Which Ammo?

Duckdon83

Ive got a Winchester Model 70 in 270 that Ive been using here in California for most of my hunting. This year will be my first mule deer hunt and wondering what adjustments if any I should make with my ammo? I shoot 130 GR. winchester Xp rounds.

Thanks

I don't see any reason to change that.
If you have good accuracy etc that is plenty enough bullet for a Mulie.
What state are u hunting hust out of curiosity.

Will be hunting pine valley in Utah, stoked to be able to chase some bigger bucks than Im used to. In another year or two Ill have enough points to draw a better tag here in California.

Remington CL Round Nose? Please No! God No! lol

Being that you hunt Cali as i do too, you might want to be looking into one good bullet that performs well in your particular rifle and that you can hunt both instate, lead free, as well as out of State Hunting trips. I really liked that ideas so have gone with Barnes Vor-tex Ammo for my 25-06.

They have a 130gr TTSX in 270 Win, that gets talked up as a killer and would flat stone any muley buck that ever lived. It's a decent option...

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Thanks for the input sage, I've heard good thing about those rounds! And yes I realize they haven't drawn yet but should be fine, especially after the large increases to tags in that unit.....

The only negative i see in the Barnes Ammo is it's a little expensive, imo, and some of it is not loaded to as high a FPS as another manufacturer might put out. I could easily gain 100 FPS in my 25-06 ammo with another Co's ammo but I'll be in Compliance when i need to be and i well remember what that 25-06 did to a bunch of nice bucks, both muley and blacktail, back 30-40 years ago when i last seriously hunted it. Stoned em! :)

I hope that you do draw out, lots of fun going and all that entails. Seems about 4-5 Cali points these days will put you in a decent northern part of the State Muley limited entry area. That's not a bad wait between Muley hunts and we can always hunt cross bred or pure Blacktails. I'm not sitting on my points this year, i'll be tring to draw with a very good chance to.

Good luck to you!!

Joey

Thanks again sage, I'm excited for getting out in the woods with a good buddy! If we get bucks than it will be the cherry on top. I've got three points here in California so I'll be waiting a couple of years for one of the better hunts. Till then is B zone and out of state to learn.

Good luck and God bless

Come on guys, really? Can you check a ballistics table and see for yourself how Round Nosed Bullets do at loss of velocity and energy at distance compared to other better designed pointed bullets?

Try looking up Rem 270 Win 150gr SP and 30-06 180gr SP ammo. Look at the charts and compare.

If you don't care, i could care less but don't recommend that junk ammo to someone that's looking for good advice and expect me to remain silent. The only other round that might be worse for "Western Type" hunting of big Game might be a Full Metal Jacket.

Joey

>
>Come on guys, really? Can you
>check a ballistics table and
>see for yourself how Round
>Nosed Bullets do at loss
>of velocity and energy at
>distance compared to other better
>designed pointed bullets?
>
>Try looking up Rem 270 Win
>150gr SP and 30-06 180gr
>SP ammo. Look at the
>charts and compare.
>
>If you don't care, i could
>care less but don't recommend
>that junk ammo to someone
>that's looking for good advice
>and expect me to remain
>silent. The only other round
>that might be worse for
>"Western Type" hunting of big
>Game might be a Full
>Metal Jacket.
>
>
>Joey
>
>Keep your slimy Paws Off My,
>Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Not too mention that gawd awful green box screams "garbage"......but that's just my opinion ;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom