Which bolt action rifle

stillwaitin

So I am thinking of getting a new rifle for big game. I have been to Sportsmens and Cabelas to look at them. I am just wondering what brand everyone has had and had good or bad success with. I am think either the Tikka, Remington 700, Ruger. I would also like a Browning but they are a bit much for my budget. I am looking to spend somewhere in the $500-700 range. So wondering which of these or others (Winchester or Savage ect.) you would recommend or advise against. I know there is a lot to be said about feel as well so I am working on that. Thanks in advance for the info.

I think out of the ones you mentioned at the price you have to work with I would first choose Remington 700

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 04:00?PM (MST)

This is a loaded question and you will get a million different answers/opinions:)
so here is mine - but I'm a diehard Remington guy so I will say Remington. The model 700 has been around a long time and many custom gunbuilders will use a model 700 action for their builds. Or a 700 clone like a Borden or Stiller and more I can't name off-hand.

For your price point I'd maybe look at a SPS stainless, or if you like wood maybe a CDL in the caliber of your choice.

I know that many will say that new Remingtons aren't as good as they used to be, well they are still plenty accurate. The last 2 I bought, a 7mm-08 CDL and a Alaskan Ti in 25-06 are both shooters. The 25-06 will shoot under 1/2 inch with 100 grain TSX ammo. So thats not bad in my book for a factory gun.

The other reason the Rem 700 is a good choice is you can find a million aftermarket parts to dude it up however you like. You want a aftermarket bolt shroud no problem, firing pin no problem, trigger, stock, the list is endless. Sure there are plenty of Ruger parts but just check, the model 700 has more stuff you can do to it than any of the others. So if you want a semi-custom just surf the internet for parts and your good.

But you will get plenty of advice, just find one they fits and go shoot it:)

Nice rifle oregon!! +1 for rem 700. all my new rifles will probably be 700's. Like mentioned many parts available and very easy to work on. Good luck. What caliber you looking into?

stillwaitin I'll throw in for the Rem 700 also. The only thing I'll mention is that the Tikka T3 would be a better choice if you do alot of mountain/backpack hunting since it only weighs 6 1/2 lbs or so.

Good luck in your search!

I too would opt for the 700. Sportsmens here in St George has some on sale. Cabelas also has a BDL on sale for $569.00.

Another vote for the 700. I have yet to have one let me down. However i will say that i like what browning has done with the x bolt. I wouldn't be upset if i had to buy one.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

I vote for the Weatherby Vangard, comes in a bunch of calibers, it's in your price range, accurate, and good looking to boot.

>700
>
>Joey

Joey...That has got to be your shortest post ever on MM...LMAO...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks a lot for the advise, I was leaning toward the 700 anyways. As far as caliber, I was thinking 300 win, 300 WSM, or a 7mm. So I am still trying to decide on that. I will be used mainly for Elk and some deer as well.

>Thanks a lot for the advise,
>I was leaning toward the
>700 anyways. As far as
>caliber, I was thinking 300
>win, 300 WSM, or a
>7mm. So I am still
>trying to decide on that.
>I will be used mainly
>for Elk and some deer
>as well.

I've really enjoyed my model 700 in 300 WSM. Awesome caliber
"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

You could go for a 700 but for a really good rifle I would go Winchester you can get feather weight for about 700. Grin somebody had to say it. :)

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Probably the remington 700 out of the bunch you listed. 300 win or 300 wsm are good elk medicine, my favorite for elk is the 338 win. I do like the Tika, Browning X bolt and Weatherby Mark V rifles better though, but they can cost a little more.

My advice is to buy a great rifle once instead of buying and selling cheaper guns... just my .02

I have 3 weatherby rifle a 300 win mag, 308 win, 257 wby mag all shoot great but might be a little more then you want to spend. They do have some good offerings for around $400-500. That said 1+ for the remington 700 SPS stainless. I bought my son a remington in 308 win and it feels and shots great. I made up some hand load 2 weekends ago using barnes 130 tipped tsx and shot a 1/2 5 shot group at 100 yards. I would go with the Remington if I was going to by another bolt gug

Remington, Winchester, Howa or Weatherby Vangard and Savage would all work and can be found around your price point. All of them shoot reasonably well by more smiths can work on the remington.

I own a couple 700's one in 300 win one in 280 and I like them both. My Tikka T3 has taken over as my carry everywhere rifle. It's slick, smooth, and shoots incredibly well. For the hunting I do I choose Tikka. They aren't, in my opinion, built as well as the 700 if your going to pound on it. The Weatherby Vanguard is an awesome gun for the money too. It all boils down to preference. If you really like Browning I saw a used stainless X bolt in 30-06 for $650 at Gander Mountain today and I've seen them for less.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the input. I am still deciding, but just wondering what was a good website to compare ballistics on different calibers. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Again.

I love my win model 70...7mm mag but if i had it to do over again i wouldnt get the 7mm you dont have the ability to go down to a really low grain bullet like you can with a 300...I just bought a remington sps and while it looks good i dont know if i like it yet. Only shot one box through it though. Howas make a great gun for the price too.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Well after all this I ended up getting a good deal on a used Browning A-bolt. I was at Sportsmens looking at the Rem 700 SPS and was close to pulling the trigger (no pun intended) but ended up deciding on the A-bolt. Thanks again for the advise and help.

Winchester or a Sako.

Having said that, get the one that fits you the best and has the features you value most (3 pos. safety, mag vs. clip, monte carlo vs straight comb, etc.) All are getting good reps for accuracy, save for Ruger.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom