Which Dog?

infinitecircles

After 10 years the wife says if I am going to be gone mid August through mid November hunting then she gets a dog in the house. It will help her feel safe she says. Unfortunately my short hair and Lab didn't make the cut. Who on here has house dogs and what kind? Kinda like the mini Schnauzer or maybe a scottie. My oldest boy has Asthma so it needs to be a fairly clean dog. Thoughts?

I would go for the compact size dog, say...a Great Dane maybe! You may find yourself out on the porch when you get home. Seriously, coming from a medical background, if you have kids with asthma, pets can be tough on them. Buy a good Smith & Wesson. That should make her feel more protected than a dog but not quite as cuddly.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 04:37AM (MST)[p]How about a Boerboel? I just gave my wife the ok to get one. They look cuddly.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]We have a Chocolate Lab, a French Brittany, two Chiuauas' and three full size parrots'.......none of which will protect you from anything.

On the other hand, mice wearing tennis shoes can't sneak up on my house.

My wife is VERY comfortable with the Winchester pump and 00 buck.

If you have medical issues with pet dandruff, don't visit me.

Get a female Rottweiler.

Teach the wife and kids to spoil it and teach yourself to mostly ignore it.

By this time next year, you will have a 100 pounds of "home security" that will be hard for intruders to get past.

Get a schnauzer. They don't shed and are great with a family.

We have owned 3. I never wanted a house dog (my wife did) but
I wil admit, you kind of become attached to them.

My wife has a Lhasa Apso (sp), and at risk of sounding like a wuss I think she is great. She also doesn't shed at all. My Weimeraner is great for outside, but for inside the Lhasa is perfect!

baldDog.jpg

If you live with 45 he would think 2 german shephards to protect lil ole me, LOL for asthma I would go labrodoodle I hear they are one of the best for that.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]I already have the lab and GSP, they just don't come in the house. The dog idea isn't necesasaraley for defense, more to alert her if something is up. She knows where I keep the 1911 and the shotgun. Probably handles the 1911 as good or better than me.

Dang feleno, what kinda dog is that?

I'd recommend a Shitzu. Very loving animals, tons of personality, do not shed. We've had 2 now, lost our first one almost a year ago, she got hit by a car in front of our house. Cried for weeks. Anyhow, they make a great family pet, especially great for a wife/mom.

Vizsla! A little larger than what you may be looking for, but they are AMAZING family dogs! We have a female and she is only about 41 pounds. They LOVE to love!!! Soooo friendly!!

You know that you are going to get all kinds of opinions.... and you also know what they say about opinions!!! ;-)

S.

:)

I would strongly consider an electronic home security system with battery back up. Switches on all outside doors and windows, with motion sensors inside for when you're gone.

They never sleep, never eat, or require vet bills. No problem with allergies. It also doesn't bark at false alarms. Set the perimiter and nobody or nothing can gain access without you knowing.

Between the alarm and my wifes .45, she has no worries when I'm gone.

I got mine about 10 years ago and never worry. It was about $1000, money well spent.

You can still have a lap dog if you want. Just don't leave the dog in the house after setting the motion sensors.(Like we did one time, LOL!)

Eel

+1 for the snauzers. My daughter has asthma and has slept with her snauzer for years with no ill effects. With two snauzers in the house NO ONE can sneak up on the wife and daughter. Wife knows how to handle the .357 and shotgun if needed.

Phantom Hunter

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 07:51PM (MST)[p]Dead dogs are the best!
How about a boner chihuahua? The dog that gets bigger when you pet it!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom