Which .44 is better?

O

ozstriker22

Please help,
When I hunt now I use a scoped 30.06, but I'd like to start also carrying a .44 handgun. When I'm really good with the .44 I plan to start leaving the .06 in the truck.

But for at least a year or so I figure I'll carry BOTH my rifle on my back and the .44 in a shoulder holster (If nothing else, good backup).

Herein lies the dilema, Members of my local gunclub are selling these two guns:

1. Ruger Red Hawk 7 1/2 inch blued. Minor holster wear. $300
2. Ruger Super BlackHawk 10 1/2 inch Stainless. Close to new condition. $350

Pricewise, the SBH seems a better buy. And I prefer stainless. However, at 10 1/2" it is ONE HEAVY MOTHER!!! Which would you buy, and why?

Thanks for your time!

Jesse

ozstriker22... The Redhawk is a double action and the Super Black Hawk is a single action. You are right about being a heavy mother also. I myself am a double action fan for carrying a pistol while hunting. It will also get surprisingly heavier when you add six fully loaded rounds into the cylinder. I have for years been the fan of the S&W MDL 29 in the six inch so my choice would be for the Red Hawk. I just like the idea of "if" ever needed to get off some quick rounds all I have to do is pull the trigger and not have to pull the hammer back. Just my opinion.

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

Thanks, Ridge Runner. But I made a Type-O.

They're both Super Black Hawks. The one for $319 is a 7.5" blued and the one for $350 is a 10.5" stainless.

Which one would you purchase?

Jesse.

If a shoulder holster is not in the deal, you better price them. It may get hard to find and expensive to put that 10.5 in a shoulder holster. Myself I would get the blued 7.5, more easier to pack and the barrel lenght is very good for pistol hunting.

RELH

I too am with RELH on the 7.5. Easier to pack around plus if and when you do switch over to just packing the pistol for hunting you may want to add a scope to it. Weight and length into play again. Hope this helps.

Happy trails

Ridge Runner

Thanks for your opinions, fellows. I can see length and weight being a problem, especially with a scope on it. The 10.5 DOES include a shoulder holster (for an unscoped gun), the 7.5 does not.

I could see me taking a standing shot at 50 yards with the 7.5, I think there's a possiblity with the extra weight and length it might be hard to steady the 10.5 without leaning on something... or am I incorrect?

Jesse

Ozstriker22;

I have a D.Master rating as a pistol shooter and I still will use a rest, tree, rock, backpack every chance I can get to make sure the shot will hit a vital for a clean kill. I still feel that in the long run you will be happier with the 7.5 barrel over the ten inch tube. Elmer Keith was one of the best long range hunting pistol shots, and if you read his books, you will notice that about 95% of his shots were made using a rest, or a modified sitting position and using his knees for the rest.
RELH

Hell I was there! Mr. Keith was the man. I just read somewhere about him that he was on one of the flights that a bomb had went off in the cargo hold and they had to make a emercency landing and evacuate the plane. It was a rare time that he was photographed without his Stetson as he had to leave it behind in the overhead. A bit off the subject but just came to mind.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin griz"

Point taken. I will always find a rest. Especially if there's a good chance of chatching buck or boar fever! I can use my pack frame if I have to.

I've come to a couple of decisions... I'm passing on the 10.5... and I'm holding off on the 7.5... I think I'm going to try to find a stainless Redhawk or a Taurus. After looking at these guns, I really like double actions. Not that I'd have a real need for a double, but you just never know!

Oh yeah, do you guys find a noticable difference between a 5.5" and 7.5" barrel on a .44?

Thanks!

I would take a 5.5 or 6 inch over the 7.5, but that is only a personal choice. The animal you hit will never be able to tell the difference.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom