Which elk unit did you put in for?

Layemdown

I put in for 31 Special with 5 NR points. May the elk Gods have pity on me.

Layemdown

"Vegetables are not food, vegetables are what food eats!!"

Wife and I both for 54 with everyone else in the world, she has max points.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-12 AT 07:28AM (MST)[p]100 Special max points...figured why not at least put in for something...getting tired of hording points.

24 - max points. Put in for the cow permit as a second choice.

I guess we will know in a few weeks. Good luck to all of you.

What made you in for 108 just curious, same unit I put in for, have max points put in for the regular. Did you have a place to hunt?
Brian

Same gig for me-----I am going for 6 for 6 in a row Any Elk--'cheapie fee' as normal.

Plus, I always fudge my bet with a RP cow/calf too....

Robb

Won't be a resident until after season starts so I went with the old standby, Special General. Guarenteed a fun hunt. Good luck to all.

Elklover thanks for the encouragement I debated a while on this one and have been second guessing myself. As rough as 61 is even with horses it gets tougher every year to stay in shape to hunt it well. Best of luck to you.

goldhunter,
I put in for this also. Have you hunted it before? Any advice for a first timer?
Thanks Chas

111 nonres regular max points. can't believe no one else posted that they tried 111. time will tell, good luck to all. ce61

>111 nonres regular max points.
>can't believe no one else
>posted that they tried 111.
>time will tell, good luck
>to all. ce61

We applied there last year. There's so few tags the odds swing back & forth. I think you'll catch it on the backswing.

ce61, I think you'll have a great chance to draw. In "10" only 6 max PPs applied for 111 and there's 3 tags. But 113 had a season that year. Last year (11), 29 folks applied. We were 3 of them. BUT 113 wasn't open. it is this year. i figured we had a 50/50 chance if we applied. But we applied for 7 instead. Too many tags for their to be much of a swing and my Dad isn't getting any younger, neither am I for that matter.

Anyways, good luck........and post about your hunt if you draw.

I also applied 111 nr regular fee but was just waiting to see if anyone else did.I kind of have a feeling that I will draw but hope in a way I don't. The reason being that after thinking and researching a bit more, the private property may cause a problem.

If I do draw I will give it all I got, but I am concerned. Anyway, there are definitely two of us that applied. Also, after looking at the draw odds, it seems that drawing success has swayed back and forth between low success and high success annually, and this year should be a HIGH year if the odds follow that concept.

64-2 special with 2 points but i put in with a party of 3 others with 5 points so i should draw.

I have a question for those of you who put in for area 113, i looked at the f&g website it shows there is only 75 antlerless tags this year. so my question is why burn max points non a cow hunt.

Moseley MIddleton

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-12 AT 10:44AM (MST)[p]moseley---You are looking in the wrong spot as what you mentioned was in the Rules & Regulation section for last year when there was no "any elk" season. This year there is 113-1 that is for any elk and it open 11/5. That is what they are all applying for. There is also 113-4 season for cows that opens the same day. I would agree that I wouldn't be burning max PPs on a cow hunt. They won't even know how many tags are being issued in either one until after the draw and things are posted under the odds on the F&G site. Hope that answers your question!

K thank you for clearing this up. i know there is some good bulls in the unit. Ive hunted the unit for deer and seen some quality bulls the best being about a 350 7x but with the odd of 25 bull tags total i wont be putting in for this unit. 1/3 of the tags will go to the landowners who kill the biggest bulls or charge more than im willing to spend when i can hunt an area with just as good of bulls with the same draw odds for a res. the differnce is how hard you have to work. 113 is definantly an easier hunt than 22.

moseley middleton

I spoke with the biologist for that area (113) acouple weeks ago He indicated to me there would pry be 5 non resident bull tags for 113 in this years draw to best of his knowledge. He figured 1 would go into the special max pool, 1 into the regular max pool, 1 into the special random, and 1 in the regular random. He didnt specify which pool he thought the 5th tag would go.

Topgun, heres a question for you, or anyone else who knows the answer. You seem pretty up on this kind of thing. Not sure how WY does there drawing on this type of question. Say in the above example, a party of 2 people put into the draw. Would they have a chance at drawing considering theres 2 people yet hyopathically 1 tag in each of the above catogory's. Or are they automatically unsuccessful in that sitaution? Just curious is all, doesnt effect me as I put in as a single applicant.

Furthermore, I found this interesting observation reguarding 113. Eastmans showed 113 as a yellow chip area (Marginal), yet Huntin Fool classified it under the best units for Wyoming. Another interesting observation, Unit 2 Eastmans calls a blue chip area, Huntin Fool didnt even mention it as best or good. I too spoke with the biologist for unit 2, he steered me away from applying there, suggested trying the Bighorns.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-12 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]WY will pony up the addtl tag for a party.
In addition, the LO draw is prior to the NR draw and those LO tags come from the NR pool. It may or may not affect this hunt.

What WB stated is true, but I wonder if there were only that few tags in the draw and a party of six put in together and got drawn. That would, in effect, double the tags the F&G would issue compared to what they planned for. It may not be that big of a deal for elk, deer, and antelope and that's why they allow up to six to apply as a party. You can't do that for the goast, sheep, and moose though.
As far as reading what those two magazines put out, I would still do a lot of work on my own and unit 2 elk is a good example that was just mentioned because public access isn't that great and from what I understand the elk are either on or go to private property quite a bit. I think both, and especially Eastmans, makes recommendations just based on the odds and they themselves have quite a bit to do with that by even recommending units like they do in their magazines. If a unit is good, it doesn't take very long when they list it to screw up the odds of drawing a tag. I know for a fact that they hunt units that they don't list in their magazine. There is one elk unit in particular that Mike hunts and they have never mentioned it in their show or magazine as being one to hunt!

Chas,

Sorry I'm a first timer also, just picked the unit based on Eastman and Huntin Fool. Want to spend my points as I don't think Wyoming has units worth building lots of points.

In 2010 there were 50 total tags issued for the 113-1 tags according to the Huntin' Fool. Before we applied I reviewed the 2010 drawing odds report. There were 3 NR tags issued in the NR special PP draw, 3 NR tags in the NR reg PP draw, 0 NR tags in the NR special random draw, and 1 NR tag in the NR regular random draw. No guarantee that the same number of tags will be issued this year but we decided to roll the dice. We had been putting in for 100 almost every year but my cousin couldn't go early this year so we decided to try for the later hunt scheduled for 113 (as we also did in 2010). I also noticed that Eastman's didn't even include it this year and looked back in their 2010 magazine and the unit was colored yellow for marginal but if I recall correctly their tables didn't even list it as an available hunt then either. It will most assuredly be lottery odds again this year to draw so in all likely hood it is just a more expensive route to gain a preference point!

Good luck to everyone in the draws!

Horniac

Good luck on that! With only a 0.79% chance with max PPs in the 2010 NR Reg Draw and 3.09% in the Special Draw, I personally can't see even bothering putting in for a unit like that unless you don't want to draw it and put in for a second choice that you want to hunt and think you have a good chance of drawing it.

Unit 7 type one with 4points

"Easy now, keep the croshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze the trigger"

Kinda on the same subject, Wyoming does a lot of things right with their draw. The 60/40 Regular/Special is one IMO, the 75% to max PP holders is another. And the everyone gets a tag is fantastic.

I've applied in other states with lottery odds that had 2 tags the year before. I put in with a partner and find out after the draw that they cut the tags to 1. I never had a chance.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom