with twins being the norm.

As others have stated. Probably a little early to see lots of fawns. 1st 4-6 weeks does hide them out. Wait til end of august 1st part of sept. Also observation of 10-20 does is a rather small sample size.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LoL just got to say it " he's sitll on Happy Day "

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

Here in NW Nevada, the fawn crop is doing pretty well, about 1 fawn for every doe (including yearlings does). With the heat, the does and fawns are hanging out by the water, and the bucks are rising late and bedding early. Tough to see/judge them without any light. Makes me want to get a swarovski 80mm scope, but can't do it for 2 grand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom