Which Broadhead

Triple_BB

Very Active Member
Been shooting field points daily for several months and things are dialed in. I paper tuned my G5 Striker broadheads but haven't had a chance to get out and shoot them past 20 yards until today. Wasn't sure it was even the same bow. Those broadheads are spraying all over the target. Rather than start more tuning, I figured this close to hunting season I'd try a mechanical broadhead that might closely match my field points. So I went and talked to one of our local bow shop experts. He said Grim Reaper's 100 grn broadhead are matching his field points and he had to do almost no tuning to get them to shoot. I then go to the other shop and that guy said he shot Grim Reapers and found the Rage 2 blade broadheads required less tuning and more accurately matched his field points. Anyone care to chime in on which 100 grn mechnical broadheads most closely matches their field points? Thanks...

Huh? Most ANY mechanical should shoot like a field point. They have little to no blade surface area. To analyze which one shoots more like a Fp seems kinda silly to me. Furthermore, if you have a good shooting, compact head like a Striker spraying all over, you have something wrong. That head should easily be made to shoot well. IMO, just shooting a mech to cover up bad tuning is a poor "fix". Solve the root of the problem, tune your bow, train your form and then if you still choose to shoot a mech, fine, but don't use one as a band aid. Just my .02.

>Huh? Most ANY mechanical should
>shoot like a field point.
> They have little to
>no blade surface area. To
>analyze which one shoots more
>like a Fp seems kinda
>silly to me. Furthermore,
>if you have a good
>shooting, compact head like a
>Striker spraying all over, you
>have something wrong. That
>head should easily be made
>to shoot well. IMO,
>just shooting a mech to
>cover up bad tuning is
>a poor "fix". Solve
>the root of the problem,
>tune your bow, train your
>form and then if you
>still choose to shoot a
>mech, fine, but don't use
>one as a band aid.
> Just my .02.

Yes.

Mechanicals are easier to get to fly with your field points, but it shouldn't be very hard at all to get a short, compact fixed blade to fly with them as well.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

BigP, no disagreement on proper tuning. I've got a time constraint at this point and am just looking to see if I can match my 40 yard field tip grouping consistency. If so, I'll feel confident with my set up for this season. Thanks for the replies...

Time constraint you have had a year to tune your bow !!! its called im a bow hunter not a bow shooter ......

>BigP, no disagreement on proper tuning.
> I've got a time
>constraint at this point and
>am just looking to see
>if I can match my
>40 yard field tip grouping
>consistency. If so, I'll
>feel confident with my set
>up for this season.
>Thanks for the replies...

I have been a fixed blade guy my whole life. I have however changed my setup from top to bottom this year and have been shooting the new Trophy taker Ulmer Edges 100gr. I am shooting 6 in groups out to 90 yards. These are the real deal, they fly amazing and hit extremely hard!! They where designed by Rusty Ulmer and have been field tested by alot of great bowhunters including his brother Randy. For performance results look at a broadhead review on Archery talk forum started by Seth. These heads will not disappoint!!

I'm with Shooter21 on this one. Going to a Mech cause you have not tuned the bow is not the right way to go. Do a walk back tune with the FP. Get back 30 yards and do a BH tune. Move the rest till they impact together and your done. I can broad head tune my bow in one evening. It ain't rocket science.

There are a ton of good Mech's that fly well. I am very interested in seeing how the Ulmer Edge performs on game. It will take a year or two to see of there are any flaws. The rear deplying head does seem to have an edge.

If you can't get that G-5 Striker to fly straight same as the field points out to 50+ yards your bow has some serious issues.

))))------->

Some times the issue is speed or lack of it the reason heads dont fly good .not always the bow.

Just had a friend go through the same thing this week when switching from Montec (shooting awesome but wasn't happy with sharpness) to Strikers. He put on the extra washers from the package and problem solved. It sounds like PFM to me, but maybe it'll work for you too.

IDK why your buddy is having shapness issues with the Montecs. I have shot mine into hay stacks over 50 times and if i forget and shoot in the same spot twice in a row, those broad heads are so sharp still, they cut my fletching clean off my spines. Now, if that isnt sharp, IDK what is. BTW, i'm shooting only 40lbs at 27" draw with my Matthews EZ7, 100 grain Montecs and the easton axis 500 spines. It is a killer and deadly accurate.

I picked up some Ullmer Trophy Takers after reading and talking to some folks. It also didn't hurt having a free shipping coupon and some Cabelas bucks. Haven't shot them past 30 yards yet, but they group just like my field points. Downside with the blades locked in, is they're blowing up my target. I have a hard foam target that is about 12" thick. The arrows go in half way, but with every shot a big chunk of white foam flys out the back of the target. At this rate I'll be looking for a new target real soon. We'll see how things group further out this weekend. I appreciate the replies...

Not to beat a dead horse but...

Here's my real world test with the ulmer edge 100gr, they shoot great as well as all the comparable mechanicals, I shoot a well tuned 69# 29" draw 290fps bow with a 397 grain total weight maxima hunter 350 arrow. Hit a muley at 58 yards perfect broadside shot(sound of the impact was very very loud), hit him in the shoulder blade right at the middle of body, arrow only penetrated 8-10 inches. Deer traveled over 5 miles never bedded and we never found him, I believe he's still alive. From now on I will only carry the mechanical for a follow up shot on a hit animal at long yardages, otherwise it will be a fixed blade. I have had plenty of success with the same exact rig shooting mechanicals, blown big bones apart with Grim Reapers and rage2/3 blades, I don't know if the outcome would've been different with another mechanical or I just hit him in the absolute worst spot (maybe the spine/rib that runs down the shoulder blade at it's thickest point????), but I do believe that buck would be dead if I'd pulled out the arrow with the montec. I am sure that people will have success with this tip this season and beyond, as there are so many variables in the game an apples for apples comparison is hard to come by in the real world of hunting.
Good Luck to all this season,
Spear

A dead horse we are a beating. :)

flyingspernv, First obvious problem as you pointed out was shot placement. Put that shot behind the shoulder where it belongs you have a dead deer. Second thing IMO with the testing I have done on Mechanicals is that your low on total arrow weight. Most mechanical heads have a wider blade cut. Rearward deploying blades such as Rusty?s head doesn't take much to open so there isn't much loss of momentum there. However with the blades being wider it does take more weight to push it through than a fixed blade, But the result is a bigger hole! With today?s faster bows you should be able to blow through even an elk with any mechanical head. But it's not going to do it in a shoulder bone with a light arrow. 420 grain or heavier arrow and your deer is dead, even in a shoulder shot. Here again I believe the Mechanical head is getting a bad rap and is being blamed on a lost deer when IMO it was the lack of knowledge in the total set up (arrow weight) and shot placement. I'm not a fan of the Ulmers Edge for personal reasons but don't bag on Mechanical heads when it was your own lack of knowledge and shot placement that cause the loss of your deer.

GBA

Another thought. Are you sure you got as much penetration as you thought or were you just going off of the blood on the arrow? Reason I ask is when I was 16 I had a 45 pound recurve. I shot a feral dog in the head straight down at the base of my tree. I have a fixed blade Satellite. I watched the arrow literally bounce on the dogs head/skull and he went screaming out of there. When I picked up my arrow it had 4 inches of blood on it. The dog bleed like crazy and I tracked him down into an irrigation ditch where he was laying in that water in a bad way. I shot him with the same arrow and finished him off. My point being I did not get the penetration that the arrow showed. Matter of fact I don't think I got ? inch of penetration if that. However if I was to go off the blood on the shaft I would say that I had plenty of penetration. BTW, these dogs were German Sheppard?s left loose to run wild and run deer into the ground. We would kill them on sight. I'm not sure where these dogs came from but we always suspected they run off from the Amish that lived in the area at the time.

GBA

GBA,

8-10" was an estimate as I saw thru bino's at 100 yards, later found 15" of nock end brock off as he slipped sidehilling on a slab of rock (had blood on broke end but may have just ran down arrow shaft or sprayed as you have said), never found front end don't believe it came out in the 5 miles we trailed (maybe didn't come out at all as the blades lock once deployed). This leaves 14" plus tip, I do not believe all of this penetrated from what I saw and how the deer reacted. I do not claim to be an archery expert and can only go by personal experiences in the field, as well as the advice of peers and local experts. Sorting thru every experts recommendations, such as yours, is tough. I did use a heavier arrow along with a grim reaper when I killed my bull elk , blew thru ribs entry and exit complete pass thru, broke one blade off on entry rib. You maybe right, 23 more grains of weight would have resulted in a recovered animal along with better shot placement without a doubt. Montec on the arrow, closer shot, fraction of inch I moved as my brain went through the shot from level to pin to pull thru on the extreme sidehill shot (getting level was extremely difficult and didn't feel natural on a slope that was difficult to stand on) no doubt would have had a different result. Yeah, I f'd up, I'm not proud but I felt I should pass on my experience to hopefully help other hunters learn from a real world no BS experience, knowing I'd get ridiculed.

I was not bagging on mechanicals just saying I will be using fixed from now on unless it's a very long follow up shot on a hit animal or I have to shoot someone's dog before it climbs up a tree to eat me.

If you've seen Randy Ulmers NV buck from this year you've seen theres no blood on the entire right side of his body, photoshop-nah, lack of penetration probably, poor shot placement-possible but not probable, did he use his new ulmer edge-one would hope so, was the shot over 70 yards like most all his kills,elk included-probably, or maybe it simply was not a heavy enough arrow-due to his lack of knowledge.
Spear

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom